Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Encounters with Snakes

Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
G5

Default RE: Encounters with Snakes

Maybe you Yanks do not have snakes up there, I do not know b/c I have NEVER been up there (more respect) and likely never will. I guess hunting up there all you have to contend with is litter and smog?
its too bad that your southern attitude is sheltering you from the beauty that all of the united states has to offer. It would do you much good toget out of your corner of the country.

anyways about the snakes ive seen around 30-40 snakes so far this year mostly copperheads. i havent had to kill any of them. i like to keep my distance when possible, but they are neat to watch from afar
Old 05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've handle snakes all my life and even did it for a living. I have been bitten myself by 4 rattlers and one cottonmouth mocassin. The mocassin bite was the worse as I almost lost my left hand and it left my left index finger deformed and nerveless. The bites were from my own carelessness. Snakes do not charge people, no matter what you've heard. When out in the bush and I encounter a poisonous snake I just leave him be. I am in his domain and I think a person just shows their ignorance by killing them because of their own personal fears.
In all the years of reptile handling I have never heard of a "salt tooth mocassin". Is this a new specie? Also, I was kind of curious what kind of first aid was administered for your bites?
Have a good day.

Bobby

Old 05-08-2006, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like them snakes Topdawg. I don't kill them but don't want oneanywhere near me. I have had encounters with a few over the years but they neve could catch me because they were slipping in the oil slickI left behind me on my way out. Now thats Respect! No matter what spicies they were they turned into a corn snake after following me.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Down here in the bottomland of north FL, that is just a part of life outdoors.
As is marrying your sister. Right DAWG?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can't remember if it was 5 or 6 times you've been bite ? The sun has gotten to you . Here is hoping the 7th time is lethal
Old 05-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys, this guy is pure BS! If I knew he was really from the South, I'd appolgize to all of you! This whole "respect" crap is getting old!I don't know of any place that respect is "GIVEN," especially on DEMAND!
I really suspect that TDWW is really an anti, stirring shet and trying to make hunters, especially Southerners look bad!
Oh, and BTW, I killed a 4 ft. "stump" moccasin Friday afternoon in my garage! He had to be in there at least 24 hours, because that was the last time that the door was open! Had I not seen him first, theres a good chance I'd have been bit!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 PM

i encounter snakes all the time they dont bother me i just go around them and let them be .
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't bother them and they leave me alone. All of the ones up here in the north are non venomous.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:05 AM

WOW!!!
Ingrid Newkirk, aka TDWW, sure knows how to fire you boys up!!
Don't you know when you're being worked by the enemy?
Or, maybe it's really Larry the Cable Guy having some fun.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Down here in Louisiana snakes are every where, even during most of the deer season. It's no big deal. I'm happy to come across a timber rattler. They are great to eat. Copperheads are good too but they are usually not big enough to bother with. Fried rattlesnake strips are dang good.

Quick Reply: Encounters with Snakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.