Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait? >

Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
I think a wait up to 24 months is not unreasonable
1.45%
I think a wait up to 18 months is not unreasonable
11.59%
I think a wait up to 12 months is long enough
59.42%
I think 6 months is long enough to wait...
27.54%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

Old 02-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

Hank I think that is the sentiments of most ofhunters ..well said ..I do know that in the past Bill has told me that he will tell his customers up frontto be prepeard for a long wait ...and obviously there are a lot that do for his work ... but I would not wait over a year for a full body mount of Big Foot ...(no offense NY)

dd
Old 02-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you want quality, you shouldn't be suprised if it takes up to a year. The patience will pay off in the end though.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If mounts are being done in very fast order, I would be asking more serious questions about the process. I happen to know of a person who takes in mounts and claims that he knows everything about tanning hides and such. Trying to speed things up and making the quick buck (no pun intended here), he does his own tanning and does not send it off to the tannery. I got one of those quick jobs, and my one and probably only fair chase cougars is in a continual state of shrinking with the eyes coming out.

This same person did a couple of deer heads, in short order again, and the lips began to seperate and the hair started slashing. If the taxidermist sends it to the tannery, the wait time will usually be a little while. If he does it at home or in shop, it can and will usually be faster. I would want to make sure that he knows what he is doing before dropping off a trophy of a lifetime.

I by all means am not implying that when a mount is done fast, it is done wrong, I am just saying to dig in a little deeper and make sure that the guy knows what he is doing before taking the fast route,
There is guy in town who mounted a deer for me, it took over a year, the guy was a paramedic and worked a full time job. He only does a few heads a year a it is more of a hobby. The work was awesome and well worth the wait. He took the time and pride in his work and was not rushed by mass production.

I also have spent my fair share of time caping, skining and fleshing for a couple different taxidermists, and do know some of the nightmares that they encounter along the way, hotspots, knife slices, improper cuts needing repaired, and last but definatly not least the ever so popular steaks on the hide scenario. These allhave to be done to get back to ground zero just to work on it.

I don't buy the bit about biting off more than you can chew. If you were a person trying to feed your kids, would you turn work away, or be honest like Bill and tell the customer that it will be a while. If you don't like the wait, then go somewhere else.

I live in Idaho now, but grew up in the town next to Bill Yox, and beleive me, his reputation preceeds him, I heard about him years ago, and never a bad thing was said. I took a pheasant to one of the mass producers not far from Bill, I am sure that he knows who it is, and a year later, my two month wait time pheasant ended up in the trash after the feathers fell out one by one.

Do what you want with your trophy, but without proper research in the process that the quick ones have, you are taking a risk..........
Old 02-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had 2 deer mounts done so far. One was back in 4 months, with average quality. For my next buck I went to a different guy and he had it back to me in 7 months, with EXCELLENT quality.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:01 PM

Ok, as I see it, I have two ways to respond here. I can either bale now, as I dont like to sound like the bad guy, or, answer as honestly as I can, provided you guys sincerely want to know, and after having said so, I wont be called a liar. I wont remember who said what in the previous dozen posts to address you all individually, but bear with me, I still know what was said.

First to DD. He and I DO go 'round and 'round on topics. Why? Not because he and I are knotheads, its because we both enjoy debating. My words to him might sound harsh, but remember, hes a southern redneck and Im a northern yankee...or so we are told, lol. DD was worried I had misundestood or read too much into his words on the initial post. I am guilty of "carrying over" from another post he and I posted in, though. He PMed me about this, and also asked for an apology. Personally, I dont feel what I was trying to express would warrant one, but, DD has a good following in here, and I dont want anyone else, including him, to feel I was "dissing" him. So, that having been said, Scott, if you feel that was indeed the case, I do apologize. You certainly do know me better then that, as you said.

Next, someone brought up why I even bothered to post the explanation in the first place, as its simply a poll, and wasnt asking for that info. Basically, just answer the question! I guess, like I stated in that post, I was offering some insite from "the other side" so to speak.

Next up, someone doubted Id pay all those benefits to a shaver, etc. Think again! Yes, I could pay some guy a few bucks to help cape, and a few more here and there to do other meanial tasks. Now how often do you think hes going to stop by? When I need him, or when he doesnt have anything else going on? If you wanna run a top of the line operation, or even just a healthy smooth running one, you need to pay the guys well enough to get dependable guys you can count on. At least in these parts you do. And heres the key...do you the customer want me to trust YOUR once in a lifetime trophy with some guy who drops by for some extra money, or a guy who is "on the books" and working with pride in my studio? I know MY answer! So, I have to pay him at least what everyone else will, and that also means benefits. Thats NY for ya. And you know who is paying for that extra cost? You, the customer, of course.

