Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 DEALING WITH DEER HUNTING PRESSURE >

DEALING WITH DEER HUNTING PRESSURE

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEALING WITH DEER HUNTING PRESSURE

Old 06-17-2006, 03:34 PM

Default DEALING WITH DEER HUNTING PRESSURE

with all of the people running around in the woods on public land
during deer hunting season. with all of the deer running around all over the woods looking for a place to hide out. where would be a good spot to hunt
at? the places i have hunted deer before is in open woods where i see alot of does and small bucks but not bigger bucks. on the public land i hunt soon as the deer rifle season opens the deer seam to disapear. where would you look for them at?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DEALING WITH DEER HUNTING PRESSURE

Go where the deer go, Where devils fear to tread.
find out where the does go when the pressure comes on.
Then follow those does, remember the big boys will go where the girls go.
If they go in the thick stuff then you follow, if they godeep in the swamp where no hunter in their right mind would go,
Then get out of your right mind and follow them if you want that big boy bad enough, you'll go where he goes.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up hunting Michigan public lands, which are amung the most hunted anywhere. I found that hunting multiple areas, and spending serious time in the off-season scouting were critical. Keep in-mind, when hunting areas that are being pounded, the big ones either get killed or learn to become ghosts.

I would urge you to spend some time knocking on doors of private farms and trying to find a better place to hunt. You simply will-not kill big deer where they do not live. Took me many years to realize this! I now live in Iowa!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

I would hunt in the thickest stuff I could find.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:40 AM

Radio collar studies have shown that highly pressured deer don't go very far from their "home." I would hunt the hunters. Hunt the midday when most hunters are eating lunch. Works for me as all I hunt is public land (in the military).

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:48 PM

I kill alot of big bucks on heavly pressured public lands in Wisconsin. I am even releasing a DVD aboutthat topiclater this summer. I concentrate mainly on marsh's and swamps where gun hunters can't kill all the young bucks doing deer drives before these deer can get old enough to grow big racks. The biggest deer are generally the ones who surrvived a few seasons. They have found small over looked spots in the area where people rarly go. Sometimes every body walks right by a small patch next to the road that holds a monster. Somtimes its in the middle of the marsh. The key is to hunt very close to where the big ones bed and kill them on your 1st attempt before he smells you have been there. That means you have to be mobile and move around alot. I do alot of scouting in the winter locating these hidden hotspots and mapping them for my fall hunt. You can still see the sign real well with post season scouting before green up occurs.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:54 PM

Here are a couple of the bucks I shot in the public marsh last season.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 AM

I have read,been told, and learned from experience that you go where the others wont. Because where there arent hunters there are deer.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kry226

Radio collar studies have shown that highly pressured deer don't go very far from their "home." I would hunt the hunters. Hunt the midday when most hunters are eating lunch. Works for me as all I hunt is public land (in the military).

Good luck.
Bingo .
Before the season begins do aerial studies on a sat site like TerraServer or other to figure out where the bulk of the hunters will enter and leave a property and then get in well before they do . They'll drive the deer right past you . Walk all of the trails you can and observe where they bed and feed , remember that it can change as the food sources dry up later on . The most used trails in general are "meat trails" , the tiny hard to see trails that parallel them are "head trails" left by larger bucks . Once the rut kicks in just getting ahead of the crowd and waiting near any trail or waterhole will do , once it's over concentrate on food sources .
Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Those are some nice bucks Bloodbro

Quick Reply: DEALING WITH DEER HUNTING PRESSURE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.