Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Best way to get deer pics in spring and summer >

Best way to get deer pics in spring and summer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best way to get deer pics in spring and summer

Old 05-23-2006, 10:14 PM

Default Best way to get deer pics in spring and summer

Hello all. I got my cuddeback during the fall and it was the first time i have ever used a trail cam and i got some great pics. During fall and winter i would use corn and rice bran to get the deer in the pics. Now that it's spring, the deer don't come out as much and i was wondering if i should keep using corn and rice bran or use something else like a salt block or deer cocaine.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best way to get deer pics in spring and summer

i like using sweet feed, but you'll also get a bunch of pic's of coons, deer around our place came to sweet feed quicker than they found anything else, here are some from almost 2 years ago now, with a cheaper 35mm camera, good luck with the cuddy, hopefully that'll be my next one

Old 05-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had mine out(35mm) since October last year.Not alot of movement after deer season ended in Jan.I kept moving camera until I found a sweet spot where they slip to and from our hunting farm and from large state farm.Now I'm getting avarage 3-4 pics a night on a 36 roll.Racks are forming.Caught one on film 3 weeks ago with 4-5" growth. Just got camera back up and running few days ago after about 2 week rest.
I would keep moving your camera.Look where deer come in and out of bedding areas to browse on natural spring forage until AG crops come up(if you have any).I don't put anything out.I leave everything el-natural and ck camera every 4-5 days.Keeps my scent out of area and the the camera clickin pitures.
I have thought about puttin out a food block of some kind?

Good Luck
Old 05-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

I still use corn and salt blocks. Both work great.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Salt or mineral licks work great, as well as putting the cam along the edges of hard hit fields or food plots. I haven't had as much success with bait at that time of year because there is too much other forage. One bait that is still great I found though is put a bucket or two of windfall apples in front of the cam, you might get some 'coon but mostly lots of deer from what I have seen.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

I place our cams on areas I know the deer are going to travel or on salt/mineral licks I know they are going to come to. A hidden area at the backside of a cropfield is generally a good spot. Well managed foodplots that you know they are coming to. A well beaten path to bedding, food, or water.

Here is a link to some of the pics I got last year http://www.imbmonsterbucks.com/gallery/cat.php?cat=7