Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder stand

Old 04-25-2006, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ladder stand

I'm planning to maketwo wooden ladder stands for this upcomming season for some property I was just granted access to. Does anyone have plans or a blueprint for making one. I'm looking for them to be about 15' tall. One will sit on the side of a narrow but long field and the other will sit on top of a wooded draw that goes down to a creek.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Ladder stand

No plans, but you can buy metal ladder stands at Wal-Mart for about $100 that are lighter, easier to move, made for better comfort and a lot safer.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

bigpapa,

I do not have a blueprint, but I would be happy to take detailed pictures of my ladder stands on the family farm. They are extremely comfortable and very durable. I have never seen another ladder stand superior to these.

Instead of attempting to explain it, I would be happy to take photographs this weekend and email them to you.

PM me and we can exchange email addresses.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

nevermind, he's just goin on about the south again. i'm done.

wallyworld stands
Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

No plans, but you can buy metal ladder stands at Wal-Mart for about $100 that are lighter, easier to move, made for better comfort and a lot safer.
Timbercruiser is correct. Our WalMart had some Hunter's View stands that were at or just over a $100 retail,butmy brother and I bought all they had for $65 each after season. We had to buy 35 stands, but after all our buddies found out, we needed 50. They are light and have detachable leg for easier movement. Given the price oftreated lumber and steel, I would sure look at this kind of stand rather than trying to buildyour own.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

just buy metal ones when they are on sale. much cheaper and easier
Old 04-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes my 2 cents.

Wood rots.

Nails come loose.

Decay, etc.

For the money/value it's really, really hard to beat metal, pre-fab, store boughtladder stands.

Bu there are some places that can only do with a custom, wood built stand/platform. But regular inspections are a must.

Me - I've welded up a bunch of metal ladder stands over the years - plenty. Only maintenance needed is changing the top wooden platforms now and then. I fit mine with auto seat belts.Climb up. Buckle up. Fire 'em up.

I've also built p some dandies out of fibergalss ladder sections. Extension ladders that have a broken tip or something. Doing another this year. I'll take pictures of it's "development".
Old 04-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have to agree with a few others. Metal ladder stands in the long run are the way to go. Especially if you know someone that can weld! Just go to a few sporting goods stores and see what designs you like the best and mimic them.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Guys,

Everybody calm down about the ladder stands. JUST CALM DOWN. It is a well known fact that these stands were created in the deep South (respect) and that they are really a strong component to a successful hunt.

Again, miine are superior and I would be more than happy to take several photos this weekend as I am out on the family farm in order to help my fellow deer hunting companion. My stands were welded and do not have a single piece of wood on them. they are taller than the Wal mart variety and much more sturdy and durable. Guys, I like the Wal Mart ladders. They are perfect for some Yankee hunting on some northern piece of property where you will likely sit up there for about a half hour and call it a day. Certain situations. HOWEVER, if you are a serious hunter and plan to hunker down this fall and harvest a buck you can feed the entire family with, then LOOK NO FURTHER THAN TDWW'S LEGENDARY LADDER STAND.

Again, will be happy to share pics after the weekend. Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:32 AM
G5

They are perfect for some Yankee hunting on some northern piece of property where you will likely sit up there for about a half hour and call it a day.
LMAO... its not my fault the yankee deer woods are that good

LOOK NO FURTHER THAN TDWW'S LEGENDARY LADDER STAND.

Again, will be happy to share pics after the weekend.
I CANT WAIT TO SEE THE PICS

Quick Reply: Ladder stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.