Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How would you like to come up on THIS in the woods? >

How would you like to come up on THIS in the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How would you like to come up on THIS in the woods?

Old 03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How would you like to come up on THIS in the woods?

Robert, How did ya get bit on the finger? I am by the way very careful with the snakes. When I first came to Florida I didn't have a boat and used to wade in the lakes. Not a good idea after nearly stepping on a huge gator inbedded in the mud.Also...saw lots of mocassins.Wading has stopped. When hunting I wear high rubber boots. I wonder if these boots would stop a snake? They are the ones I got.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:57 PM
Typical Buck

An interesting discussion, this. We have Northern Pacific rattlers in this area, a 5 foot one being really large. There's a picture I took of one at some winter dens on the following page:

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/wildlife.html

The topic of snakes comes up every once in awhile on various hunting sites and I'm always amazed at the high percentage of people who really fear them or just plain don't like them. The reason for my surprise is that hunters are far and away more enlightened about wildlife than the general public but still seem to short circuit when snakes or spiders are involved. They do worlds of good and are very shy and retiring; not going to chase you down and gobble you up like a cougar or griz occasionally does.

I forget who it was several pages back, but someone said he killeda rattlermowing his lawn. Heck, if I had one mowing my lawn, I'd sit back with a beer andlet himfinish, maybe giving him advice once in awhile where he needed to trim better.

BTW 121553, Ialmost stepped on a rattler while antelope hunting in MT one year. I washiking through the sage brush and just happened to look down half a step before making contact; jumped about a mile. It was a young one withonly a button; shaking his tail as hard as he could but not making a sound. I'm sure he was happy as a clam when I went on my merry way, although I think there's lots of guys on here who would have made a pancake out of him. Would be a shame.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

Here ya go Chuck.

I use to be an amature herptologist catching, trapping, and relocating reptiles and other animals for the state of floridaat the injured wildlife santuary, I have been bitten 4 times by rattlers and one cotton mouth that has left my left index finger deformed. The largest eastern diamondback that I caught was 6'3", and it took me and another handler to hold it, it was pure mussle and almost pulled its head out of my hand and the fang was overlipping its lipand I had to take and throw the snake down and as we were trying to recapture it,the dang thing had about a 4 or 5 foot striking radius and we finally caught it after what felt like forever. We made $350.00 off that snake.
If the diamondback in this picture was over 8 foot in length when it was alive, I personaly would of paid $5,000.00 for it, if it wasn't gassed. Cause I know I can sell it for a minimum of 10.
The snake dead may be 9'3" dead with its mussles relaxed, but alive it may of been 7 ft, (+-)but that still a hellava huge ratter and it sickens me that it was killed. Lot of southern states has the diamondback on the threatened specie list, making it illegal to kill it. Iwould like tosee if there is a law in texas about if it is an endangered specie and I would like to see this guy prosecuted for what I call a trophy of a snake.

Bobby
Cannuck, same thing happened to me in eastern montana year before last and I was coming back to the truck after a cold morning hunt. I had gotten to the burm of the road and as I steped over I heard a buzz, I knew exactly what it was when I heard it and it was right between my legs. I jumped straight up and almost landed back on him but because of the grass it couldn't get the trajectory and being a cool morning that was in the process of warming it was kind of lethargic. It was a little prarie rattler about a metre long. Dang thing almost reiuned my hunt, but I played with him for a little bitwith the end of my bow and then he scooted down a gopher hole.
Thats a pretty good site you got there.

Bobby
Old 03-19-2006, 03:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Real nice site ya got there. I'm a birder as well. Great pictures.
C7
Old 03-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

- About 25 years ago, the wife and I carried flour and oil when we backpacked in the VA/WVA mountains. After passingaround many small timber rattlers over the years, we eventuallycame across a very large timber rattler in a remote part of the Monongahela Nat Forest - tasted just like chicken.I thinktimbers are now protected, and it's now a rare event to come across one. We still use theadmonition for steppingcarefully while hiking,"watch out for dinner".
Like many ofyou posters, when I do see a copperhead or a timber rattler,I just leave them alone to do their thing. The exception is any copperheads around the house - for my wife's peace of mind. Otherwise, we both wear "snake-proof" rubber boots around the farm.
I just got back yesterday from2 1/2 weeks of hiking in Australia - the locals had me pretty nervous with stories of their deadlytiger snakes. Tiger snakes are territorial and are not shy and retiring; thank God we do not have to deal with all the poisonous snakes/spiders/plants they have Down Under. Icarried an epirb with me while hiking alone in one remote area of Tasmania, just so they could findmy body. Fortunately, the only livetiger snakeI saw was while I was driving - it was sunning alongside a road.
- Nice site Canuck, ditto on the bird pics...
-fsh
Old 03-19-2006, 01:53 PM

I do believe that's the biggest rattler I've ever seen. In Wisconsin, you see one every once in awhile. The biggest I've seen around here was about 6.5 ft long...and that would be considered a monster around here. Crazy picture!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 PM

I think I would have had to go back to the truck and change my pants!!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:51 PM

Dude, not f'ing way am I going to deal with that!!!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

WOW this thread got a lot more responce then I thought it would ...but then again it is something we are subject to walk up on if we arnt careful !

dd
Old 03-23-2006, 07:39 PM

The 97 lb part is pure BS. There is no way a man like the one in the picture is going to hold up that much weight on the end of a pole. Just try to hold a 12 lb sledge hammer out like that, now go get 7 more hammers and try that.PURE BS!!!.

Quick Reply: How would you like to come up on THIS in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.