Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guided hunts

Old 03-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Guided hunts

I been reading the posts about canned and hunting over bait to food plots,Would hunting with a guide be in the same field as the ones mentioned? A guide knows where the animals are most of the time I would think.Instead of sitting over bait he leads you to the animals for your pick.I think there are some states that you have to have a guide,I am not sure on that,But how do people feel about these kind of hunts?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guided hunts

I think there are some states that you have to have a guide
Alaska and Wyoming wilderness come to mind. There is a broad spectrum of what is advertised as "guided hunts". Some can and do involve what some would consider canned type operations (especially the ones that GUARANTEE success). Others are totally legitimate and the stuff a lot of dreams are made of (big country, wilderness, challenging). If you are considering doing something like that, research and refereces ( from former clients) should be two words you get real aquainted with. I'm sure there are people that will help if You ask the right questions.

If your just askin' for general purposes, then guided hunts reflect the individual that's running that showand there are all types ofindividuals out there.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally view "guided hunts" in the same light as high fence hunting (but not necessarily canned hunts). I am sure there is probably a difference, but I have my opinions like everyone here.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally view "guided hunts" in the same light as high fence hunting (but not necessarily canned hunts). I am sure there is probably a difference, but I have my opinions like everyone here.
You have obviously never been on a guided hunt in the wilderness.There are absolutely no guarantees and unlikehigh fence hunting the animals can totally leave the area at any time.You don't stay in a comfortable lodge and you are at the mercy of mother nature.I have been on backpack "guided hunts"for bighorns and mountain goats and I am sure that these hunts in no way resembled high fence hunting.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:59 AM

That would be the hunt that I would want.Take me out to the wilderness and let me scout the area that I am to hunt.I wouldn't care if my guide knew nothing about the area to hunt,as long as it was my hunt.I think we all should respect how everyone hunts... Times are changing and it's no longer about food,Can these same people survive if they was in the wild???I believe when it comes to hunting it is exactly what it means.
A canned hunt is for people who got the money and are looking for a fast trophy.
Hunting over bait is for people who want to change the pattern of deer to meet their needs in seeing deer when they want to...
Hunting leased land with food plots is the same as hunting over bait...The deer allways show up there without having much pressure on them..
Now a caged hunt of 10000+ acres where you pay to go into hunt,Withoutout a guide or stands and feeders and not allowed to hunt within 150 yrds of the fence.I consider this a wild hunt...
I am just trying to catch up on all the posts on, bait,canned and food plots...I do believe that if you want your child to become a hunter,You teach him in the wild...What can one learn about hunting if allways expect to see animals they are after if given to them?? Yes I would enjpy to see my child bag a deer or other animal..Not in a guaranteed way though..This is when you become the guide for them and teach them...
Old 03-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Irish Yankee

That would be the hunt that I would want.Take me out to the wilderness and let me scout the area that I am to hunt.I wouldn't care if my guide knew nothing about the area to hunt,as long as it was my hunt.
Yankee I hunt in Alberta Canada at times and you HAVE to hunt through an outfitter and with a guide if you are a non resident ... and I can assure you that hunting in the vast Canadian bush in sub freezing conditions is no "canned" hunt ... I can also assure you that if you have to pay the kind of money it takes to get to hunt a place like Alberta and only have 6 or 7 days you will care wether or not your guide knows the area he has selected for you to hunt ... my first trip to Canada I spent 66 hours (6 days 11hrs per day)in the "box" several days in sub zero conditions and never got a shot ...yep it was at about that point I was questioning myselfif MY guide had a clue .....

dd
Old 03-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guided hunt with a REPUTABLE outfitter is a "normal" hunt that someone else did the scouting for you, and in the case of hunting a species that you are not familiar with, the guide fills in the species/land knowledge you don't have. They are FAR from fenced or canned hunts.

They are a way, in my opinion, to hunt a different part of the country or even world, for a species that you don' thave the chance to hunt where you are. You could do do it yourself, or even drop camp hunts, but if you don't have the years it takes to build up the knowledge, of both the animal and land, a guide is a sort of "short cut" to this knowledge.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

A canned hunt is for people who got the money and are looking for a fast trophy.
Hunting over bait is for people who want to change the pattern of deer to meet their needs in seeing deer when they want to...
Hunting leased land with food plots is the same as hunting over bait...The deer allways show up there without having much pressure on them..
Now a caged hunt of 10000+ acres where you pay to go into hunt,Withoutout a guide or stands and feeders and not allowed to hunt within 150 yrds of the fence.I consider this a wild hunt...
Not quite sure what you are saying, I think your point is that huntnig in a 10000 acre fence is more sporting then hunting near a corn field or food plot? BTW, this stuff has been beaten to death here lately, you might want to look into some of the old threads and add to them rather than start another one next time.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:44 PM

I am not rich so if i had the opertunity to go way out west and hunt I could not pay that kinda of money and come back with tag soup! If I was to go out I would probally only have a couple of days to do it and in my mind that is not enough time to even find good spots or ask permission from the privet land owners. It would be like a guy coming on here and saying "guys I need your help I scout for two days before a three day season and never haveany luck whats my problem?" Well duh you didn't scout! So I would have to have a guide. Now I would not want him to spoon feed me and put me up in a blind with a tv and microwave, but I would like to have some advice and help with the land and what not, And also I would like to come home and not become part of the wild! Now when I go up north I will just call the good old DOC he will help me!! LOL. I don't like to debate on here but your reply post makes no sense at all. You say all the stuff you are against but then want to hunt in a high fence. Food plots alter deer movements is bad,but its ok to put up a fence and alter the population? That just makes no sense to me. I doubt a guy would put up 10,000 acres of fence and just to keep stuff out, its to keep his pen raised deer in. And I have never heard of a high fence that would not have some type of food plot or something for the deer. Hope I answered your question, but what you said about the high fence don't make any sense.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

I have employed the services of a professional guide the last 3 years on a wilderness caribou hunt in Newfoundland. All non resident hunters have to be with a guide in the province. The first year was my first experiance with a guide and it was a blast. He was there to make sure we had a good, safe time and in no way did he point us to the game. We were a team and I soon decided that he was simply another hunting companion who knew more about the wilderness than I did. I learned from him and used him as my guide for the past 3 years. He is more than a guide he is my friend and we stay in contact all year. Being with him made the hunt way more memorable and fun. I am sure I could have killed a bou without him but it wouldn't have been as much fun without his stories and jokes. I don't view using a guide in a wilderness setting as taking a short cut. We both walked the same amount of distance and saw the same game. He is now one of my best friends and I am better for knowing him.

Quick Reply: Guided hunts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.