Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad hunting experiences

Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Bad hunting experiences

Now that hunting in ohio is over I sat here wandering what we could talk about. So I was just wandering what is some of your bad times you had while deer hunting? How an animal died or something that happend with friends that soured you for a while. My most tragic wasispine shot asmall buck above the shoulder paralized all legs but one front leg, bled real bad. So I thought I would just wait it out, the deer seamed calm just needed to let it bleed out. After about ten minutes the blood stoped and the deer seamed to be relaxing. Me being the big hunter I was thought I'll just get out of the tree and slit its throat. Mistake!! as soon as I got half way out of the tree the deer seen me and started grunting so loud it almost hurt my ears. Then it started that sreaming crap and spining on the one leg in circles. I had a hard time placing the shot as it spun on the ground but was able too. But when I shot the buck stoped spining and looked right at me in the eyes and the only thing I could think of was if he could get up I would be a dead man. I tossed my bow on the ground and went to the house to get the ATV and sat in the garage for about twenty minutes in complete disgust! I almost went out and dug a hole for the darn thing. But I came to and went and got him. Other than screaming bunnies that is my most tragic experience.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:04 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad hunting experiences

WHY DID YOU WAIT 10 MIN. YOU SHOULD OF DONE THE JOB RIGHT AWAY NOT WAIT. THE ANIMAL DESERVES T0 BE DISPATCH RIGHT AWAY. NOT WATCH. pISSED OF RICH
Old 02-01-2006, 10:23 PM

my worst was, not getting a deer 1 year, yet missing 2 deer on the first day. Plus it was the first year I hunted with that gun. Basically kills your confidence and brings you to just about one of the lowest points of hunting, IMO.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: RWK

WHY DID YOU WAIT 10 MIN. YOU SHOULD OF DONE THE JOB RIGHT AWAY NOT WAIT. THE ANIMAL DESERVES T0 BE DISPATCH RIGHT AWAY. NOT WATCH. pISSED OF RICH
Well RWK when the buck fell down it had most of its butt and back to me, so if i was to shoot again it probally would have not done much but make the matter worse and more pain for the deer. If i had a gun I would have shot him a second time in the head or neck but did not feel comfortable shooting at a moving neck with a bow. As I said at first it was bleeding real bad so I thought it would be over real quick but when I realized it stoped that is when I got down to end his suffering. Also It's not going to be a "Happy ending" thats why its the post is called "Bad hunting experiences" as for the pISSED OF RICH, dont know what to say, Sorry im not perfect!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

The over kill of does in areas
Old 02-02-2006, 01:06 PM

Don't worry about him hotburn. There's always someone on here who is not gonna agree with what you do or have done. They just like to pick fights, when often times they would have acted in the same way if they were in the same situation. The best thing you can do is ignore them and not fuel their fire.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:56 PM

I had a bad hunting experience once. long story short..

I was walking along this ridge when I spotted a small doe laying out in the open woods all alone. I thought to myself.. "heck.. why not use it for buck bait as the rut was in full swing".. I sat on that ridge roughly 200 yards from that doe for six straight hours looking at it through both the scope and bino's. The deer NEVER moved. It was almost freaky. I finally gave in and started down this steep cliff when the deer finally tried to get to it's feet. I now realize it was chased off of this cliff I was on and had 2 broken legs which is why it never moved for the6 or so hours I watched it. I couldn't bare to see it hobble off like that so I let one fly at it from my 35 whelen. It's suffering was over in an instant. I felt terrible because it was a very small doe and if there was a different way to help it I would have.

other than some scum bags stealing 3 of my treestands in one night that is all I have to offer...
Old 02-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah that's true. and then there's the people that point it out and fuel the fireJM bjr224. there's always going to be someone that has to be the "super ethical hunter" and go in and point out everything that wasnt perferct. if your not there, you dont know what happend, you cant do anything about it. he was trying to let it bleed out but the freaking thing went spastic. he couldnt help it! and he admited he felt bad about it. JMO
Old 02-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not sure if this qualifies but I posted this story a few months ago.....enjoy

The grossest hunting story-

The morning starts out like any other. I am one for routines. I wake up at 4:00am and roll out of bed and take a scent free shower. I get out of the shower and the dog is going bonkers so I let her out. While she’s out I make a pot of coffee. By the time the coffee is done the dog is ready to come in. I let the dog in, pour a cup of coffee, and sit down at the computer and check out huntingnet before I leave to go hunting for the morning. It’s the same thing EVERY morning.