Lets see, another question was how long does it take. Well,if there were no distractions, phone, daily operations, customer responsibilities (remember, you guys dont wanna talk to the counter person, you want ME, lol) I can pop a deer mount together in4 or 5hours, understand that thats not the whole process, but the major part of it. Custom work requires additional time. Now multiply that by 100 deer, other gameheads, african safaris, life size stuff, and turkeys, birds and fish if I choose to receive them. Its my full time job, by the way. Theres also at least 40 or so taxidermists within an hour radius of my studio, easily. Plenty of other choices, and they too are all busy.

So, this begs the question, what do I tell my customers? This is what used to get me in trouble, I tried to be the "good guy" and tell them the best scenario, or whatever I thought they wanted to hear. NO more! Nowadays I flat out say its over a year for sure, and Im currently over 18 months. Now I know, most of you are going to call me names and say youd never ever wait for me or anyone that long. Thats the point, Im banking on that. Could you imagine how behind Id be if you didnt? I now am as honest as I can be, to a fault, Im told. I lose work all the time to this. But I have to, as some of you in here have already correctly pointed out, its YOUR choice, and you, the consumer is who adjusts and regulates our return times.

I sit with this all the time, everyday, trying to figure a better way. Those of you who know me personally know how many people Ive tried to train as help in my studio. My prices are as high as I can charge here without losing the best customer out there...the average working class guy. I cant limit them by a numbered list orlimited number, like 50 heads and Im closed,either. The next day a father and son with the boys first deer will invariably show up as number 51, and Ill have to say "Sorry, Im not taking any more in this year". Heck, Im not going to be the one to pop THAT bubble! See, its not easy, is it?

So, hank does not need to apologize, I wasnt offended, and didnt take it that way. Im not "so good that guys have to wait" either. I thought my post would allow you guys to walk into "my backroom" so to speak, to see how an honest taxidermist describes how this is, and why he too worries over it, because he does value his customers. See, whena full time taxidermisttakes time off from work for deaths in the family, or lose a child (yes, on both counts here) or deal with cancer in your family (again, bingo) or suddenly experiences a wave of success thathe never expected,he gets behind. I used to work a few different factory jobs at one time, so I know how it works when you get the time off, someone else does your job or it waits for you. Mine just adds up, its different. Ive been there, both ways.

I have guys who lose patience here. I have one time customers who move on to taxidermists who get their work out sooner. I would venture to bet that 80 % or better would never knowingly wait over a year for a mount. The other 20% is who I am working for, though,but I still certainly respect the 80% groups choice. The words I most love hearing as I shake a customers hand as I hand him his completed invoice is, "Bill, now this WAS worth the wait, thank you."

Again, I only hoped to enlighten those who were receptive, and I cant and wont speak for those taxidermists who just dont get the work done, or whatever. Thanks guys, for the opportunity. Scott, I hope this is acceptable to you.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My deer has been at the taxidermist since Early December, 2004
Old 02-04-2006, 03:30 PM

I REFUSE to wait long periods of time for my mounts. I take my deer to 3 different taxidermist, depeding on what I'm having done. I shot a buck this year and I'm having it mounted. A father and son team does all the actual mounting and detail work, but they do send the hides off to a tannery. On average they do 350-450+ whitetail shoulder mounts, which does not count the other hundreds of mounts they do of different animals. They also do not start their taxidermy work until after deer season has closed (Jan. 15). The longest I have ever waited is 8 months, most of the time I'll have it back in 6. This year my buck won at a couple of big buck contest, so I need the mount back for the awards banquet. So I will get the deer back early May. Here is an example of work that my taxidermist do. These are what they consider "standard commercial mounts". Pictures to follow in the next few post......... hold on....

Old 02-04-2006, 03:31 PM

Heres a standard mount, that takes 6-8 months...

Old 02-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

tX thats a pretty thang for sure ...niceeeee buck ! This is my 10pt that I got back in 45 days ..so far its held up well ...

dd

Old 02-04-2006, 03:36 PM

A standard mount with alittle custom work done

Quick Reply: Taxidermist ...just how long should we be expected to wait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.