Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drawing the Line III

Old 02-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drawing the Line III

I suspect that a lot of the animosity toward fences is driven by sour grapes. Maybe you are upset because some guy was able to harvest a mature buck behind a fence, that you couldn't harvest when it was 1 1/2 because you were on the wrong side of the fence. Maybe you are upset because you had to hunt a high-pressure, overhunted, public land and didn't even see a doe, much less a mature buck. So, instead of congratulating him on harvesting a nice buck, you mutter a few epithets his way. You tell him he's not a "real" hunter like you are, and all he did was shoot someone's pet. And, in so doing, you are alienating a fellow hunter. Someone who likely makes a pretty good living so that he could afford to hunt private land. Someone who may be politically connected and able to actually accomplish things that help the rest of us. Someone who might be reasonably well-educated and might help break the "inbred, toothless, beer swilling redneck" stereotype with which hunters are saddled in much of the main stream media.
WOW. It's clear now. We should bow down to these masters of the hunting world because the may have some clout?Gimme a break!

Nah, I'd rather hold myself to a higher standard. Do what makes you happy, but don't try and sell me a $hit biscuit and tell me it tastes like chicken. I'll pass.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That depends on the type of hunting. If your method is to locate a high traffic area, set up a blind and wait to see what shows up, how is it relevant? Escaping is simply the ability to disappear into the nearest thicket, and for what it apparently isn't worth here, the high fenced ranch I hunted on ten years ago was much more heavily wooded than the low fenced property I hunt now. Maybe your definition of escape means to neighboring property where there's no management plan in place, so you can get a shot at every 1 1/2 year old buck that walks by.
How does what happens on the neighbors property have anything to do with it? I hunt alot of farms in MD that are surrounded by areas with no mangement plan in place, where every 1 1/2 yr old buck gets shot, yet I continue to see mature bucks, without the need to artificially increase my chances by putting a fence around them.

How do you define wild? If someone fences 500, or 5000, or 500,000, or 5,000,000 acres, are the deer there no longer wild by definition?
So by your definition a deer in a 500 acre pen is wild? What about 5000? My definition is when you put an animal in a pen it is no longer wild.

How do you guys feel about red stag hunting in New Zealand? It's a non-indigenous species, surrounded by a God-made fence, with no ability to escape other than by swimming the Pacific Ocean. Is that OK simply because the fence isn't man-made?
The Pacific ocean is not a fence. Nor is the Atlantic. Doyou believe that having a species isolated to a continent is the same as hunting them behind a fence?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:53 PM

If it's legal it's legal..however there is a lot of room for degree of accomplishment..(bragin rights) from killing a legal deer in a legal pen..(no matter if it's a one acre or 10,000 acre pen) that is nutritionally manipulated, that is able to roam, unmolested until "harvest" time. Than it is to killing a legal, wild, free roaming, hard hunted, open to everyone, all natural fed buck, that is shot at every time he steps into view of a hunter after he is one yr. old.
Sure you can build a buck with a massive rack..with the right feed, vitamins, left to age..but what's the accomplishment..might as well be growing big heads of lettuce for the farmer's market.
That's why I'm not in the least bet jealous or interested in seeing pictures of monster bucks of this type...might as well be looking at a prize tomato. They are already cloning bucks in Texas....where is the end to all of this manipulation?
Old 02-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I suspect that a lot of the animosity toward fences is driven by sour grapes. Maybe you are upset because some guy was able to harvest a mature buck behind a fence, that you couldn't harvest when it was 1 1/2 because you were on the wrong side of the fence. Maybe you are upset because you had to hunt a high-pressure, overhunted, public land and didn't even see a doe, much less a mature buck. So, instead of congratulating him on harvesting a nice buck, you mutter a few epithets his way. You tell him he's not a "real" hunter like you are, and all he did was shoot someone's pet. And, in so doing, you are alienating a fellow hunter. Someone who likely makes a pretty good living so that he could afford to hunt private land. Someone who may be politically connected and able to actually accomplish things that help the rest of us. Someone who might be reasonably well-educated and might help break the "inbred, toothless, beer swilling redneck" stereotype with which hunters are saddled in much of the main stream media.
WOW. It's clear now. We should bow down to these masters of the hunting world because the may have some clout?Gimme a break!

Nah, I'd rather hold myself to a higher standard. Do what makes you happy, but don't try and sell me a $hit biscuit and tell me it tastes like chicken. I'll pass.
I never said anything about bowing down to anyone. All I said was don't equate all high fenced hunting with shooting a drugged deer in a 3 acre pen. Don't go out of your way to alienate others who also enjoy hunting, whether it meets your personal definition or not. The more we fight among ourselves, the easier it is to defeat us collectively.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:54 PM

The high fence issue. The way you see things depends on which side of the fence you get to hunt on. Just like in England, itsa class thing. Other times its because of the way the hunter was raised and what he has experienced in life, or lack of experience.......