The morning routine also consists of bodily functions. Just like clockwork after the 2nd cup of coffee I’m heading to the can for my morning crap J. After that I’m good to go. That’s my green light to head to the hunting lodge.

However, the other morning there was a kink in my ritual. Everything went like it usually does except the morning crap part. I was freaking out. NOTHING. I mean not even an inkling of needing to go. I was a little bothered by not needing to crap. All I can picture is getting into my stand and having to go. I delay my departure for 10 minutes hoping for some last minute magic. Nothing doing. I can’t wait anymore or I’ll be late to my stand.

Away I go and my routine carries on. I travel the same route to the hunting lodge. Same radio station. Stop at the same fields to take a glance etc…. All the while in the back of my mind I am deeply disturbed and now officially out of whack for the morning.

I get to the lodge and meet up with my hunting buddies. I try to ignore the fact that I haven’t been to the can yet. I get all my gear on and ready to go to the woods. I thought it wise to get a handful of toilet paper and put it in my pack. Again I’m prolonging my departure to walk to my stand hoping for some last minute movement. Nothing doing. Now I’m actually starting to put it out of my head and figuring everything is ok. I simply just didn’t need to crap this morning for whatever reason.

So I’m off to the woods. I have quite a little walk to get to my stand. I get halfway across the winter wheat field I have to walk across and I feel a strange little “gurgle”. Oh NO I think to myself. I stop dead in my tracks like a deer caught in headlights trying to figure it out. It rumbles again and I get a bad feeling. I gaze back at the walk back to the hunting lodge and try to decide if I should make a dash for it. It’s getting closer to light than I want it to and I don’t want to be late to my stand so I try to psych myself out and ignore it. I walk about 10 more steps and it’s like a volcano getting ready to erupt. I know at this point I’m doomed.

It’s no longer a gurgle or rumble, it’s coming full force now and there is no escaping. I frantically look back at the way I came and then ahead to the edge of the woods as I’m still standing in the middle of an open field. OH man I’m in trouble. There’s no ignoring it anymore.

I start making a mad dash to the edge of the woods. It was a cold morning and I have a lot of gear to shed. My hand warmer (muff) goes flying off. I drop my bow to the ground. I undo my release and wing that. My armguard goes flying. I unbuckle my fanny pack and chuck that someplace. I shed my coat. I’m just about falling over trying to unbuckle my bibs and pull them down. I’m in a marathon dash for my life to get to the woods. I feel like Finch in the movie American Pie when Stifler put Ex-Lax in his drink and he had to go to the bathroom in school. I now have a 50 yard trail of gear through a winter wheat field. I finally get to the edge of the woods and barely get my pants down (I mean BARELY).

WHEW!!! Out it comes. I finally took my morning crap. It’s about 25 degrees out and the wind is blowing pretty hard. I’m half naked and freezing my butt off. One minor problem…. I threw my pack someplace in my scramble and it’s still dark out. The pack that had the toilet paper that is. So I crawl around with my pants down to my ankles trying to find it. Finally find it and do what I have to do. Now I need to pick up the rest of my junk. That takes me quite awhile and it’s now getting light out.

Well I don’t quite know what to make of this morning of mine. I say to myself that’s done and over with and get a little chuckle out of it. I get all my stuff back in order and ready to hunt.

Off to my stand I go. I finally make it to the tree and get all situated. I’m sitting for about 10 minutes after first light and through the woods about 100 yards away I see a buck!! Not too bad of a buck either. He looks like he is veering away from me though. So scramble for my grunt call. I grab it out of the front pocket of my bibs and blow into it. The buck stops!! Wait a minute though what the heck was that?

Well…………….. I unfortunately got a taste of my morning crap. Somehow my grunt call got tangled up in my bibs in such a fashion that I crapped all over it. The thing was smeared in crap!!! I put my clothes back on and never noticed that I crapped all over part of my bibs. I guess in the haste I didn’t quite get them out of the way. I just about threw up. I was gagging for about 20 minutes. The buck must have decided he didn’t like my dry heaving motion and noise. I decided I’d had enough of that morning and headed back to practice some much needed oral hygiene. I don’t want to get into too much detail, but let’s just say there was “ample” amount of crap on my grunt call. Something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. That was truly disgusting.

I got back to hunting camp and felt obligated to tell the crew about the happenings. I’ve never seen grown men laugh so hard in all my life.

What acrappy experience.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

NYBowhunter,

That story takes the cake. That is funny. I just might call the wife and kids into the room and have them read it.......... I'm still laughing!.....Good one.

Quick Reply: Bad hunting experiences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.