Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scope or Iron Sites

Old 02-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scope or Iron Sites

What about fiber sites, like tru-glo? I use them on my ML and shotgun, really easy to see the sitesin low light. I don't expect to shoot past 50 - 75 yards, so these work well for me.

-Rick C.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:46 PM

On a dangerous game rifle 458win mag and up or on a fast handling brush gun where ranges are limited to 30m and under I like open sights with a ghost ring for all other shooting I like a 2-7 scope or a 4-12 for long range stuff.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

What about "see thru"scope rings.Best of both worlds.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would be lost without both.
When the hounds are running or still hunting in the woods I grab the iron sighted model 94 lever. When sittingnear water orfields I take the scoped bolt action.
I'm keeping my eyesopen for an intermediate gun,probably a pump scoped with see-thru rings.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are the quickest to use on close or moving game
Actually a person experienced in the use of scopes can be every bit as quick with a low powered scope.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Iron sights and scopes have there place, all depend on what type of hunting you intend on doing...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly....

If I were hunting with a bolt action rifle overlooking some open fields, you better believe I'd be using a scope.

If I were hunting in the woods and heavy brush (my preferred hunting style) I'd be using the classic 30-30 with plain open sights.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:07 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper
Actually a person experienced in the use of scopes can be every bit as quick with a low powered scope.
I agree completely. With a scope there is no need to align the sight with the post and then after that shift focus align the whole bulk to the target and try to keep it horizontal. The scopeshows all info in the samt focal plane so no shift of the focus is needed.
It is however required that the scope is mounted in such a way, that it does not require any head movement to see the sight picture. Im faster with the scope than iron sights and I guess that most people actually are also,even if commmon word says the opposite.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

What about "see thru"scope rings.Best of both worlds.
Not really.The scope is mounted so high that you can't get a proper cheek position on the stock and see through mounts are much weaker than a good low mount.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitecloudhunter

i shoot better with iron sights then i do with a scope
Uhhh... Yeah right... You are trying to tell me you could hit an apple at 300 yards with open sights? Or a quarter at 100 yards? This can be done with a scope!

Anyway, no one has brought up the issue of humane kills. I have seen far to many deer injured with open sights. Especially during muzzleloading where people have some sort of complex about scoping their muzzleloaders. With the new muzzleloaders they are capable of reaching out to 150 yards easily.

I look at it this way, putting a scope on a gun allows for a better opportunity at a humane kill and I have seen too many inexperienced hunters shoot open sights. This kills me, these are the guys who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. For-that-matter we do not let hunters on our land with open sights. Hell, I even scope my turkey gun!

If you are an excellent shot with open sights, by this I mean you hit an 8-inch plate at 100 yards every time you pull the trigger than I say you are fine using open sights. If notto guarantee humane kills you better scope your gun.

Quick Reply: Scope or Iron Sites

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.