Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dogs and More Dogs

Old 05-25-2006, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Dogs and More Dogs

I hunt private property in Alabama during the Rut. Last few years you would see the occasional dog running around usually in a food plot. Last year I had a pack 10-12 medium to large dogs run into a food plot I was watching. This year was the first year I have seen young deer in a long time. Regulations as per my Friend in Alabama are that dogs cannot be shot. We have called the local dogcatcher with no results. HOw doI control this problem without resorting to SSS?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Dogs and More Dogs

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I hunt private property in Alabama during the Rut. Last few years you would see the occasional dog running around usually in a food plot. Last year I had a pack 10-12 medium to large dogs run into a food plot I was watching. This year was the first year I have seen young deer in a long time. Regulations as per my Friend in Alabama are that dogs cannot be shot. We have called the local dogcatcher with no results. HOw doI control this problem without resorting to SSS?
OEH,the property owner should go to the Court House and see what they recommand for him to do. You as a quest can't do anything,but break the law.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I should have phrased it as "WE" instead of me. We are both at wit's end with this problem.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I should have phrased it as "WE" instead of me. We are both at wit's end with this problem.
ED, has the owner gone to the court house with this complaint?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

He has called the sherrifs department and animal control a few times. Very rural area and they won't do a thing. Seems like this guy down a road started with about 3 dogs and now has about 20+ dogs running around.unchained or fenced in and they are on their own for food. They are Chow/Labrador/German shepherd mixes and some of them are pretty substantial dogs..I wouldn't want a kid to be in this area and run into a pack of them.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I almost wish there were more coyotes in the area to take care of the problem.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

If they are simpy semi-feral dogs causing trouble, then all bets are off. Tell the local game warden that they have been harassing deer. If that won't work, then start shooting them and dump them in the river.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

He has called the sherrifs department and animal control a few times. Very rural area and they won't do a thing.
ED, he needs an injuction or court order to show the Sheriff dept. whenthey show up. Here in Tampa the Sheriff has animal control, but you have to have paper work for them to act.The problem is that from then on there will be bad blood between owners. It's a Catch 22.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

He knows the local Warden pretty well, he doesn't live far from himand he is aware of the problem
Old 05-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I know I would do. If this guy is not feeding or taking care of the dogs they will become wild. If a stray or wild dog comes through my property chasing deer he won't be doing it formuch longer. The owner of the dogs probably needs to be arrested. Your hunting is going to suffer as long as the dogs remain on the property. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Talking to the owner of the dogs would probably be a waste of time. Obviously he doesn't care about the dogs. I would be starting my own personal dog eradication program. I like dogs, but when they become stray and wild, that's a whole different story. They can become dangerous not only to deer, but to humans also. You and the owner of the property will probably have to take matters in your own hands.

Quick Reply: Dogs and More Dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.