Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ban Jimmy Houston

Old 02-11-2006, 03:25 PM

Default RE: Ban Jimmy Houston

I think this has gotten blown WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of proportion and now it's become a "me too" bandwagon that alot of anonymous posters are blabbering about without thinking about what they are really saying about a man who is one of the most visible icons in the outdoor industry.

Is what he did stupid? Based on what I can see of the video, YES it was stupid and he had not business being there. He didn't buy a license to hunt up there? As far as I am concerned, imho ANYTIME you are hunting behind an enlosed tract of land be it 4 acres or 40,000 I don't think you should be required to purchase a hunting license. When the land is enclosed it becomes the SOLE possession and work of that landowner. The game warden and game departments are no longer doing anything on that place and the tax payers money is no longer doing anything for the support of any game contained within that enclosure so I think the "he had no license" debate is a moot point for that very reason. In some states if you actually DO hunt on enclosed lands you aren't actually required to purchase any permits.

Do I think Jimmy deserves a little flack for what he did while on camera? Sure I do if for no other reason than to say, "Hey Jimmy wtf were you thinkin and how do you call that huntin?" The deer obviously wasn't in a natural surrounding and obviously wasn't "just there". The guys in the background prove that out. SHAME ON HIM for that. But perhaps more importantly is SHAME ON HIM FOR PUTTING IT ON FILM. I don't really think they meant to put the kill on film as it occured back in 03. Had he planned on using the footage it would've aired in 04. And if he DID intend to use the footage but later realized it was too much of an embarassment and changed his mind, he should've destroyed the film. He HAS lost credibility with many and this HAS hurt his reputation with possible sponsors now. The man has busted his arse for 4 decades to become one of the industries biggest names. Why risk damaging some of that work on one silly hunting clip?

I feel sorry for Ms. Chris having to get involved. She obviously loves the man as they have been married for a long time and have done alot together, both on and off the TV. For the "bandwagon" to get so bad that she felt she had to come on public forums and defend his honor is bad enough and speaks equally as bad about those trashing them in their time of need.

I suspect many in here would just as soon nail him too a post, pour gas on him and set fire too him. WHY? He killed a damned ol deer under less than desirable circumstances (for which he has apologized for, no matter how "silly" some of that apology might be!) he didn't murder, rape or pillage. He didn't swindle the public or taxpayers out of millions or billions (he didn't air the tape so you can't say he committed fraud upon his viewers) like many politicians or greedy tycoons. But none the less some in here want to see the mans reputation and ability to earn a living for his family completely ENDED!!!

Do I still like Mr. Houston? Damn skippy I do. No matter how high we put our heroes on a pedestel, they are still human and prone to screw up every now and then. But in their cases there always seems to be a camera around to catch their mistakes (whether it's their camera or not). Greed, simple and plain is why Jimmy did it. I am sure if the footage had been better he WOULD have used it on the show and I doubt many of us would've known any different and sure wouldn't have thought any different of him now would we?

ALOT of this crap is just plain jealousy. Most in here haven't figured out how to earn a living doing anything other than punching a clock and "working for the man". So when someone can come along and successfully do it for decades, making a great living doing what we all love. Well then that is not much differentthan ***** envy now is guys?

Relax, drink a beer and really THINK about what has happened over all this. I for one grew up watching and looking up too Mr. Houston. Men like he, Bill Dance, Roland Martin and Ray Scott were my heroes (and STILL are!). I have been fortunate enough to meet all of them, except Mr. Scott over the years while they did promo work for my brothers sporting goods stores. They ALL have skeletons in their closet and I wouldn't care for anyone on here going through my own closet either!

Guys the man apologized, admitted he was wrong and is genuinely EMBRARASSED about the whole ordeal. That is the reason for such a silly reply by himself. What else is he supposed to do, pull out a gun and shoot himself in the head? For Christ's sakes remember, we are men and SO IS JIMMY HOUSTON!!!
RA
Old 02-12-2006, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

the only reason he is sorry is because he got caught doing something he shouldnt of been doing and i for one think he shouldnt of hid behind excuses and the apology letter was WEAK.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red - Ain't it the truth - Good Post. Makes good ole Horse Sense to me
Old 02-12-2006, 12:17 PM

I agree with Red. Haven't posted on the subject before, because it seemed like everyone forgot about the original "transgression" and focused on how well they could display their shock and disgust with JH. Turned into some kind of competition. He screwed up. When people called him on it, he apologized. Not good enough for some people with nothing more important in their lives than to howl about how offended they are. Get over it and move on. Also, go back and consider the source of this uproar. NWF, PETA, etc... Do you really think that they have the best interests of fair-chase hunting at heart? Not hardly. One of the best weapons in their quest for the destruction of our sport is dissention in our ranks. If a problem exists, do something constructive to fix it. Don't turn into a bunch of damned coyotes racing to devour our own.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

