Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My 1st Sambar deer Hunt

Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 AM

Default My 1st Sambar deer Hunt

I didn’t get to leave until Wednesday morning and no sooner did I leave then it started to rain I got to the DSE office late in the afternoon but had no trouble getting my licence and the local officer suggested a spot ½ an hour down the road from Benalla that was fairly open and would be a good place to start. I arrived just on dark and set up a wet camp and got ready for the morning. I got up at 4am and made some breakfast in the car as it was still raining and I headed out. I started walking a stream bed and made it about 2km with little sign and a lot of rain when I lost my footing on a rock and twisted my knee and I had to hobble back to camp I got back in the afternoon and cut the toe out of a sock and doubled it up and slid it over my knee and read a book for the rest of the afternoon, in short day one went bad and I only had ½ a day left before I had to head back so that I could go down the coast on the weekend.

Day two started better as my knee was a little better but it’s a good thing tat I stop every 50-100m when I’m stalking as it started to get really painful about then but after sitting down for 5-10min I was good to go again after a couple of hours I saw my first rub and I got excited then a little further on I found some fresh tracks and I doubled my caution a half hour later had me heading back up a gully and I came across another rub and I was certain that there was a decent stag in the area. I stoped to rub my knee another 200m or so up from the last rub when something burst from cover to my left I swung the gun up a saw a wombat. I was a little hyped when something crashed in the cover to my right probably spooked by my movement I got my rifle up just in time to catch a glimpse of my first Sambar I very nearly pulled the trigger but it made it’s way through a fallen tree and in a blink it was gone I saw some antler but I can’t be sure how much all I know is he was pretty big he looked like a dark red cow jumping over a log.
I made my way to where he was but I lost any sign in the thick under growth so I made my way back up the gully to my camp. Another 100m or so further up the hill I found 3 rub trees close together that he had been tearing up the ground around so I would guess that he has clamed that gully as his own.

The 1st rub

Old 03-20-2006, 12:08 AM

Default RE: My 1st Sambar deer Hunt

The 2nd rub
Old 03-20-2006, 12:10 AM

The prints

Old 03-20-2006, 12:13 AM

The 3rd set of rubs
Old 03-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gee interesting hunt.To bad you hurt your knee.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Ouch! Toughdecicion to keep at it!
Seem like a cool species!

I bet its not your last try with the Sambars.