Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drawing the Line III

Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

B&C, and P&Y do not recognize high fence trophies! So the record books are safe!

Sure they are!LOL.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Charlie P- Remember that high fences are put up to keep animals out and not to keep the deer in LMAO> Someone was seriously arguing that point with me last time I got in a high fence debate.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Charlie P- Remember that high fences are put up to keep animals out and not to keep the deer in LMAO> Someone was seriously arguing that point with me last time I got in a high fence debate.
NY I bet I know WHO WON LOL

dd
Old 02-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually he was even more pigheaded than me lol. Apparantely he never understood that I am never wrong [:-][8D] I really got a kick out of that concept though. I had quite a bit of fun with it. Maybe even a sarcastic comment or two.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually he was even more pigheaded than me lol. Apparantely he never understood that I am never wrong [:-][8D] I really got a kick out of that concept though. I had quite a bit of fun with it. Maybe even a sarcastic comment or two.
LOL NY ..if you ever need references justtell them to contact on DD

dd
Old 02-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS
I really don't get it. It's OK to kill a deer under a high fence, but it's not Ok to shoot a 1.5 year old 4 point? It just seems like the size of the horns is the most important part of the hunt with a lot of people which has created these types of markets and venues.
The other thing that has created this type of market and venues is this type of thinking, which translates into poor deer management. The "If It's Brown It's Down" theory is what leads many states to only have bucks that are 1.5 yr old 4 pts.. If it's meat you want, isn't that doe a better tasting choice to put on your families dinner table?

Apparantely he never understood that I am never wrong [:-][8D]
NYBH, for shame, I'm just sure you have been wrong before...LMAO [:-]
But not me, noooo way..[8D]
Old 02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The other thing that has created this type of market and venues is this type of thinking, which translates into poor deer management. The "If It's Brown It's Down" theory is what leads many states to only have bucks that are 1.5 yr old 4 pts.. If it's meat you want, isn't that doe a better tasting choice to put on your families dinner table?
Does it take a high fence to produce mature Whitetails?NO.

My point was the infactuation with the Monster bucks. Hunting (for some) is no longer about killing what makes you happy or gets you excited. There seems to be alot of folks that think you should only shoot a "mature" buck or just shoot does......."for the betterment of the herd"

Basically you are stating that because not enough people choose to shoot only mature bucks, these types of venues are a necessity? Is a mature buck that important? I guss I just don't get it. I hunt for what makes me happy. Sometimes I shoot young buck, sometimes I hold off and wait. SometimesI take what I get, but I do not manufacture it, buy putting up high fences or enhancing the Bucks potential with supplements. I rather kill a regular 1.5 year old 4 point than resort to these means.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS
Does it take a high fence to produce mature Whitetails?NO.
Gus, You are correct. It does not take ahigh fence, it takes proper deer management to produce superior mature whitetail bucks.This can be anything from: making good foodplots to supplementing their natural food source, putting out good mineral licks (not salt licks), taking out young cull bucks and old does, and keeping your buck to doe ratio at a good level.

My point was the infactuation with the Monster bucks. Hunting (for some) is no longer about killing what makes you happy or gets you excited. There seems to be alot of folks that think you should only shoot a "mature" buck or just shoot does......."for the betterment of the herd"
Gus, I get excited with every deer I see come under my stand. Most folks out to shoot a buck, are looking for that monster buck (rack). When the area that some folks hunt has been poorly managed and there are only small racked bucks left to see, then yes, they are going to get excited about shooting small bucks. Or young hunters, new to hunting are generally excited about shooting any buck they can, large or small racked. Most folks looking to put meat on the table, will shoot a doe or young cull buck. Rather than take any young buck, which may be a potential breeder for the future of the herd. An over abundance of either sex is not good for the herd, so there may be times when it is necessary to take out some of the smaller bucks as well.
Basically you are stating that because not enough people choose to shoot only mature bucks, these types of venues are a necessity? Is a mature buck that important? I guss I just don't get it. I hunt for what makes me happy. Sometimes I shoot young buck, sometimes I hold off and wait. SometimesI take what I get, but I do not manufacture it, buy putting up high fences or enhancing the Bucks potential with supplements. I rather kill a regular 1.5 year old 4 point than resort to these means.
In some instances, yes this is true. The main purpose of the fence is to contain the animals within the ranches property lines. Most of these ranches have purchased or raised their "livestock"to be superior to what may be on the neighbors property. This also allows them to know what is there for their hunters to hunt. Feeding them at various locations throughout the property brings them to areas set-up for hunting/shooting, which is the purpose of the ranch.
To most folks, yes a mature racked buck is that important. Unless they are culling, that is why they are hunting a buck. Hence, the reason for hunting a fenced operation. They can get the mature racked buck to their liking. As I stated before, many folks may not have the physical ability to get to some locations that others hunt. Others may not have the time to put in scouting, hanging stands, and all the fun stuff many folks enjoy about doing it all yourself. Others want to make the shot and hang it on the wall, without having to do all the messy inbetweens.
Enjoying being on the hunt is what it is all about for me. I just love being in the woods, seeing or shooting deer is the bonus. By all means, do what makes you happy. I am not trying to tell you how to hunt. I am just trying to explain to you about why some areas are poorly managed. And that, although you and many other folks may not agree with or ever hunt a highfence operation, it is a legal way of hunting and serves a purpose to those that need the service.
Gus, supplementing their natural feed with foodplots or minerals is not a bad thing. It is the same as taking vitamins for yourself if you do not get what you need in your normal diet.
I have one question for you. I am curiousas to your age. It has no relevance as to anything I have told you, I am just curious, I have been away from the boards since spring and need to do some catch-up.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I draw my line pretty simple. I hunt only free ranging animals period! My definition of free ranging doesn't change with the amount of land behind the fence.

Main Entry: 1free
Pronunciation: 'frE
Function: adjective

3 a : relieved from or lacking something unpleasant or burdensome <free from pain> <a speech free of political rhetoric> b : not bound, confined, or detained by force
7 a (1) : not obstructed or impeded : CLEAR (2) : not being used or occupied <waved with his free hand> b : not hampered or restricted in its normal operation
8 a : not fastened <the free end of the rope> b : not confined to a particular position or place; also : not having a specific opponent to cover in football <a free safety> c : capable of moving or turning in any direction <a free particle> FREESTANDING <a free column> b : chemically uncombined <free oxygen> <free acids> c : not permanently attached but able to move about <a free electron in a metal> d : capable of being used alone as a meaningful linguistic form <the word hats is a free form> -- compare 5BOUND 7
12 a : not literal or exact <free translation> b : not restricted by or conforming to conventional forms <free skating>
14 : not allowing slavery
15 : open to all comers
- free·ness /-n&s/ noun
- for free : without charge
synonyms FREE, INDEPENDENT, SOVEREIGN, AUTONOMOUS mean not subject to the rule or control of another. FREE stresses the complete absence of external rule and the full right to make all of one's own decisions <you're free to do as you like>.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:25 PM

One of the ranches I hunt is 12,000 acres. It was high fenced almost entirely because of the surrounding properties. The west fence line is made up of several 100-150 acre tracts of land, and the north fence line is made up of many 10-50 acre tracts. The back side of the ranch is bordered by a 10,000 acre ranch that was already high fenced.

I associate these 10-100 acre tracts of land to ticks on a dog, with the 12,000 ranch being the dog. Its better to just high fence the ranch, taking them completly out of the picture. We have better things to do then sit around worrying about our 10 acre neighbors all the time..........

Quick Reply: Drawing the Line III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.