RedAliceson said

Most in here (where you talkin about red?) haven't figured out how to earn a living doing anything other than punching a clock and "working for the man"
I don't punch a clock or work for the man there red, so I'm not personally insulted by what you said. I just wonder how you can spew forth some of the degrading remarks towards fellow members here while defending ---
a man who is one of the most visible icons in the outdoor industry.
Jimmy has only been even remotely visible and I guarantee many hunters and 99.99% of all non-hunters would never recognize him anyway. Still though, Jimmy makes his own bed and knows that his "lifestyle" makes or breaks onviewer support. So, like any other businessman, if he makes some bad decisions, it may negatively affect his business. Rightfully so.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ALOT of this crap is just plain jealousy. Most in here haven't figured out how to earn a living doing anything other than punching a clock and "working for the man". So when someone can come along and successfully do it for decades, making a great living doing what we all love. Well then that is not much differentthan penis envy now is guys?
Bull.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

So we should assume since we all know Jimmy Houston so well that he is only sorry because he got caught.I would agree with that analogy for some folks.There are people out there that are truly sorry for the transgressions they commit AFTER they get caught. Young Kids and Adults go beyond the boundrys set forth by law or society 24/7/365.Most are truly sorry AFTER they get caught and learn form the mistake/transgression.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whether ol' jimmy is sorry or not is not relevant, since only he and his maker know the real answer to that. A person has to pay the consequences for their actions whether they're sorry or not. And, obviously, the consequences (bad publicity) for ol jimmy are still being paid and in my opinion, rightfully so. I guess the consequences will cease when the majority no longer care. Not yet though and who knows for how long. So be it.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

ALOT of this crap is just plain jealousy. Most in here haven't figured out how to earn a living doing anything other than punching a clock and "working for the man". So when someone can come along and successfully do it for decades, making a great living doing what we all love. Well then that is not much differentthan ***** envy now is guys?
Red let me make sure I understand this .... if I recall and please correct me if I am wrong ...butwasent it you that wanted to start legislation and get a law passedto keep hunters from displaying dead deer in public which is NOT illegalbut yet you want to supportsomeone like Ole Jimmy for killing a monster buck behind a high fence ..without hunting license...and as I understand it over bait ? What kind of logic is THAT..I meanI can just see a good ole boyriding through town with a buck he has worked for years to finally get on the hood of his truck and a Game Warden pulling him over to write him a ticket or take him tojail ..but then if a guy like Houston works 3 hrs to kill one like he did and you would give him a pat on the back and say hey buddyIf you will just say your sorry that you killed that monster buck the way you did it will all be ok ...I KNOW I must have misuderstood something in your post because for someone as adamant about something as trivial as a dead deer on the hood of a truck surly would go THROUGH theroof knowing someone was killing a buck like THIS with the intent of passing it off as a fair chase hunt ...Red PLEASE tell me I misunderstood your post ole buddy ...

dd
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 PM

DD my contention has NOT been one of support for what JH did. It was to bring up the point that I feel the backlash of this whole ordeal has gotten COMPLETELY out of hand and I feel alot of it is simply because folks like to read their own words on line. Without thinking about what they are doing too an otherwise great man. He obviously is sorry but for some that isn't enough. They want to see the man left pennyless in the street. I just don't think the punishment fits the crime in this case!

As for the, "he didn't squawk until he was called on it". Well excuse me, but would anyone in here admit such an embarrassing situation BEFORE it became public knowledge? If you say YES then you are a LIAR!!! I'm sure someone is gonna walk in the door and tell their wife that they just committed adultery? We just don't operate that way, we know when we screw up and we hope that no one finds out. Once they do THEN we begin the damage control. That is just life.

Hillybilly you are DEAD wrong about JH "...only being remotely visible..." He is one of THE biggest draws in the outdoor industry. Sure the hunting exposure is more of a novelty with him as he made his name and fortune in the fishing industry. But those two industries are nearly inseperable, especially the further south you travel in this country. I can promise you that you can take the BIGGEST name in hunting and feature him at the same show as JH and JH will outdraw him EVERYTIME. Next too Bill Dance there is just about no larger draw (among the "typical" fishermen in the public) in fishing than JH. So while he may not be about to replace Michael Waddel in the hunting industry, JH is still a BIIIIIG force in the overall outdoors business. What about Hank Parker? He didn't make his mark in hunting, but with the Co'mere Deer ads this season he has suddenly been getting more attention from deer hunters. What if Hank screws up and does one thing stupidly, does he deserve to have a 30 year fishing career thrown too the junk pile?

ALOT of stars from other sports enjoy hunting/shooting (Dale Earnhardt, Hank Jr., Don Johnson, many NASCAR stars and country music musicians) and obviously many companies in our industry want to court people who already have a "name" and bring exposure with them too the table. They make 1 poor decision and all of the sudden a few people want them swinging from a tree at high noon?

Also, alot of you guys are comparing JH too other hunting shows and outdoorsmen. Just don't be so sure that ALOT of what you see on TV goes on in places behind fences or in situations that aren't so "free and fair" as you are lead to believe. Filming and production schedules make high fence operations a VERY desirable proposition. JH just got caught up in the wrong situation and made a poor decision. He certainly hasn't made that his lifes pattern or history!
RA

Quick Reply: Ban Jimmy Houston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.