Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING POWERLINES

Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 PM

Default HUNTING POWERLINES

the whole time i have hunted i have always hunted in the woods.
i was wonderinghow it would be to hunt the powerlines. has anyone had good success hunting powerlines. thanx
Old 02-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HUNTING POWERLINES

I have a powerline cut on the farm I hunt. The grass in the powerline cut is usually very tall, and trails are easily recognizable, so I usually get about 10 yards in the woods facing the cuts and get them after they cross and head into the woods. (this is bowhunting) It makes it nice in the early season because you can see them coming even with the leaves on the trees.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

My family and I have taken MANY deer off of powerlines. Usually it's in rifle season. There are so many people walking through the woods they have to cross sometime.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:41 PM

My main stand is on the powerline right-of-way. I usually plant something each fall to slow them down so I'm able to get a shot.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont. but my dad and my uncles always talk about the powerlines they hunted.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree...powerlines can be great...we have one that runs through one of our farms...have it planted in white ladino clover and a mix of wheat and rye...
Usually have 10-12 deer killed a year on it...It has produced for over 30 years...I especially love it when the dog hunters drop off their dogs on the farm beside ours...hoping to run the deer bedded in our swamp off our land and onto another adjacent farm...Those deer always cross the powerline about 50 yards away from my stand site... I love it when a plan comes together....
Old 02-08-2006, 02:35 PM

Powerline & Pipline "right of ways" have been very good to me also over the years too!! i also use them to sneak around the bedding areas when the wind is rite.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good spots ,but dont use the towers for your stand
Old 02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Good spots ,but dont use the towers for your stand
that would be smart LOL.

I have had great sucsess on powerlines. usually big bucks dont come out on them but i have taked a couple small ones and a whole truck load of does. me personaly i love them.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I can't count the number of times that I've accidentally bumped bedded deer in a powerline cut , now if I could just get there first ...

Quick Reply: HUNTING POWERLINES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.