Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents? >

Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.26%
No
8.70%
Sometimes
13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

I never wear orange...
It doesn't make sense for me to when there is other non-hunters out there not wearing it...
Hikers,campers loggers,treeplanters...etc...
I wear camoflage gear and leave it at that...
The law up declares that one shall never point his rifle at anything he/she doesn't intend to shoot...
That is stated clearly...
There is also many others laws and ethics that all fall on the shoulder of the hunter/shooter...
It has nothing do do with respect for the forest or it has to do with the resposibility thatYOU have when you carry a gun...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

I never wear orange...
It doesn't make sense for me to when there is other non-hunters out there not wearing it...
Hikers,campers loggers,treeplanters...etc...
I wear camoflage gear and leave it at that...
The law up declares that one shall never point his rifle at anything he/she doesn't intend to shoot...
That is stated clearly...
There is also many others laws and ethics that all fall on the shoulder of the hunter/shooter...
It has nothing do do with respect for the forest or it has to do with the resposibility thatYOU have when you carry a gun...
Jeff, I also think like you, but here in FL, we must show 500 sq ins while hunting!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Jeff,
If everyone ID'd their target as you do there would probably be no need for it.
The problem is like with everything else, people break the rules. See, here on these forums we don't see people post stories that admit to just shooting at anything that moves. Nor do we here the story about how we were going to shoot at that moving bush but then I saw the orange and didn't pull the trigger. No one is going to admit to that so we don't hear about it happening.

Does it happen? Heck yes it does. There is no way to tell how many times HU has saved someones life because people will not tell others that they almost pulled the trigger on someting they did not identify
Old 05-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

So its LAW THERE REBEL?
What about the non-hunters who happen to be in the bush
for other recreational purposes during the hunting season?
Are they required to wear this too?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

YEP you have a point...
And I'm sure it has aided in some "accidents"
The problem I have is just that TERMINOLIGY "HUNTING ACCIDENT"...

IT doesn't occur very often, but I'm sure it has, even in my PROVINCEOF British Columbiabut it seems to me,these guys never sever seem to be held accountable for their acations in the COURT OF LAW...
When something like this happens,charges are very rarely ever made,
yet probably 20 different violations were made and broken,buy the person responsible...

However I do feel comfortable knowing that our hunter education system
and gun handling program that is implemented by our Government is top notch, it is fun and exciting to attend...
Theinstructors are very well educated,this includes both the practical and theory parts...
Standards set on the levels of passing the course are high,Therefore the students have to know
their subject very well if they want their license...
The students listen learn and most importantantly remember...This all helps them in the field...
Overall,I feel very confident in the field hunting with others around me,and I'm happyabout not having to worry about having to protect myself
with having to wear something bright when hunting...
ORIGINAL: DannyD

Hi Jeff,
If everyone ID'd their target as you do there would probably be no need for it.
The problem is like with everything else, people break the rules. See, here on these forums we don't see people post stories that admit to just shooting at anything that moves. Nor do we here the story about how we were going to shoot at that moving bush but then I saw the orange and didn't pull the trigger. No one is going to admit to that so we don't hear about it happening.

Does it happen? Heck yes it does. There is no way to tell how many times HU has saved someones life because people will not tell others that they almost pulled the trigger on someting they did not identify
Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: TOPDAWGWOOFWOOF

BrushChimp,

Down here in the deep South, we hunt safely and ethically. This is not some litter infested biohell like some folks are used to up north. We keep our woods pristine and free from Yankees when possible.

Down here, we suit up in coverhauls and mesh hats. Respect. NEVER go to the stand without our hunters orange over our top half. Once had a guy come hunting with me at the family farm. He was not a true hunter, but was interested so I figured what the heck - I like to teach and this guy gave me the respect I demanded.

He got out of the pick up with no hunters orange and not only that, but did not have camo. Wore flesh tone sweat pants. I was embarrassed and furious. I left him at the camp and told him to wait patiently - that I would be back shortly. I left him there for 5 hours or so, long enough for me to enjoy a hunt and several pinches of snuff whilst observing 7 different whitetails in a wet bottom area of the farm. Got back and learned at that time that his folks were from New Jersey! That explained it right there and needless to say, this young man was never allowed out to my family farm again.
Has this guy ever been north of the Mason Dixon line? Biohells? Interesting that you use that reference for the northern states.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM
G5

during gun seasons i always wear orange, IMHO there is no buck out there that is worth taking a bullet for.

i dont know if deer can see orange or not, ive had them walk under me with orange on and ive had them see me during bow season with no orange. but ive sat in too many deer camps and around too many camp fires that ended with empty coolers. ORANGE IS VERY SMART TO WEAR.

I dont know what to say about the rec people out in the woods during hunting season. i would think most of them know its hunting season and if they do go into the woods they stay on the man made trails. I would think anyone serious about hunting wouldnt hunt over a man made trail threrefore never seeing them.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:41 PM

don't agree with all the huntn laws, but with trigger happy hunters, hunter orange is like my bullets, can't go without it.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had never worn hunter orange until I started hunting in Oklahoma where it is required,but now my sons and I wear it here in Texas just fora little addedsafety factor. It does cost meanything, andI getsome peace of mind knowing that I am doing all I can to insure the safety of me and my boys while we're afield.