Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer meat! bad or good?

Old 03-30-2006, 09:11 PM

Default RE: deer meat! bad or good?

You can freeze and thaw all you want, the only thing it will change is quality/ taste. How do you think low end grocery stores get their meet? Frozen then they set it out and you buy unthawed. Most chicken is sold to stores frozen and then set out to thaw in the stores. Then we buy it and refreeze it.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

You can freeze and thaw all you want, the only thing it will change is quality/ taste. How do you think low end grocery stores get their meet? Frozen then they set it out and you buy unthawed. Most chicken is sold to stores frozen and then set out to thaw in the stores. Then we buy it and refreeze it.
Good point HOTBURN76. I work for a huge food distributor here in Columbus Ohio, and we get in "fresh" chicken" for a certain restaurant chain and it is frozen when we get it and is thawed by the time it is picke and shipped. Of course it is stored and picked in a 34 degree whse. I purchase this chicken myself and it is fine. better than i can go buy at any grocerie store. I see nothing wrong with refreezing meat as long as it has been thawed in the refrigerator. Handling is the most important part of any meat processing , weather it be cooking, thawing,or packaging. I woulkd bet BIGCOUNTRY ate something that somewhere down the line wasn't handled correctly. Remember, clean, sanitary, equipment, (knives, counter top, and any packaging material) and you should be OK 99% of the time.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:01 PM
bigcountry

So why do you guys think they come up with those guidelines? Everybody wants to take shortcuts including myself.

Hey thats why I say keep doing it. sooner or later, will learn ya.[:'(]

Old 03-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Time and temperature is the question 44 degrees for an hour won't bother or contaminate the meet. Frozen,thawed and refrozen or hung for days in the first place are about the same. I also freeze whole hinds and then thaw in the fridge to make jerkey.During the cutting and piling up of the strips I expect some of the meat gets over forty degrees for an hour or sobefore it gets back to the fridge or freezer. Never had a problem. I don't like hanging more than a day, so each to their own comfort level.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:24 PM

I can see that some people are lucky and never had food poisoning
or they would not take such foolish chances.

Spend 3 days in the hospital with an IV & you are so sick that you want to just die.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have refrozen meat before and I don't think its a problem if you use it up soon after refreezing.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on where it was thawed and if above 40F how long was it out. The danger is bacteria growth on the meat, that when frozen it will still exist and when thawed back out will continue to culture. Don't forget that when the meat is cooked above 160F the any bacteria is killed - so again it depends on how well you cook it after it sits out.

I re-freeze time and time but only if the thaw was in the fridge, or the meat sitting out did not completly thaw out above 40F.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Another point to mention is that meat from the "wild" is less succeptable to bacteria growth because of the lack of hormone presence in the meat. Farm raised beef will spoil at a much faster rate than venison, moose, elk or the best meat CARIBOU!
Old 04-01-2006, 08:48 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Nord QC Bouman

It depends on where it was thawed and if above 40F how long was it out. The danger is bacteria growth on the meat, that when frozen it will still exist and when thawed back out will continue to culture. Don't forget that when the meat is cooked above 160F the any bacteria is killed - so again it depends on how well you cook it after it sits out.

I re-freeze time and time but only if the thaw was in the fridge, or the meat sitting out did not completly thaw out above 40F.
Goodness gracious you cook your deer roast over 160???? Can you say very well done, very dry?

Most I ever smoke a quarter to is 152F. Thats almost medium to medium well.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:08 AM

The general rule for safety is, 4/40. The food, no matter what, should not be over 40 degrees for 4 hour total not each time. So if you have fresh meat (never frozen) and it takes two hours to get it below 40, you then have two hours safely later above 40. At least that is what is taught in Rest. cert. courses as I remember it. Also, as far as cooking temp goes, your main goal is over 140 degrees. 99% of bacteria dies at this temp, so for the most part you will be safe. The 1% remaining doesn't die until 190 degrees, which is ruined food.

Quick Reply: deer meat! bad or good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.