Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Last question, Regarding Rattling >

Last question, Regarding Rattling

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last question, Regarding Rattling

Old 10-23-2002, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Last question, Regarding Rattling

It is still pre-rut in my area of Florida (barely). I picked up a rattle bag but don't know a thing about using it, other than the very little i have seen on TV hunting shows.

Any advice would be appreciated, such as, frequency of rattling, duration, etc.

Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Last question, Regarding Rattling

Start off soft in your sequences, that is do not go hawg wild off the get go. Then increase the intensity. I will start off with about 20-30 sec sequence, wait 30 min. Then increase the intensity and duration to between 30-60 sec, wait 30 Min and repeat. After the 3 or 4th set I will move and repeat as prior. I always grunt with the sequences. Also have found it real successful to rack trees, samplings, scratch on the ground, prior to the sequence starting (simulates dominant bucks Qing up for battle), once I am finished I grunt and pound on the ground to simulate a deer fleeing. I then rack the trees again and give out a set of grunts and shut up for 30 minutes. I have always prefered rattling on the ground to in a tree, as obviously to accomplish the ground pawing,etc. but secondly I move a lot. Never rattle the exact spot 2 days in a row, especially if you called something in. even the slightest change of venue, 200 yards will produce better results. Also always watch the downwind side, buck will often come in or sneak in downwind...only takes a second and the gig is up. I can't tell you how many times, I have seen deer working up the downwind side, scent will sometimes through them off, but yet other times they just keep winding in till they figure out it doesn't add up. Of the deer that have been killed by my rattling 4 have been taken sneaking in the back door, so it is really worth to be able to do the owl trick and rotate your head 360. Be really aware of twig snaps, leave rustling or horizontal lines in bush areas. Some bucks will hang back in the shadows, while others will race out hair standing on end, so my best advice is be ready to shoot at anytime and know your lanes and yardage before you start rattling.

Patience and presistance are keys to any hunting technique. It is not a sure thing, but on certain days it can be gold.

Good Luck and have some fun with that bag.

Old 10-23-2002, 09:09 PM

Default RE: Last question, Regarding Rattling

teal: I'm in north central Fla. my slef. the rattling in my area works best in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I always have the best luck durning B/P season,(next week).

If you rattle like they on TV you will scare all the deer off in Fla. I just more or less tickle them. just enough they can be heard 50 to 75 yards.thats not very loud.I do it for a couple min. then wait 15 to 20 min. then do it again.

best time for me is at first light,then go from there.if it doesnt work at first don't give up. keep trying it.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.