Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drawing the Line III

Old 02-05-2006, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

ORIGINAL: deerdust

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS
Does it take a high fence to produce mature Whitetails?NO.
Gus, You are correct. It does not take ahigh fence, it takes proper deer management to produce superior mature whitetail bucks.This can be anything from: making good foodplots to supplementing their natural food source, putting out good mineral licks (not salt licks), taking out young cull bucks and old does, and keeping your buck to doe ratio at a good level.
Ahhhhhhyou forgot to mentionenough land to be able topractice these methods ... what if you have permission to only hunt 1 to 200 acres ...and 50% of that is pasture ..then what?

dd
Old 02-05-2006, 05:51 AM
Site Buck Guru

Ahhhhhhyou forgot to mentionenough land to be able topractice these methods ... what if you have permission to only hunt 1 to 200 acres ...and 50% of that is pasture ..then what?

dd

I guess when it comes to this I would still practice QDM and hope for the best. If a young buck comes by I'd let him walk. Chances are that a neighbor will shoot him but the young buck will make the neighbor happier than it will me.
Several times I have let 2 1/2 year old bucks go and shot them the next year. What a difference a year can make on a bucks developement. Sometimes(a lot) when I let bucks walk, I never see them again. Thats the way it goes. I don't shoot deer because if I don't someone else will. I shoot deer that make me happy. If I go a year without, oh well.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:02 AM

I know someone who sells wild hunts and fenced hunts. The price of the high fenced hunt is alot more than the wild hunts. He has hunters calling every day, most of them say there is no way that they would hunt in a high fenced area. They give him a million reasons why they would'nt do it. Just to see what they would say, he tells them he would let them hunt in the preserve (high fenced area) for the same price as the wild hunts and 99% of them change their tune and say coolI'll hunt behind the fence. I think thats kind of funny.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Greg I think your right ... I think I will let those young'ins walk next year ..but I doubt it helps but I suppose I should try and do my part.

dd
Old 02-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess when it comes to this I would still practice QDM and hope for the best. If a young buck comes by I'd let him walk. Chances are that a neighbor will shoot him but the young buck will make the neighbor happier than it will me.
Several times I have let 2 1/2 year old bucks go and shot them the next year. What a difference a year can make on a bucks developement. Sometimes(a lot) when I let bucks walk, I never see them again. Thats the way it goes. I don't shoot deer because if I don't someone else will. I shoot deer that make me happy. If I go a year without, oh well.
very well said greg......... my thoughts exactly. It always amazes me the difference a year makes in a buck too. I let the neighborsshoot the dinks and if I eat bucktag soup...... so be it.

And always remember. The high fences are built to keep animals out and not in!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Greg I think your right ... I think I will let those young'ins walk next year ..but I doubt it helps but I suppose I should try and do my part.

dd
It's tough to do, but I think that 2% sucess is better than 100% failure!

There are so many variables when it comes to QDM. Type of land, size of land, location of the land, who owns the land....

My goal is to purchase 160+ acres and become DEER MAN. Instead of coddeling their dung and talking S*&T like GRIZZLY MAN, I'll nurture them and protect them all the way until they're on my dinner table!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Gus I may be talking out of my ear but I think a lot of the appeal for these types of hunts are with professionals such as Doctors, Attorney's and such that do not have a lot of time to get out but have a lot of money and want to hang something on their wall

You are probably right with that assessment Doc in regards to the people who actually use these types of facilities, but IMO this is what is wrong with the entire thing. If these folks were really true hunters they could make time to get out in the woods, heck, the Dr's and Attorney's should have plenty of money to buy there own land. I would also think they would have more time than the working man. Many of my close friends are coal miners and they work 6 days a week............sometimes 7. I can't imagine themgoing to a high fence hunt/shoot. I think it's basic.It takes a certain type of personality. Someone who wants what other cannot have........unless they too have the means and the money.
I'm a little curious as to how you came by the opinion that the medical and legal professions are part time jobs. I've been an attorney for 20+ years, and I have had months where I worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. And, if you're in a big firm, you really need to average 50 billable hours per week if you ever want to make partner. You might get two weeks vacation per year (I've never taken more than a three day weekend), but, you still have to average 50 billable hours per week, so the hours have to be made up elsewhere.

