Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Knife sharpeners.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Knife sharpeners.

What do ya'll reccomend for knife sharpeners? Don't want to pay alot.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Knife sharpeners.

Lansky makes a great kit for about 20 bucks. I've even used it for sharpening broadheads. The Lansky is slow and tedious though.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Dominant Buck

The Ultimate Edge Model 5N Companion Five Inch Narrow Diamond Sharpening Steel

$13.50 $11.50
2 Used & new from $11.50

Usually ships in 4-5 business days
Old 06-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

Lansky makes a great kit for about 20 bucks. I've even used it for sharpening broadheads. The Lansky is slow and tedious though.
Ditto! I have had mine for15 years and havebought Lansky sharpeners for every hunter in my family.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

The Ultimate Edge Model 5N Companion Five Inch Narrow Diamond Sharpening Steel

$13.50 $11.50
2 Used & new from $11.50

Usually ships in 4-5 business days
My Newfi guide has a Schrade Sharp Finger knife and sharpens it with the steel pictured above to be like a razer. I have the same knife and sent it to the drawer filled with others that won't take an edge. I guess I better try the steel.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Lansky sharpener has worked well for me...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have a couple of hard Arkansas stones that were given to me and I wouldn't trade them for their weight in gold. Well, maybe one of them....
Old 06-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

The Lansky kit has a angle vise that keep the edge true side to side and really does a good job on a thick or thin blade.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Dominant Buck

90% of the time a knife needs honing and not sharpening. Do you see a butcher stop and sharpen his knives. He uses the knife steel.
I don't use my general hunting knife for butching, because it will then need sharpening instead of honing.

Have you ever seen a barber stop and sharpen his razor, he hones it on a razor strap. He and thebutchers eventually will have to sharpen them when it starts to create what is called a wire edge and it isbeyond honing. Have you ever felt the barber razor pinch you while he is shaving you? That razor needs sharpening!

EDIT:OH, for those who don't know, alwaysstroke your knives with the edge towards you. If you stroke the edge away from you, you will create a wire edge. After you sharpen the knife, run the edge from back to front on the edge of a 2X4 to remove any and if there is a wire edge.
If you use a grinding wheel, you will create a Hollow Grind and it will dull quicker.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

90% of the time a knife needs honing and not sharpening. Do you see a butcher stop and sharpen his knives. He uses the knife steel.
I don't use my general hunting knife for butching, because it will then need sharpening instead of honing.
Great point Rebel Hog... I hate the way some guys destroy an edge!

Quick Reply: Knife sharpeners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.