Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Money to burn! (theoretically) >

Money to burn! (theoretically)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Money to burn! (theoretically)

Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Money to burn! (theoretically)

Go for the Bow. When i got my first i fell in love with it. Mathews, Bowtech, and Hoyt all good chocies but see which one is the most comfortable.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

awwww, dont listen to windwalker about the crossbow parti got a horton and i absolutely love it! all u have to do is buy your bolts, broadheads, and go and shoot 45 or 50 rounds to get it sighted in. easy as tht. go with the rifle CROSSBOW combination. my horton only cost me 350.00 so u'll have some extra cash to scope your rifle and your crossbow. but dont forget, one shot, one kill, horton
lol apparently you've never been graced by the power and presence of an Excalibur crossbow now have you? go to cabela's and ask to shoot the ExoMax and you'll never pick up a Horton again......been there done that
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 PM

If I had to choose I would buy a bow because the season is usually longer. But with a 1000 dollars you could buy both if you looked around. plus if you have a shot gun you may be able to buy a slug barrel for it to compensate for a rifle. A poor man has poor ways. Thats what I live by if I aint got the money to justify buying it then I don't need it.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the advice guys!I think I will try for the compound bow, rifle combination. I need more advice though, I write left handed, shoot right handed. I went to a sporting goods store yesterday and was looking over a compound bowjust to get a look and feel. My problem is that my right arm is weaker than my left and I had problems drawing the bow. I think the saleman said it had a 70 lb draw. I don't think I want a left handed bow because that will mess me up. Have any of you faced this dilema?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:58 AM

What ever you don't buy 2 cheap things and end of cursing and swearing at them when the season rolls around. You already have a gun that you can use to gun hunt so I would get a good bow. Personally I would go with a Horton or Excaliber, but that is beside the point. Take what is left from the bow and if you can find a good gun with good optics (if you want them) for a deal then pick it up. If not I's hold out and hunt with the bow and shotgun until you can get something good. Nothing is worse than your equipment failing when you need it most.[&:]

[/align]
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

get a bow. the learning curve isn't that bad. i use a recurve and it's a lot harder to shoot than a compound but if you've got a couple months to practice say 20 min. aday you'll be ready. i suggest shooting with someone who knows what there doing or get the shop you buy the bow from to get you squared away. bow season is the bomb here in new York. it's still going during the rut and starts so early that the first week is a great time to bag a doe or scout out that buck for the rut
Old 03-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you buy anything, I think you should seriously think about what type of hunting you want to be doing. What kind of turain you'll be hutning on. Big game, small game....etc. What kind of challenge you are looking for.....
Old 03-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

Windwalker,anyone can hunt with a cb in Pa. You don't have to be disabled. Check seasons and dates in regs digest.

The only time you can hunt with a CB, if you aren't disabled,is during the early muzzle loader season, the rifle season and late muzzle loader. Maybe in Allegheny Co. but I'm not sure about that.

Answer me this. If a hunter is not disabled, can he hunt the first day of archery season anywhere in the state? The answer is .....NO.....Why limit yourself to one week, during the early muzzleloader in PA, with a cross bow, when you can hunt 6 weeks with a compound.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:55 PM

All you need 45# to kill a deer..
Old 03-13-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are right to be concerned on getting the best you can. My suggestion would be to get a nice Mathewes bow this year and concentrate on a gun next year if you can only get one. My reason for this is that with a bow yu will usually get a longer season and be able to be in the woods longer. Plus you said you like to hunt out of state and a lot of states don't allow cross-bows. but back to the bow always to try to get the best quaility gear you can and I don't think anyone here will argue with me Mathewes makes the best. As far as a rifle goes I would rather get a medieoka rifle and a real good scope then the other way around. Mike

Quick Reply: Money to burn! (theoretically)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.