HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   GROUND BLIND HUNTING (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/140497-ground-blind-hunting.html)

mndeer hunter 04-23-2006 01:09 PM

GROUND BLIND HUNTING

where i hunt is on the powerlines and i can see 300 yards. it is nice and flat with no trees. i am thinking about hunting in a ground blind. i have always hunted in a tree stand. what are good and bad things about hunting in a ground blind. thank you

gregholland 04-23-2006 03:32 PM

RE: GROUND BLIND HUNTING

Good: Can't kill yourself falling out of it like a tree stand
Good: Versatile, and easy to move to a better position.
Good: You can get away with a lot more movement inside the concealment of a ground blind.
Bad: Nothing.

retrieverman 04-23-2006 04:30 PM

I hunt in "pop up" ground blinds alot and have had great success, but in the blinds that I use, the visablility is only 180 degrees. It has never been a problem for me, but you have to plan you set up carefully. I have had deer literally walk right up to my blind and never know I was inside.

kevin1 04-23-2006 05:08 PM

I've had about the same experiences that Retrieverman has , once in awhile they'll get nervous about "the new object" , but they usually just stamp their hoof a few times and then settle down when "it" doesn't move . I could have reached out the window and touched them on several occasions . A more permanent type ground blind such as a box blind should be placed well ahead of the season opener so they have a chance to get used to it , when using a pop-up I try to locate it just inside the tree line so that it blends with the background . You can also just rough it and set up in a downed tree's branches or a clump of bushes or cluster of boulders .

Spiffy 04-23-2006 07:05 PM

Never tried the pop up ground blinds but from what I have experienced and heard, If you can get in a tree, get in a tree.

[/align]

FlDeerman 04-23-2006 08:35 PM

I think Spiffy answered,"never tried it".Works great for me.Try and set it up a week before hand.I love to hunt in them.Fun and you get eye to eye.

bullcan 04-24-2006 07:37 AM

The only downside to a ground blind vs a tree stand is visibility, you can only see certain ways and obviously cannot see as far.

However it does hold in your scent and you can move all you want in one, just make sure you clear all the leaves out so you don't make noise while moving.

RDHunter 05-05-2006 05:49 PM

I have a Double Bull T5 & I like it because I can set up in seconds and move about without spooking any deer.
But it's not like the newer model where you can get a full 360* degree vewing & shooting but it work for me.

hardcorehunter 05-05-2006 06:01 PM

Downside to a ground blind is loss of visibility and shot possibilities compared to a treestand. Whitetails also don't tolerate same day setups very well. The blind should be brushed in and I have spooked deer when I didn't have the windows covered with mesh. Upside is you can move around inside without being detected, they help contain human odor, you canbring a small heater and be warm, and you canmake out with your wife if you want.;)

cardeer 05-06-2006 02:32 AM

you can live in the blind.Sleep over night good thing