HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Using the right attractant (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/13890-using-right-attractant.html)

lavy07 10-25-2002 08:03 PM

Using the right attractant

I am going on a hunt on Nov. 13 and I'm new to the hunting world. When I walk into the isle where the deer attractants are there are so many of them and nothing really explains each one real well. So, I settled on Tinks #69. What I'm wondering is,is any one scent better than the other one or does it really matter. I'm told alot of that has to do with the rut and to tell you the truth I don't even know when that starts. So, I guess my next question is when does the rut begin and end? I live in north Texas near the Texas\oklahoma border in montague county if that helps anyone out. Being new to all of this any input is greatly apprieciated.

Tree climber 10-25-2002 08:22 PM

RE: Using the right attractant

I've never been big on sents. I have always just went natural. had bad experence with sents about 15 to 20 years ago. they are different sents now,so they may work.

I got some free James Valley "Lethal Weapon" about a week ago. my B/P season opens in the morning,I am going to try it. I will let you know tomorrow night how it works.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

hunts56 10-25-2002 08:26 PM

Go to Texas Parks and wildlife web site. Click on hunting. Then click on wildlife district. Then type in your county. Hope this helps Hunts56

Tree climber 10-26-2002 02:15 PM

tried the leathal weapon this morning and had reeeeaaal baaaad results. every deer down wind was blowning and running.
I got out of my stand and dug a hole and put the q-tip with the sent on it in the hole and covered and saw three more down wind eating on the plot. they were with in 15yards of me and never smelled anything.

I am through with the sent experiment!!!!!!! will go back to my all natural approach !!

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.

jred 10-26-2002 06:43 PM

NO SENT CAN BE BETTER THAN THE BEST SENT!

Keep the wind in your face and know your deer areas like trails, food sources, beding areas, scrap lines and popular fields.

If you do use some or one of the many sents on the market, read the lables may of them will indicate the times during season they are good for, for instance: early, mid, late and or during the rut.

Good luck.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!