HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Question for climbing stand users who... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/1405-question-climbing-stand-users-who.html)

Cougar Mag 01-11-2002 11:41 PM

Question for climbing stand users who...

leave their stands at the bottom of the tree. Now I am not making fun of this practice, but I have always taken my climber with me(when I use a climber), not because of being afraid of getting it stolen, but because I don't want a deer to see the stand on the ground and smelling it. Too me as much care as I take with scent control and
not alerting deer that I am hunting in his bedroom I can't see how this would do anything but hurt the deer hunting.

ShortHair 01-12-2002 01:37 AM

RE: Question for climbing stand users who...

Never had any trouble getting all the deer I wanted when I used to do this. In fact my second biggest buck was taken from this climber. The climber had been being left on this same tree from early Sept.(thats back when I had that bow hunting affliction) until the third Sat. of Oct.(opening day of rifle)when the buck was taken. It was back before scent coverage was in vogue.
It has been my experience you can put anything in the woods. You just have to do it plenty of time for the deer to get used to it before season.

jhuckeby18 01-12-2002 09:18 AM

the only climber i used this year i didnt dare to leave it at a tree even over night because it was a tree lounge with alot of add ons...an if anyone is familiar with this tree stand its expensive as heck

rem7400 01-12-2002 12:20 PM

Good question, one with no single answer though. I've used a climber for quite a few years now and have been known to leave it on the tree overnight for the following reasons, tree is well off the path that any deer might use and walk by it, so far back in the woods that it would be foolish to take it out overnight only to hunt the same place the next day.
I've also taken it off the tree overnight even if I'm hunting the same place the next morning, particularly if I'm hunting a big buck in tight qaurters where he might actually come across the stand.
I found a oak island in the middle of the swamp this season and left my stand on the tree 2 nights in a row and saw deer all 3 days, morning and night, saw a nice, wide racked 6 pt on the 2nd morning, so for deer hunting in general it might not be too bad but if your hunting hard for the big boy you either need to put it up early and leave it all season or take it out nightly.

Mark in SC

PORK CHOP 01-12-2002 12:50 PM

I leave mine occasionally but only in areas that I feel no one else is hunting there.
I do fell that if you are gonna leave a stand it would be better, scent wise, if you left it there before the season starts. But if I was gonna do that I would just build a permanent stand.

THE DEER SLAYER 01-12-2002 04:19 PM

It is a good idea to take it away from the tree.

Ruger-Redhawk 01-12-2002 04:33 PM

I usually put my climber on the tree the day before I plan on using it to let it quiet down. I understand what you are saying about a deer seeing the stand and leaving your scent.I don't know if them seeing it or not will spook them.I'm sure it depends how far into the season it is.Once there has been pressure on them they will be real spooky. I put my leaners out before the season and leave them until the end. I have had them walk right up to my stands.Then again they might get use to seeing them there.I try to use a cover scent when I put my climber on the tree.Like the old saying you can't miss what you never had.I would rather put it out and let it settle down overnight then to worry about them seeing the climber.I have been doing this for sometime now and every year I get deer out of my climber.I'm not saying it's right but it works for me.Ruger Redhawk

KoBear 01-12-2002 05:47 PM

i wouldnt leave my stand in my tree for numerous reasons, scent, $$$$, and forgetting what tree it was on if it is a new piece of property.

JagMagMan 01-12-2002 07:17 PM

I leave my climber on the tree all the time and I have never had a problem with it spooking the deer!

rem7400 01-12-2002 08:32 PM

That you know of!!!

My brother and I was hunting a few years back and had left our stands on the trees overnight. He was using a Cadillac climber and when he returned to the stand the next morning in the dark he found the vinyl covered seat chewed to pieces by a bear that had been working the area.