Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 so what is the deal with the scent gland on rear leg?? >

so what is the deal with the scent gland on rear leg??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

so what is the deal with the scent gland on rear leg??

Old 06-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default so what is the deal with the scent gland on rear leg??

I have read so many opinions about the little dark patch on the outside of the rear leg. I recently watched a processing DVD and the guy never mentioned it- he merely skinned around it. I have read other opinions that said you should have a separate knife to carefully cut it out with, and then resume with your normal knife. I would like to know what the real deal is...How do you handle this gland when skinning/ processing??? Thanks for the help
Old 06-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: so what is the deal with the scent gland on rear leg??

Its called the tarsal gland. I always cutthem off with the same knife I'm skinning with and then put them in a zip lock bag. They make a great cover scent. I've also used them by hanging them on a branch near a scrape as an attractant. I've gotten shots at other deer that have come up to check it out.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:14 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: txrookie

Its called the tarsal gland. I always cutthem off with the same knife I'm skinning with and then put them in a zip lock bag. They make a great cover scent. I've also used them by hanging them on a branch near a scrape as an attractant. I've gotten shots at other deer that have come up to check it out.
Yep..I have done the same...during the rut when deer are getting hit by cars I will pull over and cut them out of roadkill given the opportunity. Best scent that you can't buy.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the tarsals from a button buck I shot last season in the freezer right now , this Fall when I hang them up with some buck pee soaked into them any passing buck that smells them will think that a juvenile is on his turf and will come to kick his ass . I don't hunt for heads personally , but I sure love the look on their faces when that bullet or arrow zings through their vitals just the same .
Old 06-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I cut them off and use them for for attractant or chew on them
Old 06-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Let me tell ya about tarsal glands. I use them during the rut over scrapes. I will make a scrape and hang a tarsal gland over it with some dominate buck urine and let the games begin. Oh very effective at least where I hunt.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:00 AM

You dont have to worry about it affecting the meat if that is what your post question is about. I think its just an old hunting myth that gets pumped into to new hunters by non hunting people and magazine writers. Sure if a buck was in full blown rut you wouldn't want to hack into it and then cut your best cuts of meat next but I always just stay away from it and leave them alone. Besides there is not any meat under them so I don't even skin up that high when the deer is hanging. I used to think the same thing about them and then I bought one of larry metz deer videos and like you noticed he didn't take them off or talk about them, asked the local processer and he said just stay out of them and not to worry. But also as all the others have said, cutting them out and saving them make for good natural scents.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like Hotburn76 has said it is not necessary to skin down that far and beyond that as several other have said they are great to use as a stationary lure source such as over a scrape or as a drag in to your stand location.I take them off bucks and doe's,hanging one of each in the late pre rut or in to the rut can be very effective.I would suggest using rubber gloves when you cut them off.I have some in the freezer right now.Cheap,natural effective.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

thx hotburn...that is what I was lookin for
Old 06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Spike

Like the other guys have said, just ignore the tarsal glands unless you want to use them as a lure. If you do want to use them as a lure, you can use the tarsal glands fresh but they'll start to get funky after a little while. Keep them cold while you're not using them. Another way to go is to make a tincture from the glands. I have a recipe on my site under homemade lure if you like to mess with stuff like that.

Quick Reply: so what is the deal with the scent gland on rear leg??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.