Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail Camera's

Old 05-22-2006, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trail Camera's

I want to start placing trail camera's in the area that I hunt but I wonder if there is a way to make it so that the deer are not frightened by the flash of the camera. I have heard a few stories of guys putting the cams out and then seeing deer for a few weeks, then nothing... they moved the cam a number of yards in one way or another and find the deer again but i want to avoid this... arent we suppose to be keeping the deer as close to a routine as possible? I want to be able to view the deer and not scare them due to flash... Can anyone help me out?
Old 05-23-2006, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trail Camera's

I had lots of pictures of a buck in the early fall that a buddy of mine killed during rifle season. Personally, I don't think that the flash scares them much. However, they are now coming out with game cameras that use infrared and don't flash (e.g. cuddeback on June 1) .
Old 05-23-2006, 07:49 AM
G5

ive got a stealth cam with a flash, when i first set it up i had it take 3 pictures at a time, all the pictures i had where the deer running away with flags up by the third frame. After about 2 months that all changed they got used to camera and knew it wasnt going to hurt them. Now i get great pics and it doesnt seem to bother them at all. If you have a good place for your camera i would suggest to leave it in the same spot for a period of time and let them get used to it, maybe even put out a salt block (if you are in an area where baiting is illegal get the salt block out of there 10 days prior to hunting season) with thatbeing said the camera you have will work fine there is no need to go spend a bunch of money on a new cam. in fact if your going to spend over $300 on a camera you can buy 6 stealth cams for that. you have to go check them more often to reload the film but thats just an excuse to go to the woods.
hope you get some great pics
Old 05-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got pics of deer looking at camera so they must hear the noise of camera activating or reactivating.I think they hear the flash recharging.If the you have a pic of deer looking at camera the pic is done and flash is recharging??

Anyway I've got mine set for 1 minute shots and never had deer that looked spooked.Matter of fact have a few of deer nose 4-5 ft from camera. Guess it depends on camera.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

some of the techniques i use with my cams.
1-take the cam and mount it 6-10 feet up in the tree pointing down. your limiting the amount of trigger area. but the plus is the only flash that deer sees is from the sky. simulating lightning.
2-take some of the red tape you can get from an auto parts store for taillightrepares. put it over the flash on the cam to deaden the flash.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Banned

This site should help you http://www.chasingame.com/
Old 05-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Trail Ghost P41LE www.trailghost.com and have had some awesome pictures. It seems if you get a deer on camera a few times, you will see him hunting. Everyone we found on camera we harvested close to where the pics are taken. I have the shutter door disable, so my cams are completely silent.

Cybersniper
Old 05-28-2006, 01:41 PM

The deer will eventually get used to the flash, some dont seem concerned at all with it. I have watched deer from a stand while a camera was there. and either it was just becoming daylight or just getting dark, the deer seemed allright with the flash
Old 05-29-2006, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

I've found a few cameras that use nightvison instead of the flash. The Bushnell TrailScout 2.1 and the Wildlife Eye video system.If you don't mind the price that is what you are looking for. My camera uses a flash and sometimes it scares them and sometimes it doesn't. I've had the camera set up to where it would take pictures every minute, to see how long the deer stay because of the flash, and had them stand their eating for 30 minutes before they moved and the flash didnt bother them. I have also had situations where the deer were frightened by the flash but then 15 minutes later I would have a picture of the same deer returning.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

I've had a few pictures of the deer sniffing the camera when the flash/picture went off. I don't think it bothers them that much at all because there is nothing that moves, only sound and a flash. We had 8 pictures of this one buck last season, it was almost like he went around looking for the camera.

Quick Reply: Trail Camera's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.