Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guided hunts

Old 03-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Guided hunts

Having done a lot of east coast whitetail hunting and now moved to Oregon it has become obvious us and I mean just about all of the east self proclaimed experts don’t have a clue about the big country. Game densities and travel distances are totally different. Most east coast forests deer stay in a square mile or so. Western areas you are talking hundreds of square miles if not thousands. Some bear travel 30 miles on way a day, square that and you have 900 square. Kind of like the area of all of South Jersey Pine Barrens. I am new to this and was good at scouting the east coast deer. Out here I am awed. You will wait 10 years or more for a bighorn tag and a 6 to 8 animal heard probably roams 100s of miles. I want a guide for my chance of a life time that has been doing the scouting and can get me real close. Seasons are only days long and pack ins to a general area take days. So how is a newbie to the area going to do his own scouting, get real. Knew an outfitter in Alberta who takes six or so hunters a week at a time and his scouted stands are 20 miles apart and took many years to set up in the correct spot. Does it seem likely that even an expert has a chance of locating game in a week. I don’t think so. You really need to be dropped off in the middle of no where out west to see how humbling it is.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Irish Yankee

When I placed the guided hunts in cat with other types of hunt,,I ment as in the guide leading you right to the animal.I should of made this clearer..Some people find canned hunts unethical,As for the stands are in place and they know the deer will show up there. But there are some canned hunts where you have to do the work yourself.(scouting)
Hunting over a food plot...Now a cornfield compared to deer munch clover and attractants just for deer are 2 diffrent types of food plots..One is for profit and survival and the other is intentionalto lure deer and wildlife in.
I have seen many guided hunt videos.Most of them I seen was the guide would take you to spot and wallah,The deer showed up there,,or they put a person on stand and drive a woodlot.How can this be any diffrent from the other hunts?? When you look at stats on guided hunts,,97+ % success ratio on a harvest.More than less areyou not just pulling the trigger and the guide did the rest of the work for you? I guess all these hunts can be positive and negative depends how they work.Hunting is not being successful all the time.It's about your own personalwork that you put into hunting to help increase your chances..

Shows how ignorant you really are about the guiding industry, or about hunting in general. Come work with me for a season, I gurantee you'll change your mind.
I have an idea, go do something productive to protect our hunting and fishing rights, instead of trying to bring us down.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:14 PM

This was about putting guided hunts in cat as the other hunts.I have no idea about what you are talking about ignorant.I do my own scouting for wildlife... Have been very successful on my own.So,what does the hunter do when he goes on a guided hunt?He follows the guide around untill they find an animal?What work does the hunter have to do on a guided hunt?Pick the animal he wants and shoots it...I didn't come on here for arguments or to be called ignorant from wanting to know others opinions on here..Everyone who replied so far has stated their opinions.You come on here and insult another hunter when just an opinion on this would of been fine...If you can't state an opinion without insulting anyone,I would suggest not to even reply to these kind of posts...All I wanted was input to get a diffrent prospective on the wayother hunters thoughtabout guided hunts....Not to be disrespected from a ......
Old 03-08-2006, 02:42 PM

This was about putting guided hunts in cat as the other hunts.I have no idea about what you are talking about ignorant.I do my own scouting for wildlife... Have been very successful on my own.So,what does the hunter do when he goes on a guided hunt?He follows the guide around untill they find an animal?What work does the hunter have to do on a guided hunt?Pick the animal he wants and shoots it...I didn't come on here for arguments or to be called ignorant from wanting to know others opinions on here..Everyone who replied so far has stated their opinions.You come on here and insult another hunter when just an opinion on this would of been fine...If you can't state an opinion without insulting anyone,I would suggest not to even reply to these kind of posts...All I wanted was input to get a diffrent prospective on the wayother hunters thoughtabout guided hunts....Not to be disrespected from a ......

I was saying you were ignorant about the guiding industry and what is required of the hunter when they hunt with a guide. Sorry if you took it as me calling you completely ignorant, thats not what I meant.
There is very very very little guranteed when hunting with a guide. The hunter has to put in a ton of hours on stand, glassing, stalking, being in foul weather. As a guide I can put a hunter in an area and increase his chances of killingthe buck/bear of a lifetime, no gurantee. If youthink its having a hunter follow me to thegame and I say "here, pick the one youwant", now thats ignorant. Thats what I gathered from your statements earlier and I will stick to my comment.
Plus the statement that the success rate with a guide is 97+%, thats ignorant too, obviously no research done on that figure.

Now don't take this as me calling you ignorant, but some of your statements and generalizations are.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dan, your right on the money! I started huntingin Alberta(Bow Zone) last year and I learned how vast Canada really is. It's awesome! Without a guide up there I wouldn't have a clue, it's that big. Not to mention the propertys a guide can get you on! From what I know, about half of Alberta is Crown land and is leased to farmers and ranchers. These are propertysmy guide has access to and not the general public. All my guide does is put me the best possible spot to shoot a MONSTER. No promises.
Time in stand= best chance, period!
Old 03-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guys this post is starting to sound suspiciously familer ...there was another "Guided Hunt" slammer on this forum last year arguing the exact same subject ...kind of makes me wanna go " hemmmmmmm" ???? Im wondering if this might not be ole MooseHornHunter ...some of you older members will remember him before he was banned ....

dd
Old 03-08-2006, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Guys this post is starting to sound suspiciously familer ...there was another "Guided Hunt" slammer on this forum last year arguing the exact same subject ...kind of makes me wanna go " hemmmmmmm" ???? Im wondering if this might not be ole MooseHornHunter ...some of you older members will remember him before he was banned ....

dd
DD, he doesn't have the.......panache, of moosedrool.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

dd

Thanks for the heads up DD, I haven't been here that long.