Personally I wish every larger ranch in south Texas was high fenced, it would make it better for all involved.........
Old 02-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

jpscshooter, I suspect you are probably right regarding a few sour grapes. It is easy to criticize somebody else when you're not walking in their shoes.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

How do you define wild?
an animal that is not in an enclosure.

Maybe you are upset because some guy was able to harvest a mature buck behind a fence, that you couldn't harvest when it was 1 1/2 because you were on the wrong side of the fence.
wrong side of the fence? I think you should rethink what is the right or wrong side of the fence chief.

And, in so doing, you are alienating a fellow hunter.
He would have to be a hunter in order to do that.

Someone who likely makes a pretty good living so that he could afford to hunt private land. Someone who may be politically connected and able to actually accomplish things that help the rest of us. Someone who might be reasonably well-educated and might help break the "inbred, toothless, beer swilling redneck" stereotype with which hunters are saddled in much of the main stream media.
We are all bowing to you. You really need to get over yourself dude. You pay to shoot deer in a petting zoo...........period! Sugarcoat it however you want.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow.I'm full of myself? Straight from Mr. Holier Than Thou himself. I've been insulted by aNew Yorker. I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

I'll be happy to rethink the fence issue, but you're not likely toapprove ofthe answer. I think people ought to be able to put a fence around their property if they want to. It's capitalism at work.I don'tcondoneshooting drugged deer in a 3 acre pen like on those videos in the Jimmy Houston thread, but if the land is big enough to support a genetically diverse herd, I don't seethe problem. There are high fence ranches in Texas that are so big that deer can live their whole lives without ever coming withinsight of the fence. But you're right. Regardless of the size of the property, those are just pets. No way they could be wild, even though they have no idea they are enclosed and they behave exactly the same way as if there had been no enclosure.

I wasn't looking for anyone to bow to me, although I guess you're welcome to if you feel you must. In the paragraph you're referring to, I wasn't talking about myself. I can't afford to hunt high fence. Tough enough paying for the low fence lease I hunt.

I've never paid to shoot deer in a petting zoo. I've been to petting zoos before and have seen how the animals behave. I've been ona high fenced property and have seen how the deer behaved. I've been on low fenced property and have seen how the deer behave. My personal observation of the deer was that there wasn't any behavioral difference between the two types of property. Thereis, of course,a clear difference in the behavior of the animals at the petting zoo. Apparently, you've never been on a high fenced ranch. If you have no experience other than some videos on the internet, you're welcome to your opinion, but it's about as valid as if I were to say,based upon your post above and my observations of Hillary Clinton in the media, that allNew Yorkers are pompous, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, know-it-alls. But, that would be an unfair generalization. Certainly, there are some New Yorkers who fit that description, just as there are some high fence operations that condone unethical practices, as in the Jimmy Houston videos. But, there are others that don't fit those descriptions.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Idon'tcondoneshooting drugged deer in a 3 acre pen like on those videos in the Jimmy Houston thread, but if the land is big enough to support a genetically diverse herd, I don't seethe problem. There are high fence ranches in Texas that are so big that deer can live their whole lives without ever coming withinsight of the fence

Why is therea need for the fence then?

The more we fight among ourselves, the easier it is to defeat us collectively.
I look at it differently. The more we as hunters allow and accept high fence operations, the easier it is for the anti's to lump us together. Hunting and high fence shooting are not the same thing. Period.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are high fence ranches in Texas that are so big that deer can live their whole lives without ever coming withinsight of the fence. But you're right. Regardless of the size of the property, those are just pets. No way they could be wild, even though they have no idea they are enclosed and they behave exactly the same way as if there had been no enclosure.
What's the need for the fence then?

Straight from Mr. Holier Than Thou himself. I've been insulted by aNew Yorker. I guess I'll take that as a compliment.
It wasn't meant as one.
allNew Yorkers are pompous, self-righteous, holier-than-thou, know-it-alls.
You're just full of stereotypes aren't you. Southerners are toothless hillbillies. Norherners are pompous, self righteous, holier than thou, know it alls. Where do you fit into the grand scheme in your perfect little world?

Apparently, you've never been on a high fenced ranch
Apparently not. Don't hold your breath. I like to earn my harvest.

Quick Reply: Drawing the Line III

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.