Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

rut in kansas?

Old 10-30-2002, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default rut in kansas?

when exactly is the rut in kansas? i think firearm season starts Dec 4th. what part of the season is that?

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 10-30-2002, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rut in kansas?

jjoel, I was just back on the family farm in Ks. last weekend, 26th and 27th, and I saw no antlered deer with any does, yet, but plenty of scrapes and rubs. Usually, the prime rut is about the second weekend of Nov., but I have seen bucks chasing does during rifle season in the past, which is in the first week of Dec. Ks. Hunter is bow hunting now, so he should be able to update the activity for N.C. Ks. soon.
Old 10-30-2002, 11:20 AM

Sunday morning (10/27) I saw several bucks hanging out with does early in the morning. I don't think they are spending much time chasing yet and are still concentrating on scrapes. The peak of the rut (breeding) usually hits dead center of November. The week before and the week after are usually good for bucks off their guard. During the rifle season most of this has slowed down significantly but some does come into estrus again and the bucks are close behind. Depending on the type of ground you will be hunting, pushing out bedding areas during the day, and hitting food sources in the evening may be the best bets.

good luck,

cb
Old 10-30-2002, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

i'll probably hunt northwest of atchison in a walk in hunting area. i drove around it and saw mostly open fields with brush lines, and one part were deep woods which looked promising. as for food souces, i'll have to look a little bit more for that. while hunting one brush line (more like scouting) there was old corn cobs on the ground that deer had been feeding on and i jumped a doe.

i'm trying to decide whether i should do a stock or just find a stump and sit during the rifle season.

most likely i'll either be shooting a 12 gauge w/ slugs or a 30-06 bolt savage (with scope). either way i DONT have a tree stand or anything fancy. im a poor hunter LOL

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
Old 10-30-2002, 06:55 PM

Jjoel
If you are hunting an area that you are unfamilar with you can go to terraserver
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...Page=about.asp
and type in Atchison, KS or what ever the closest town is and get aerial photos or topo maps of the WIHA ground that you are planning to hunt. It's free and not to difficult to find where you are hunting if you have a map handy. This may help you to locate good cover near a bottle neck or close to some feeding areas. The images are a little dated but helpful none the less. There are some monster bucks in KS if you didn't already know. Save a big one for me.

cb
Old 10-30-2002, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The pre-rut is starting very good. I've been hunting about every day for a few days now. Last weekend I watched a good 150 class 10pt. acting crazy around 4 does. He had is nose down to the ground and walking rut-ready. The does all ran off since I was in my truck only 70-80 yards from them but the buck just stayed there and slowly walked off. I predict the full-rut to hit here earlier than usual mainly because of the weather, probably in one week and falling off in 2 1/2 -3 weeks. This is one of the coldest falls for a long time, and should make for a great rut!
Visit My Hunting Page
Old 10-31-2002, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

hey ks, what part of cabelas do u work at? do you hand out the apple cider? haha j/k i might be going back up there this fri/saturday

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!