Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

plight of the Southern Deer

Old 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: plight of the Southern Deer

Okay ipscshooter, there is a differencebetween a pay out your butt shoot that deer ifyou like him ranch and a few guys getting together and leasing a place. I would consider doing that myself. In fact I went turkey hunting on a lease in Texaslast year. Don't get me wrong, I think Texas is one of the neatest places to hunt. I just don't like the idea of these high paying ranches, but I do understand ranchers wanting to earn extra money. Many of the deer hunting videos are on these ranches, not just in Texas, and it is a joke. Where is your lease located? What is the quality of your deer, truthfully?
Old 05-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

The lease I've been hunting is in the Texas Hill Country, not too far from Fredericksburg,west of Austin, north of San Antonio. The deer tend not to get much past 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years old, as I don't think the neighbors have management in mind, other than an "if it's brown, it's down" policy. We try not to take anything less than 3 1/2 years old. We'd like to get them older, but we then tend to lose them to the neighbors Bucks last year averaged about 150 lbs. The biggest was about 180ish. Antler size was pretty weak last year because of the drought. In good years, we get bucks in the 130-140 class. Does generally run around 100 lbs. Hill Country deer are quite a bit smaller, but more numerous, than deer in other parts of the state.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Someone sent me a PM and asked me, "TDWW, do I sense some animousity toward you from some of these Yankee hunters on the board?"

I honestly do not think it is animosity. I think all the guys on theboard are all quite intelligent and they certainly are good conservatives. It is not necessarily jealousy but I think it is whimsical fascination.

I have long said that we all are born with certain innate God-Given talents. How we use those talents, or don't use them, is what is important. I was born with the ability to pursue whitetail deer and to have the vision of growth and development of the overall herd as well as the ability to see things better than anyone and, more importantly, to see things that others miss. That is why I am able to analyzethings so well and understand wildlife, people who pursue wildlife, events that may or may not have an effect on the presence of the wildlife management movement, and trends to look for. I think that is where some feel something close to jealousy but I would not use that word.

The guys on theboard may be Yanks, but mostare good guys.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: texas8point

Texas produces as many B&C bucks as any state in the country. But thats not to say Northern deer don't contribute.......Northern deer have contributed plenty........like CWD.
False! Texas produces fewer B&C bucks than Illinois, Kansas, Iowa and Wisconsin. Possibly one or two more states also produce more B&C bucks than Texas as well.

CWD will be headed your way as well, wait and see.
[align=left]TOP STATES IN DEER KILL TOP STATES IN B&C DEER TAKEN
1. Alabama 535,000 1. Wisconsin 25
2. Wisconsin 517,169 2. Illinois 21
3. Georgia 484,000 3. Kentucky 15
4. Michigan 453,000 4. Texas 14
5. Texas 433,387 5. Iowa 12
* 2005 figures
[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Is it 170" to make B&C? There were a LOT more than 14 170" B&C deer taken in Texas last year. But, a LOT of Texas private hunting acreage has been high-fenced, and those deer don't qualify for B&C, even if the fence is around 200,000 acres. Take a look at these from 2005-2006. http://www.loscazadores.com/contest/leaderboard.html There are at least 51 bucks over 180" on that page.[/align]
Thank you, I was off on my states a bit, but I knew that Texas did not produce as many B&C bucks as any state in the country!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

ORIGINAL: texas8point

Texas produces as many B&C bucks as any state in the country. But thats not to say Northern deer don't contribute.......Northern deer have contributed plenty........like CWD.
False! Texas produces fewer B&C bucks than Illinois, Kansas, Iowa and Wisconsin. Possibly one or two more states also produce more B&C bucks than Texas as well.

CWD will be headed your way as well, wait and see.
[align=left]TOP STATES IN DEER KILL TOP STATES IN B&C DEER TAKEN
1. Alabama 535,000 1. Wisconsin 25
2. Wisconsin 517,169 2. Illinois 21
3. Georgia 484,000 3. Kentucky 15
4. Michigan 453,000 4. Texas 14
5. Texas 433,387 5. Iowa 12
* 2005 figures
[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Is it 170" to make B&C? There were a LOT more than 14 170" B&C deer taken in Texas last year. But, a LOT of Texas private hunting acreage has been high-fenced, and those deer don't qualify for B&C, even if the fence is around 200,000 acres. Take a look at these from 2005-2006. http://www.loscazadores.com/contest/leaderboard.html There are at least 51 bucks over 180" on that page.[/align]
Thank you, I was off on my states a bit, but I knew that Texas did not produce as many B&C bucks as any state in the country!
Yes, but... the chart says only 15 from Texas. B&C minimum is 170 and I posted a site that lists over fifty 180 class bucks from that year entered in one of a half dozen or more big buck contests. You know there were at least as many 170 class bucks as there were 180 and up. And, you know that not everyone with a big buck entered it in a contest or tried to enter it in B&C. So, how good, really, is that chart???
Old 05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TOPDAWGWOOFWOOF

Someone sent me a PM and asked me, "TDWW, do I sense some animousity toward you from some of these Yankee hunters on the board?"

I honestly do not think it is animosity. I think all the guys on theboard are all quite intelligent and they certainly are good conservatives. It is not necessarily jealousy but I think it is whimsical fascination.

I have long said that we all are born with certain innate God-Given talents. How we use those talents, or don't use them, is what is important. I was born with the ability to pursue whitetail deer and to have the vision of growth and development of the overall herd as well as the ability to see things better than anyone and, more importantly, to see things that others miss. That is why I am able to analyzethings so well and understand wildlife, people who pursue wildlife, events that may or may not have an effect on the presence of the wildlife management movement, and trends to look for. I think that is where some feel something close to jealousy but I would not use that word.

The guys on theboard may be Yanks, but mostare good guys.
Don't forget to mention your god given ability to show no humility. Also, the god talent to dawn a cut off flannel and flex at kids because their music makes you uncomfortable. I think its closer to animosity than jealousy. Can we get any proff of this almost majestic talent you possess. Other than the ability to create discontent, I find you to be conceited and disrespectful. The difference between me and some of the others, is that I know you area fake. Kids who were liars tend to take that talent and hold it very close because it gives them security. Obviously you are too comfortable with untruths. But hey at least you have become a side show. Hope you like the negative attention!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who would've thought that a civil war could break out over
deer herds?
I thought we already did that? Remember the "war of the southern aggression"?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

So you are agreeing with me. Without help Texas deer are puny.
I bowhunt up in Illinois every year and yes the deer up there do have excellent genes for growing big racks. However, the entire state ispractically one giant corn/soybean field also. A fact that contributes heavily to both body and antler size in their deer. Hate to bust your bubble but corn and soybeansaren't exactly native browse. They are planted by man. So those deer are up there are getting a nice supplemental feeding from men also. Just like the deer in Texas.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:59 AM

who cares if its a northern deer or southern deer i could care less a whitetail is whitetail no matter where u live yeah they grow bigger up north so what .i have never hunted a northern whitetail but i bet the meat taste just the same .so stop the bickerin between southerners an northerners who cares which state has more bc and py bucks they aint none fof them mine so what .i will be the first to admit sc deer are small so what im not a trophy hunter thats whats wrong with us hunters now trophy hunter puttin meat hunters down dang i mean we are all hunters am i right .this is what the antis want hunters to fight amongest themselves .cause of one goof runnin his mouth ppl are bickerin come on this aint the 1800s there is no civil war the last time i checked it was the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA .SO LETS ALL GET ALONG .
Old 05-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ied rispond to tis, bud i hav wa to mutch soutern bakstrip and im to literite.

X

Quick Reply: plight of the Southern Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.