HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Best place for a kill shot on a Deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/14500-best-place-kill-shot-deer.html)

chris10 10-31-2002 10:53 AM

Best place for a kill shot on a Deer?

Growing up, my dad always told me,"son, if you can help it, shoot the deer right below the ear, that way you'll dropem right there." And I have shot deer in the neck, right below the ear, and they drop like a sack of potatoes. Where in your opinion is the best place to shoot a deer and why?

Chubber 10-31-2002 11:48 AM

RE: Best place for a kill shot on a Deer?

Right in the boiler room. Hit him in the heart and he will drop just as fast. Head shots are just too hard to make reliably when the deer is usually moving his head around and it is a pretty small area to get right.

Actually, I would aim a little high for the heart, any wear in the upper forward chest cavity will insure a short chase.

Chubber

skeeter 7MM 10-31-2002 11:55 AM

While a neck shot will drop them like now, a miss will result in the ugliest track or finish shot you won't want to experience again. If and I say only if you are really confident in the neck shot and the conditions, range are perfect...go ahead.

However I am with Chubber, the boiler room is the best place. You got lung, heart and a good 7" to play with, taking out the lungs will put them down quick and result in a blood trail a blind man can follow. I never really aim soley at the heart, I have seen heart shots drop and others go way to far compared to lungs. I aim mid line behind the shoulder, it takes out both lungs and often results in heart artiries which gives you loads of blood....longest deer ever went was 75-100 yards with an arrow. With a gun most drop within view and many on the spot.

mello_collins 10-31-2002 12:06 PM

In the heart-lung area. Harder to miss.

Mike

txhunter58 10-31-2002 12:12 PM

Great drawing. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Listen to these guys. What if the deer moves his head right when you pull the trigger? I have seen deer shot through the jaw that will starve to death, but could still run all day and night. A miss of only 2-3 inches could be disastrous.

If you shoot for just above the heart and just behind the shoulder, what happens if you miss by the same three inches? If you go high, you hit the spine, low, the heart, forward, the shoulder, and back, the liver. These are all shots that will put the deer down rather quickly.

burniegoeasily 10-31-2002 12:28 PM

Ive always heard the head neck thing. The best I would say a good heart/lungs. Put it in the pie pan and you will never have a problem. I have seen head shooters knock off ears and antlers. To me it isnt worth it.

Lifes a garden, dig it.

soarkrebel 10-31-2002 12:48 PM

I love to hit them right at the base of the neck where it starts at the front of the shoulder. you still have a pretty good area to hit. and you end up breaking the spine in the neck. just the percussion will cause tissue damage in the neck area. i think of as cutting off the communication to the body. the brain can't tell the legs to run if the line is broke.
the heart shot is the safest . i strees this to my 12 y/o son and he does very well at it. when he gets better take the base of the neck shot. this also doesnt do damage to the head if your going to mount it. i have one on my wall that i did punch a good hole in but because it was at the shoulder neck point the taxedermist could make it so you couldnt tell.

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL

timbercruiser 10-31-2002 02:54 PM

I've shot 4 or 5 in the head, but don't prefer it. Can't beat the behind the shoulder boiler room area. If the deer is straight on and I'm not sure he is going to offer the side view I've shot a few aiming just above the tusset of hair in the middle of the chest, they don't go anywhere, but you need to be on the ground to get a good angle.

varmithunter 10-31-2002 04:49 PM

Just don't shoot them in the ass with a bow. I'm still tracking a buck that I shot a couple of days ago. It was about a fifty yard shot with a crossbow. Now I wish that I had missed!

burniegoeasily 11-01-2002 07:01 AM

varmithunter
I have alway been reluctant to shot a deer in the ass with my bows. My oldest brother insists that he has taken many that way. Have you done it much, and in your oppinion is it a reliable shot?

Lifes a garden, dig it.