Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer meat! bad or good?

Old 04-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: deer meat! bad or good?

I thought the main reason people cooked food was to kill bacteria. If you cook your food properly then the bacteria should be kill no matter how many times meat has been thawed and refrozen. Those that have got sick from refrozen meat didn't cook it well enough.Think about it!
Old 04-01-2006, 11:43 AM

If the meat spoils, no amount of cooking will make it 100% safe.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many times our animals have frozen while being transported home from hunting.They were then hung until they thawed so the meat could be cut up.I have never had a problem with spoiled meat.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I thought the main reason people cooked food was to kill bacteria. If you cook your food properly then the bacteria should be kill no matter how many times meat has been thawed and refrozen. Those that have got sick from refrozen meat didn't cook it well enough.Think about it!
Only way to kill the bacteria is to cook it to well done. Thats over 165. Most people I know don't like well done. Especially game, it will be very tough, that moose there you got would be like leather over 165.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually put the oven on at least 300. smother some steaks in watered down BBQ sauce and pop it in. Then make some mashed potatos and use the sauce for gravy.

Pizza sauce works good too.

Now jerky is another story.

I never worried about getting sick from refreezing.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iwas thinking. When I do hamburgers, in a skillet, on the stove, the juices sizzle. I know that water boils at 212 degrees. So that would mean that the skillet is at least 212 or the juices wouldn't sizzle and evaporate. I think if I replaced the skillet with a pot of water it would boil eventually. I just might have to start putting a meat thermometer in stuff when I cook it just to see.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:33 AM

The way I was taught it, the bacteria often are toxic and then it does not matter if they are dead, once their numbers have grown. I have also heard that bacteriacrap is often toxic.
Does anyone know if these asumptions are correct?
Old 04-02-2006, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Many times our animals have frozen while being transported home from hunting.They were then hung until they thawed so the meat could be cut up.I have never had a problem with spoiled meat.
I have to agree. I’ve done this lots of times with wild game and it sure is cold on the fingers...
Old 04-03-2006, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 3Ddepression

The way I was taught it, the bacteria often are toxic and then it does not matter if they are dead, once their numbers have grown. I have also heard that bacteriacrap is often toxic.
Does anyone know if these asumptions are correct?
Actually bacteria is present upon harvesting an animal or whatever. When one freezes the meat then it either kills or slows the bacteria. Then once it is thawed the bacteria if not killed can reactivate. There are many different strains of bacteria some that are harmful some that are not. Some may only be harmful if one has a supressed immune system. It just depends. E. Coli is common in under cooked meat. Food that is cooked and left out at room temperature for >2hours Bacteria can mutiply rapidly. Most bacteria grow undetected because they do not give off an odor. It is best when thawing meat you do so in the refridge because the bacteria tends not to reactivate as fast if you thaw at room temp, using mcro wave or water bath.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:11 AM

10-4

Quick Reply: deer meat! bad or good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.