Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Total deer harvested???

Old 06-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Total deer harvested???

3 deer

1 doe and 1 spike with a gun, last year got my first with a bow 2nd time bow hunting. It was a young 6 pt.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

8 bucks and 1 doe all with my Ithaca shotguns
Old 06-17-2006, 08:44 PM

About 6 with bow, 5 with ML, and somewhere around 60 with shotgun and rifle. Thats been over the past 40 years. Wow, can't believe I just said 40 years, that makes me feel old....
Old 06-18-2006, 09:52 AM

This thread got me to thinking. I couldn't just rattle off how many deer I have taken so far, not that that's a huge number. But began to feel like I should know, if for nothing more than my own personal respect for the deer. And you never know, a small little boy may be really interested when he starts itching to get into the woods. So I created a spreadsheet listing year, location, buck/doe, points, weight (live or dressed), weapon used, and finally a remarks column that would allow me to put down any interesting characteristics of the deer or the hunt. I did one for turkey too. Just a thought.

By the way, my total: 19 - 9 bucks, 10 does...and I am really proud of that ratio. Good luck and hunt safe.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:20 PM

Haha this is an embarresing question. Um 2 deer in the 4 years I have hunted. But, I have learned alot and I hope be bowhunting I can do a whole lot better. I also have land to myself this year for the first time since I started hunting. So that may help.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:40 PM

My main question is this,
I see alot of people posting 70-80 deer in a span of 20-30 years, even a few saying 100 or more in that amount of time. So unless you are hunting several states every year, taking several deer EVERY year, what the h-ll are you doing? Do you need that much venison, or are you just bootlegging that many just so you can killthem?

I've had my share, and I've let pass several that could have been nice, just because I knew "I didn't need to kill it".
Old 06-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My family eats 3-4 deer a year, and we give some away besides to friends, relatives etc. Also, I cannot speak for other states but Iowa has an outstanding donated venison program(just started though) where all you have to do is take a deer to the meat locker and chip in a fraction of the cost. I know many hunters who participate in it....the meat goes to the needy but, interestingly a big portion goes to the state prison system, (havent desided what i think of that yet) Dont know about other states.

I have seen what some 'hunters' (not in my book) do though...dumping whole deer in ravines, or just cutting off the backstraps, maybe a ham, etc. They are the ones running up a score[:@][:@]

Old 06-18-2006, 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: wayomic

I see alot of people posting 70-80 deer in a span of 20-30 years, even a few saying 100 or more in that amount of time. So unless you are hunting several states every year, taking several deer EVERY year, what the h-ll are you doing? Do you need that much venison, or are you just bootlegging that many just so you can killthem?

I've had my share, and I've let pass several that could have been nice, just because I knew "I didn't need to kill it".
Not sure how many I have killed also but killed my first deer when I was nineteen and now am twentynine and think the total is around maybe 15 or so. But as far as shooting to many deer, cant speek for others but around here I have non hunters and old timers just begging for deer meat so when I do get extra my problem is deciding who to give it too.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

wayomic
I see that you just registered yesterday and already have 15 posts. I haven't been here too long myself, but I have finally figured out thatif I over think what is posted on message boards I willdrive myself crazy. A question was posted, and forum members responded.The End.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:45 AM

quote:

Alabama's bag limit is 2 deer per day for the span of our 110 day deer season. I'm hunting about 15,000 acres in the Black Belt of Alabama. Only myself and 3 or 4 other guys hunt all this land and there are deer everywhere. Pretty well all we take are does and mature bucks. I've taken close to 150 deer myself and less than 20 of them were bucks. Overpopulation is a huge problem in this part of the country so a significant number of deer have to be taken. As far as what we do with the meat, this also happens to be a very rural area and is the poorest county in the state. I have no problem giving deer meat away. Nothing goes to waste. Most of the people that have these high number of kills, live in states with incredibly overpopulated herds of deer and long liberal seasons.N.Carolina, S.Carolina, and Alabama always seem to be at the top of the list. The crazy thing is even with some people taking this many deer every year, the herd continues growing. Evidently, some of you people from states where you only get to kill one deer, need to come over and shoot some more of the dam things. They're running around here like rats.

Quick Reply: Total deer harvested???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.