Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing? >

When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

Old 05-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

It takes time to do most anything in life successfully and that would include deer hunting. At what point did you honestly feel comfortable in what you were doing in the woods?

We all learn from experience and most of us are learning something new each and every year when it comes to hunting. For me it was probably in my 3rd or 4th year, when I began to feel like I knew somewhat what the heck I was doing and there were reasons for my decisions.

How about you?

Notice I did not ask when did you get good at deer hunting. That's a totally different question.

Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

i NEVER HAVE.I ALWAYS QUESTION MYSELF 24-7 OVER EVERYTHING
Old 05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i felti knew what i was doing when i went on my first hunt. i used to spend HOURS apon HOURS looking at hunting magazines and all sorts of hunting related things. i'm confident in myself. to be succesful you must be confident in yourself and not question yourself. be sure you know what your doing before you do it.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Site Buck Guru

After taking my third P & Y buck in 3 years of trophy hunting, I felt like I really knew what I was doing. Sometimes I question that, but one thing is for sure, I still learn new things every year that I hunt.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM

I satarted to hunt with my dad when I was nine, he grew up hunting but whenI started hunting he thought that deer was a new thing to try, so he was about as green as I was. I killed my first deer when I was eighteen and started to feel then that I was "cathching on" but it wasn't till I was 21 or 22 that a new friend showed me the art of treestand hunting and that was when things really picked up for me. I fill my tags every year now and would say that I am a "good" hunter, but I have no P&Y on the wall yet only several nice eight pointers.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

that's a very good question. i'm not sure if i'm comfortable... i am in ky. i've hunted the same lands for years but i still question myself as anyone else would. here in florida i'm definately not quite comfortable. its a whole different story hunting deer compared to ky. its hard to get comfortable hunting in swamps when you never know what you're getting into. hopefully that will change after i get out and really immerse myself in hunting the florida whitetail which demands respect...(sorry i couldn't help myself)
Old 05-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Typical Buck

i started going into the woods with my dad and uncle when i was about 6 or 7 and we just squirrel hunted i was not until i was about 12 or 13 that i started to deer hunt but i was comfortable to do it since i knew the woods and at times i second quess myself even today and i bet a lot of hunters will still do that themselfs now. that was about 46 years ago that i started hunting [8D]
Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 AM
Typical Buck

You mean you eventually get to a point that you think you know how to hunt deer?

What a novel idea.

I'm an idiot!

Seriously.......I felt comfortable in the woods before my Dad let me carry a gun. I felt confident in a deer stand by about my 4th or 5th year. Somewhere along there, I realized i could predict where a deer would walk about as well as my Dad.

GH
Old 05-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been hunting for oveer 45 years and still learn something every time out.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I started hunting when I was 12 and I'm 52 now and every year I can't get over how much I didn't know the year before. If your not learning somthing every year your not doing somthing right. If you think you know it all when it comes to deer hunting I feel bad for you as that only menans your never going to get any better. Mike

Quick Reply: When did you really feel, OK, now I think I know what I'm doing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.