Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How does a newbie learn how to hunt? >

How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

Old 06-18-2006, 04:14 PM

Default RE: How does a newbie learn how to hunt?

Hey guys, I am in the same situation as Dave. I just got into hunting last fall, mostly squirrel hunting (.22). I think this gave me some experience in just getting in the woods and experiencing the hunt. Me and friend saw a lot of deer hunting squirrels it was amazing. Hunting was never part of my life until I met my good friend at work. I am planning on bowhunting for the first time this year. I have been doing a lot of shooting since January and done some 3d shooting as well.

Anyway my question(s), You were mentioning metors, reading books, videos etc. I think I have someone I can help me out, but I was wondering what books you would recommend ( I am sure there a few out there). Also what videos would you recommend (the ones I have are just about shooting them and not about teaching.) Anything on the internet, any websites?
Thanks for any help
Ron
Old 06-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Well, finally something I have some "expert" advice to offer. Five years ago my son got us started hunting. I was the "black sheep" in the family and loved the outdoors, but my dad and brother's interest was limited to just about anything to do with a ball (baseball, basketball and football). At 36 years old, I knew practically nothing about hunting nor did I have any friends that were big hunters (at the time). So here's what I did:

1) I read a lot on message boards like this and many articles on the web sites of various magazines and some of the ammo and firearms manufacturers.

2) Our first deer-hunting setup included: Two Rem 870 Express shotguns with rifled slugs (I wasn't going to purchase a dedicated deer rifle(s) until I knew we would continue hunting), two 3-legged dove stools to sit on, instructions on how to field dress a deer printed off the internet, a knife, field-dressing gloves (latex and plastic ones in a packet you can get at Wal-mart), and two 4'x12' pieces of camo burlap purchased from Wal-mart. Oh, yeah....and our hunting "truck" was a 1996 Ford Windstar.

3) We did NOT have/use: any scent control clothing or sprays, tree stand or camouflage clothing.

Beginner's "luck"? Some of it. But the point is that you don't have to start out buying all sorts of high $$ gagets to be successful. I was sitting in a deer "blind" wearing a light navy-blue jumpsuit behind some camo burlap when I got my first deer. No $100+ treestand, $800+ rifle/scope setup and no camo clothing or scent sprays involved.

I've now replaced the camo burlap with a $80 pop-up blind (paid $40 it on sale @ Bass Pro) and I do have a tree stand now, but one doesn't have to spent a lot of money to get started.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

hunting is something that is never prefected and you can always get better, trial and error will teach u more than anything
Old 06-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take your hunting license course thing. Go to your states, department of natural resources site for some information on were to take the test. Also they will have the hunting seasons, hours, bag limits lost of stuff. Find out if you wana bow, shotgun, rifle, muzzleloader hunt whatever form. Get good with that weapon get a good shot group. Try to talk to some friends you know that hunt. If you dont have any, look for some people here on the board that live fairly close to you, and see if you could go hunting with them a season. That is the best way is being tought by a fellow hunter. But you cant really be taught. You must learn, which can be fun and very dissapointing. And if you go out hunting and dont see anything let alone get a animal. Dont be mad, just try harder the next time, learn from your mistakes weather it be walking to loud, or washing your clothes with spring freash detergent adn walking out and scaring everything away. But most off all just be glad your out there enjoying nature and everything the lord made for us. Just dont get frusterated if you dont see anything or get anything. It took me 3 or 4 years of deer hunting to kill my first deer. I thought it was a doe and happier then anything, turned out to be a button buck. But hey thats the biggest buck iv killed, and iv only killed two deer, that one. And a doe. just have fun out there and be safe. And welcome aboard.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:07 AM

Dave,

Take a look at www.huntflix.com. We have over 550 titles on DVD available as part of our unique "Unlimited Hunting DVD Rental Program." This program gives you the opportunity to watch a LOT of hunting videos without having to spend a lot of cash. Some titles are specifically instructional, while others are more or a "come along with us while we hunt" format. Take a look at the "Getting Started" Section, as we assembled it just for beginning hunters.

Not everybody was blessed to be raised in a hunting family. You can learn a lot by watching others. A hunter safety course is a great place to start, followed by inquiries to local hunting clubs.

Good luck!

--FLIX
Old 06-20-2006, 02:55 AM
Typical Buck

take the course and get out in the woods. its nice to be out there and just watch the animals even if you arent hunting.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:05 PM

yea i would agree...reading books, reading and adding to these boards, watchin hunting shows and, most of all, getting in the woods in order to get closer to nature itself. that is the most in my book, i have only hunting two years so far but i have learned the most by simply getting in the woods and hunting. having a person who is a experienced hunter is also an invaluable tool. watch, listen and follow what they do and soon enough you will find yourself more in touch with the wild than u ever thought possible. i cant beleive how much i have learned in 2 or so years, mostly from listening to my hunting pal and doing lil research. to me, its sort of like learning to drive a car. u can read the manuals and laws on how to drive and good tactics to use, but until you get in the car and get a few years of experience, its almost impossible to become an expert by just reading. same with hunting. u can read books and stuff on how whitetails act, how they survive or whatever, but until you get in the field and hunt, you can only gain so many facts.