Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Albino bucks

Old 07-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Albino bucks

I think it takes three cycles of breeding for the genes to show up.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Might Mite

I think it takes three cycles of breeding for the genes to show up.
what do you mean by this?
Old 08-28-2006, 04:47 PM

sweet looking pictures guys!!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lildevock

The chromosomes that caused this animals genetics to mutate differently from the pack and produce an animal that has the recessive albino trait is something that in the long run will cause the animal to not survive in the wild as long as a "normal" deer would.
Please answer this; Albino is a recessive trait, we know this through evolution because otherwise there would be tons of albino's running around the woods. So, you're well educated. What happens when the recessive trait (albino trait)mates with a dominant trait (brown hair, non albino). The result is and normal deer. If the other deer is Ab recessive, and the albino is BB, the result is gonna most likely be an piebald. it from harming the rest of the herd.
couple things that need to be corrected

1. albinism is NOT a MUTATION...it is simply the showing of a pair of recessive alleles in the animals genetic code

2. "AA" would be called homozygous dominant animal or a normal deer not carrying the albino allele..."aa" would be called homozygous recessive or known as an albino deer...if you cross "AA" X "aa" then you would get 100% heterozygous animals or normal deer that are carrying the albino allele in their genetic code

3. if you cross "Aa" X "aa"...a carrier with albino...you would get 50% heterzygous animals or carriers of the albino allele...and 50% homozygous recessive or albino deer...

just to clear things up...but you were on the right track!!
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 PM

Well here in KY any deer is legal game. Only time ive seen an albino was in Ohio COunty, KY while on the way to the bank with my grandpa in the second weekend of rifle season. I looked off into a cornfield and not 50 yards from a VERY busy road, i saw a huge mainframe 5x5 chasing a solid white albino doe(pink eyes). I laughed thinking on how hard that decision would be if i was sittin there with a rifle in my hand.

For a gov't to protect a deer because of its color is ignorant. it's no different than protecting racks over a certain size because they too, are "special".

I kno this is kind of off the subject,but has anyone seen a solid black deer or beter yet a buck? since albino is rcessive gene and not a mutation, does this make a black deer a mutated deer? how do they become black, and are these even more rare than a white/albino deer?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Typical Buck

Id like to see the pink eyes in a closeup pic. Id like to see some pics of black deer also. Ive seen one albino doe here in Va. been about 5 yrs ago and it was in someones front yard. Still wanted to throw lead at it.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

Very cool!!!We have alot of white deer around senca lake ny, they have been locked up in that airforce base for years. NOT albinos though. I arrowed a nice piebal doe a bunch of years ago. no pics...it was back in the 35mm days. unless someone knows how to post 35mms???
Old 08-29-2006, 08:49 AM

ive been readin along, and....all I can say is wow....I know I'd be so mad and depressed if that magnificent albino buck was puttin' round my stand...Ive seen a good buck here in my town in Connecticut, scores around the 160s. Only one guy has had the chance to harvest it, but instead of shooting it, he just filmed it...if that were me, he woulda been on the wall so fast it wouldnt even be funny, haha. There's a whole bunch of albinos in Groton, CT, but they're messed up because their parents and all that ate waste that came from a powerplant, and had albino fawns,or so the story goes...

-Travis-
Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 AM

First off, I am not saying that the big buck in question here is, or is not albino, what pictures I could see (my work has a program that filters out pictures). He is a magnificent animal, would certainly look good above my fireplace.

But, there is an important point here and that is that there are TWO different kinds of white deer.. One is an albino, the OTHER is piebald. They are not the same. A piebald deer may, or may not, be all white. A piebald deer is not genetically inferior. A piebald deer does not have pink eyes and generally has black/brown hooves and often has brown spots or blotches. A piebald deer is the result of a recessive gene and is a white deer. Kind of like a yellow labrador is not an albino lab but just a white or yellow colored dog from a breed that is mostly black. Or just an odd color phase of squirrel. They aren't inferior genetically and often tend to be outstanding animals. In some areas of the country, piebald deer are not uncommon at all. Where we are in Miss, while you won't see a piebald deer very often, I would not consider them extremely rare, several are killed every year. Two years ago, if memory serves me right, there was a B/C buck killed in the delta that was piebald. Where we hunt there are several, including a wiley old doe that many have been after for a long time.They are highly prized and hunted to be mounted.

An albino deer is all white, has pink eyes, and like stated in previous posts, tend to be genetically inferior. They generally don't make it but a couple of years because they tend to be weaker and disease prone as are albinos of most species (including human). Albino deer, unlike piebald, are actually very rare.

I think that unless the state law specifies piebald, a hunter that shot a piebald and was charged with shooting an albino would have an excellent defence.

Hank
Old 08-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Definetly, and wouldnt even need a lawyer i bet. Good point man.there is a very strong difference in the two.

Quick Reply: Albino bucks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.