Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Does anyone use decoys during rifle season? >

Does anyone use decoys during rifle season?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Does anyone use decoys during rifle season?

Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does anyone use decoys during rifle season?

Dan O, you want to place the decoy into the wind on the hill that blows from (field or bush) to the Swamp (Bucks Bedroom). Wind direction is usually hill to swamp. Right! I think given the description yeah that would work. Another thought is what about putting your decoy on the well used wildlife paths that are in between the hill(bush area) and the swamp. Rut will have the buck moving with the does. The idea would be the same, but nobody would see your coy. Now the hill will be a a natural point of entry, so where does the deer and really the buck want to come out? The point, the ridges, the valleys(draw)? This is where I would place the decoy. I have used the flambeau decoy, and place it natural travel routes. Also on the hillsides (as this is the one that lays out not stands). Now my only concern is where are you positioned in all this? Remember your wind is blowing to Daddy as well. Are you gun hunting or bow? If gun hunting and possible back off 200 yards with the most favourable and desirable wind direction. If you choose the open hill and possible get in tight with the bush line...so you can see if they come out and move along to the hill, also much better background cover. If you choose the hill can you see the opposite side of the hill or approaching deer from that direction?

It sounds like you know the area and the deer...battle is half over. Blind or stand location will be crucial as wind is not favourable for that swamp, imo. You have to give it a go, I would think the decoy will work, but remember you have to place it realistic (just like goose or duck coys). If looks off he won't commit and drop his wing tips.

Old 11-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dan O sorry I am so dumb, your post indicates it's a rifle. STUPID. STUPID.STUPID!

If your are dealing with a unfavourable wind and situation the best bet is back off as far as you feel comfortable to shoot with the rifle...make yourself a rest so you are solid and camp out. I still suggest 200 yards!

Old 11-01-2002, 10:06 AM

One more thing on decoys that came to mind. bucks may not come a running but hunters will go to shooting! talk to your local game warden ask him about results from putting out decoys to catch road hunters. he may show you the holes in his decoy. my friend is the warden and his decoy is shot all to hell. some dummys will shoot the thing multiple times before realizing it ain't moving. stupid road hunters!

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 11-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the wind blowing from the hill to the swamp the best I can position myself is about 1-200 yds crosswind to the Flambeau doe. My scent will still be blowing over the swamp too, but at least it'll be 1-200 yds further along the ridge of the hill and not in direct line with the doe. I think I'll go with your trail idea. There's one area where the trail is open 50 yds each way that's on a rock ledge above the swamp.

My last thought is that I've got to get a good garbage bag to carry the decoy out in. With my luck the decoy would be blocking my hunter orange when someone saw me carrying it.

Dan O.