Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
arial photo.  now where should i hunt? >

arial photo. now where should i hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

arial photo. now where should i hunt?

Old 10-31-2002, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Default arial photo. now where should i hunt?

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...=2742&z=15&w=1

i can hunt that whole block of land. the block is in the middle and goes further north than that picture shows. ok, if you put your mouse directly in the middle of the picture thats the block i'm allowed to hunt in. there are 2 ponds that i know of. both are on the south side of that block. the bigger pond is on the south/west area and the little one is on the south/east area. there is heavy trees in the northern part which sees very little action and looks like prime cover from what i could tell. so give me your thoughts PLEASE. also tell me where u think pheasant/quail/rabbits/squirrels would be.

thanks!
jjoel

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 10-31-2002, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-31-2002, 07:49 AM

Default RE: arial photo. now where should i hunt?

Man, that's a pretty good looking piece of property. The only thing is that it is hard to pick a place to hunt off of any map, even if it's arial. The only way to pick a spot to hunt to ensure sucess is to scout out the land and know it like the back of your hand. An arial map is good to take into the woods when you are scouting, so if you get turned around then you can look on the map and look for some landmarks. If I had to just wing it, I would hunt squirrels by the ponds. That is where i have success at on my property. Deer are tricky. You need to go and take a weekend and just scout the place out. I don't know if this was the response that you were looking for, but i hope it helped a little.

RYAN SMITH
Old 10-31-2002, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

i might go for squirrels/rabbits on friday maybe saturday. we'll see what my mom says but i think i'll be able to! im excited!

i'm liking that area where that field is surrounded by woods. it might be decent. we'll see!

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...21950&z=15&w=1

what do ya'll think that black spot is on the map? maybe water?

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
Old 10-31-2002, 07:59 AM

Yep solid black on aerial photo is water.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

good deal! i think i got a decent idea where im going to start.

where would u guyz suggest for squirrels? i might do that this weekend.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
Old 10-31-2002, 08:44 AM
Dominant Buck

All I can suggest is scout. See how every thing is moving. Nothing can make up for a lack of scouting.

Lifes a garden, dig it.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looking over the arial shot of this "block of land", if I had to pick a spot relying solely of the picture I picked a spot pretty quickly and backed up my decision by looking at the topo map of the same block.

I would set up at almost the exact center of this block (about 1.2-1.25Km North of the farm house. There is a thinner strip of field that looks like the locc ness monster's neck and head. (Easily identifiable). Halfway thru the neck of the monster it appears there is a small line of trees or brush going across this strip of field running North/South. Go just a bit further South from this treeline (about .25Km) and there is a much more faint line of brush running East/West. By using the topo map this faint brushline is indeed identified as a creek. (Probobly more of a dried up creek bed, but whatever). I would set up one stand/blind just inside the strip of woods on the West side of the monster's neck, slightly North of the brushline. I would set another stand/blind on the West side of the monster's neck, slightly South of the brushline up where the monsters neck has a "bump" on it. If you set up in the woods on top of "the bump" you can probobly see Southeast into the field which makes up the monster's lower neck and into the taller, weeded area to the North west. The taller weeded area to the NW has a nice faint strip of trees running due North from the trees where I'd set up my second stand and that's real good. When deer move across fields they are usually looking to move to cover ASAP and look for these lightly wooded areas to make transition into the heavier woods (hopefully where you can see them coming and ambush them).

No matter what advice you follow. Scout the area, treading LIGHTLY. Try to leave no sign you were there and find as much sign that they were there. MAKE SURE you check the creek beds or any other wet areas well, looking for tracks in the soft dirt and mud that makes up the banks. When I find good tracks in the banks where deer have been crossing, I usually use a stick to try and smooth out the soft, muddy track area. This way, when I return I can check for FRESH tracks left in the mud.

Approach of the stand sites should be determined by the wind direction.

Now....."Go Get Ya One!"

Old 10-31-2002, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the tips. im gonna go ahead and print off the topo and probably will go scouting and do some squirrel shooting tommorow! i'm all excited!

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!

Quick Reply: arial photo. now where should i hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.