I've hunted both types of operations. My first deer hunt was in 1997 on a high fenced 400+ acre ranch. I'm now hunting a 2000+ acre low fenced ranch. The deer didn't behave differently on the high fenced ranch than they do on the low fenced one. They weren't tied to a tree or bottle fed or anything like that on the high fenced ranch. The ONLY difference I note between the two is that the deer on the high fenced operation had a larger percentage of older deer. The low fenced ranch, being surrounded by ranches having an "if it's brown, it's down" management policy, has a far lower percentage of mature deer. Other than that, both are essentially the same. Blinds are set up near high traffic areas, you sit and wait for something to wander by. You shoot if it meets your management goals.

This one is from the high fenced ranch:

Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's one I got on the low fenced ranch:

Old 02-06-2006, 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

OK, this one IS NOT about weapons, baiting, pods, drives, etc.!
This IS ONLY about FENCES!
It seems that MOST of us agree, that at least at some point, fences become UN-SPORTING, to say the least!
I don't hunt "high fences" but, I know that it is becoming big business,and at least SOME of these operations are good for "hunting," because it does allow more people to enjoy the sport! EVEN, if itis NOT WHAT WE DEFINE AS "HUNTING!"
I for one, think that THERE IS a difference between 1000's of acres under fence, and a "feed pen!
So, at what point does it really become not "HUNTING?"

Another thought to ponder is this: Whether its 1000's of acres, or a "knock-em in the head pen,"IT IS going to be legal in many places.
Even if we say "itsNOT "HUNTING," the sign on thegates are going to say "HUNTING Ranch!"
IF it said "BUTCHER SHOP" would it make us "hunters" feel better?
After all, we are not vegeterians! We are gonna kill it! Easy or hard!
Like DD said,When they try to pass it off on the people as a real deal in the wild.The 1000 acre fencedin can go either way.To help the deer grow or make money.The population of hunters are growing.They changed the rules to let the deer grow bigger racks with the no shoot 4 ,6 points.This came from boredom on the weekends and showed from tv how easy it is to bag a big buck.Hell,I can do this,a doe tag.yea give me one of them to.Their is some legitmate fenced hunts and then there are the ones who use tv as a profit.I am a real hunter myself.I study the deer from when i am out small game hunting.We usually get atleast 2 of the bucks that we scout during squirrel season.We know where they come from and go.This is in rifle season we still get them.Archery would be to easy and end the season early.Does this answer your question when it doesn't become hunting?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:27 PM

[/quote] I'm a little curious as to how you came by the opinion that the medical and legal professions are part time jobs. I've been an attorney for 20+ years, and I have had months where I worked 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. And, if you're in a big firm, you really need to average 50 billable hours per week if you ever want to make partner. You might get two weeks vacation per year (I've never taken more than a three day weekend), but, you still have to average 50 billable hours per week, so the hours have to be made up elsewhere.

I've hunted both types of operations. My first deer hunt was in 1997 on a high fenced 400+ acre ranch. I'm now hunting a 2000+ acre low fenced ranch. The deer didn't behave differently on the high fenced ranch than they do on the low fenced one. They weren't tied to a tree or bottle fed or anything like that on the high fenced ranch. The ONLY difference I note between the two is that the deer on the high fenced operation had a larger percentage of older deer. The low fenced ranch, being surrounded by ranches having an "if it's brown, it's down" management policy, has a far lower percentage of mature deer. Other than that, both are essentially the same. Blinds are set up near high traffic areas, you sit and wait for something to wander by. You shoot if it meets your management goals.

[/quote]

I know everyone has there own opinion and "To each his own", and I respect that. But come on, what you consider "hunting" is nothing more than target practice. "Blinds are set up" "Just sit and wait for deer to wander by" Ha! You are clueless to as to what its like to acually "hunt" for your deer, and not just shoot one. Why don't you ask Jimmy H if he needs a hunting partner?

Quick Reply: Drawing the Line III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.