Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Summer Deer Calls

Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Summer Deer Calls

What calls would be good to use during the summer?I plan on practicing with my calls a little this summer and see if I can better my chances at calling them in.I know that the summer is'nt prime time to use calls but from what I understand white-tails are very vocal even during the summer.What calls should I focus on during the summer?I've read a doe grunt and bleat work well.I would assumea buck grunt is mostly used during the rut.Not sure though socorrectme if I'm wrong.
Can someone shed some light on this subject for me.Things like what calls to use and not to use.I'd also like to know when would be a good time to start practicing the buck grunt.
Oh and also,where is a good place to buy these calls.I have the Tru-Talker for most callsbut i've never seen a doe grunt anywhere.
Thanks,
James

[/align]
Old 03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Summer Deer Calls

I really don't understand the reasoning but hey, have fun....use contact calls and non mating grunts and bleats.

The Tru Talker will make doe grunts if you place your finger right....check out the Deer Flute by River Valley Game Calls with it's brass slide or any other call that you can move the o-ring.

Again, the key to successful early season whitetails is to allow them to go about their routines without disturbing them. Summer whitetails are easy to pattern and I'd be careful about calling them and wising them up to you too early...but again, good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

I won't be doing this on land i'm hunting so nothing to worry about.The reason I want do this is to just have a better idea of how they react to calls and to just learn more about them.
Thanks for the tips.
James
Old 03-08-2006, 11:38 AM

hey thats a great idea!!! call in some bucks, youll get to see the velvet on there antlers and see what calls they like and what bucks are in that area. its sort of like scouting
Old 03-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the support NYBowhunt3r.Hopefully I'll be able to gets some responses.I just think it would beneat to see how close I could get them to me.Just study how they act and how they react to me and whatever may be around.
Thanks,
James

[/align]
Old 03-08-2006, 10:05 PM

I hear that a fawn in distress call works great. Anydeer within hearing distance comes to investigate.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Spike

Fawn in distress is what I was going to say. Just blar it like a screaming baby. Or rabbit distress. I saw it on a hunting show. The guys kids were doing the calling. Deer would come flying in. So I did this on a camping trip one time and we called a doe in to about 20 yds. She stared at us for about a minute before she decided to bolt. There were 8 of us standing by a firepit in the campsite watching her. Thats how little she cared. It was pretty cool.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Should I wait until later in the year before using the fawn distress or does it matter?
Thanks,
James

[/align]
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO I wouldn't use the fawn call,that really will not show you any thing.I would use doe and buck grunts.If you get deer to come to those then you are doing something.