Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunters with children that hunt, need some advice. >

Hunters with children that hunt, need some advice.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunters with children that hunt, need some advice.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:07 PM

Default RE: Hunters with children that hunt, need some advice.

Just get her out I have 7 kids and 17 grand kids and always have 1 taging along Some go 1 time and others want to go all the time one granddauter started at 2 1/2 and Wants to go every time she sees a gun or bow case she has been with me on turkey and hog kills and loves to ride the 4 wheeler what every one has said is good advice . warm afternoon hunts with a good chance at seeing game and a good gameboy with extera batterys have fun and remember they are going to scare some game off LOOK DADDY A DEER!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

My dad would always talk to me about hunting. When I was four a got a bb gun. I would always watch hunting movie. It all depends on the person. There are some kidsi rather be around then a 40 year old. I would first start slow. Take her out and just sit in the woods and see how she reacts. Then keep moving up.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Start taking her into the woods now. I took my son bow hunting when he was 3 I strapped him in a stand and he loved it. I think he was more excited seeing the squirels then the 4 does that came by.(lol) Plus a huge flock of geese came over tree top high just a honking. He still talks about that. Now he is 8 and I take him a couple of "sits" a year. His attention span is getting better. This year he was sitting right next to me when a 7 pointer came in at 10 yards and he saw me shoot him. The look in his eyes was unbeleivable. He always helps me "track" a deer and I let him follow the blood trail, even though many times I already saw the deer go down. But, that makes him feel good to help do that when he doesn't sit with me.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

My Dad had me bundled up in a goose blind at 4 yrs. old and I have been hunting everything since. Just make sure they are warm and have something to do such as read, eat, color or something.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:09 PM

id say start teaching her now....take her out to your stand and let her wwatch and educate hands on.....thats what my dad did for me when i was that old...just tell she has to sit still.....it took me a while to figure that out.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

my dad loves guns and used to be a hardcore hunter....i started pretty young...i have pics fishing in diapers...then i got a BB gun..mini red ryder type gun..just smaller....dad would throw out a vegtable can and id plink away...then he let me shot his 22 when i was 4-5-6 at the oldest....along with a 38 revolver that i think i dropped or almost dropped....i was 4-5 when he started taking me groundhog hunting with him...5 or 6 i got to go squirrel hunting with him...when i was 3-4 i started taking walks in the woods and hanging stands with him...he started showing me sign and how to read it that young...6 i started coon hunting with the dog and him at night.....i was probably the bravest 6 year old youll ever meet....12 is the legal hunting age here..11 i got my saftey course no problem passing..and a single shot 20ga for xmas..i think i missed one question out of 50 or 100....turned 12 in march....got a marlin 22lr for my bday..that may i was turkey hunting....now my parents cant keep me out of the woods...dads proud of me i can tell.....killed my first turkey ever and i was ALONE..first time hunting alone when i turned 16...came home and woke him up after working a midnite(a BIG no-no in my house! lol)..he woke up smiling...LETS TAKE SOME PICTURES!! you did good!! you really were paying attention all them years!! now hes bragging about me every fall.....he doesnt hunt like he used to due to work and such.....and the fact that we dont have time to hunt together anymore.....we try to make time but somethings always coming up for one of us....i miss hunting with him...he taught me so much...im not saying start a 4yr old girl....i was just born and raised to be in the outdoors....i honestly think i was born with a fishing pole in my hands...dad used to have to fight with me when we would go deer hunting in the winter....i ALWAYS wanted to take my fishing gear!! now that im at college i make my schedule so i have a day or 2 off each week to hunt and fish...i really think it makes me who i am...if i didnt have time to hunt or fish i wouldnt know what to do....sure i got to take more classes the other days of the week....but its worth it...time in the woods or on the water is time well spend to me!...good luck with your daughter....keep her comfy and happy.....and keep her interested...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started all three of mineat around 4. Wait for a warmfall afternoon. Pack plenty of snacks and drinks and take her out squirrel hunting.When you see one make sure she can see it too before you shoot. Be prepared to give up when her attention span expires anddont try to make her sit still for long. Let her enjoy picking up acorns, wildflowers, whatever. Most anyhting in the woodscould be a big deal to her. Let her enjoy it. Ifyou bring something home thats great but that wont be the only thing important to her when she tells Mom all about her hunting trip.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the biggest thing is not really her, but you! You can take here whenever she's interested, but you will HAVE to adjust your expectations for the hunt. Expecting a young kid to sit still and quiet for a long period of time is foolish, occassionally it might happen, but don't expect it.

I started bringing my sons when they were around 6. We brought books, food, drinks and LOTS of warm clothes. A bored, cold kid is a sure way to ruin hunting for them! I remember having him sit right up against me on the ground and reading books quietly to him. Anything to make him enjoy the time in the woods with you. At this age its VERY important that they remember it as being a good time, seeing or getting animals is sure a bonus, but if you make them sit in the cold for 3 hours, then you shoot a monster buck, all they might remember is how cold hunting is.

--Bob

Old 02-23-2006, 06:27 AM

I took my 4 year old daughter a couple of times this year. Always made sure to take a blanket, crayons and coloring books and lots of snacks. She loved it and is already talking about going next year. She also will sit down with me and watch hunting shows on TV. Definitely my hunting partner of the future.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:36 AM

I think you can include them in "hunting" as soon as they are home. My son who is only 16 months, his 2nd word was deer. He likes to check out my mounts and touch them, we did have 1 little accident with the bear falling on him when he rammed into it with a truck but nothing a little therapy later can't fix. He has seen and pet birds I have brought home and he's thought some of the deer hangingfrom the polewere pretty cool. He loves to go for walks with me, and the best investment any new Dad can make are those back pack things and go for walks in the woods.

He loves my turkey and predator calls and he'll be out scouting and hanging stands this year with me before he's 2. As far as when he actually goes into the field with me to take game, that will depend solely on his maturity level and interest. He's already part of my "hunting expereince" though......

Quick Reply: Hunters with children that hunt, need some advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.