Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why do you carry a side arm while hunting? >

Why do you carry a side arm while hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Defense against 2 legged vermin
4.59%
Defense against 4 legged vermin
8.26%
Dispatch wounded game
7.34%
Take small game (coyote, grouse, squirrle, etc)
6.42%
Back up (if legal) to rifle
6.42%
All of the above
32.11%
Don't know why, just do
0.92%
Don't carry a side arm while hunting
33.94%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you carry a side arm while hunting?

Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 PM

Default RE: Why do you carry a side arm while hunting?

had close encounters with mountain lions two archery seasons in a row and that made it an easy choice to get a .357 mag. and the bear population is increasing quite a bit where i hunt and at least one is a griz.
but if i run into that griz the pistol is probably gonna be more for me than the bear.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

I'm surrounded by wolves, grizzlies, and cougars, and I can tell you now I'd much rather have a defender shotgun or my hunting rifle by my side. The only time you have to worry about the bears, other than in camp, is when you're sneaking through the timber, and most guys I know carry their rifles in their hands rather than on their shoulders for than anyways. I have seriously considered buying a defender shotgun or a snub nosed .44 for hiking around in the mountains out of hunting season, though. That is a whole different story, because we all know pepper spray only works part of the time, and its not going to even phase a bear that really wants you. Case in point, a guy here went through two cans on a bear either last year or the year before, and the bear only left after the guy's buddy showed up to help him ward the bear away. Some of my cousins have little kids, so it would be good to carry a weapon while I'm fishing with them in the mountains for mountain lions too.
c'mon but seriously...I've hunted in the Bighorns, which i'm sure is where you hunt & I didn't see any signs of brown bear or cougers.....
Old 04-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

Well it depends on what you call sidearm, I always carry a knife, thats good enough to scare anything away. If your a tresspasser on my land and your not scared, you should be, big knife, VERY sharp blade.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 AM
Typical Buck

carry a sidearm because its left over from my days in law enforcement like a credit card don't leave home without it
Old 04-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I carry a sidearm always, hunting, fishing, driving, bathing, etc.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Garminator

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

I'm surrounded by wolves, grizzlies, and cougars, and I can tell you now I'd much rather have a defender shotgun or my hunting rifle by my side. The only time you have to worry about the bears, other than in camp, is when you're sneaking through the timber, and most guys I know carry their rifles in their hands rather than on their shoulders for than anyways. I have seriously considered buying a defender shotgun or a snub nosed .44 for hiking around in the mountains out of hunting season, though. That is a whole different story, because we all know pepper spray only works part of the time, and its not going to even phase a bear that really wants you. Case in point, a guy here went through two cans on a bear either last year or the year before, and the bear only left after the guy's buddy showed up to help him ward the bear away. Some of my cousins have little kids, so it would be good to carry a weapon while I'm fishing with them in the mountains for mountain lions too.
c'mon but seriously...I've hunted in the Bighorns, which i'm sure is where you hunt & I didn't see any signs of brown bear or cougers.....
Guesse again flat lander. I rarely hunt in the Bighorns. I'm talking above Lander and Dubois. Did you seriously think I believe there are grizzlies in the Bighorns? HA! That is borderline insult, but I'm in a good mood so I'll let it slide. I only frequent the Bighorns during the summer. The only bears up there are black bears, and you don't have to worry about them at all. They get hunted a lot. And yes, there are cats there. Ask anyone from Wyoming and they can tell you that. People hunt them there all the time. I personally know people who have killed cougars in the Bighorns. I have seen their sign too. Just head up to the Northwest of Burgess Junction and hike up to the rocks at the top of all the ridges. There are mountain lions across the entire state of Wyoming, and not just in the mountains.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you carry a side arm while hunting?

I carry mine just in case I run into Jimmy Hoffa

dd
Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 AM

Default RE: Do you carry a side arm while hunting?

I had a wild hog woof at me coming out of the woods from bowhunting in the dark. Two weeks later I had a .44 mag 6 1/2 in barrel. Now I carry that while walking in the woods. That one night scared the hell out of me especially living in WI and not used to hogs.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Banned

Ever seen deliverance! I have a concealed permit so I always carry. My motto is "Rather have it and not need it ,then need it and not have it"
Old 04-29-2006, 11:41 AM

Personal protection against other humans.

Quick Reply: Why do you carry a side arm while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.