Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you draw the line??

Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Where do you draw the line??

Not trying to start a urinating contest just wondered where people draw the line?

I lease land, but from what I've seen a guided hunt wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Instead of being a "trophy hunter" I'm starting to look for the trophy in the experience. I'm really thinking about picking up a recurve to add more of a challenge to my hunting. I still hunt with a shotgun,but it's kind of a let down when gun season starts now.

For me it's getting to be I'd rather shoot an average deer,then a large rack buck that's made not grown. By that I mean, all the antler supplements,supplemental feeding, food plots etc aren't for me.

I use a tree stand, but I'm really leaning away from all the high tech things that are coming into our sport.

I feel were turning the corner to instant gratification in hunting and I personally think I'm going to go the other way.When it becomes common place to see and kill 140 class deer what will be next?

Disclaimer: This is how I feel. It's not how what I think everyone should do.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:00 AM

Default RE: Where do you draw the line??

I draw the line in having somebody raise me a deer to shoot. I would never do that and would even be reluctant to go on a guided hunt. To me it wouldn't be exciting. Most peoplecan follow a guide around, sit in the tree he tells you to, and pull the trigger. I would sooner shot an average buck through my work or with with help from friends.

I use treestands, a crossbow, game camera, scents on occasion, baits, and other thing but that is because deer here are few and what is here is smart. If I hunted in an area where I could shoot 15 in a season just by sitting in a decent spot in the bush when I got time. That would push me to try for more challenging things.

[/align]
Old 01-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone has different tastes and desires. That is what makes life in a free country enjoyable. I wouldn't want to push my tastes on anyone. That said, I personally feel the obsession with racks to be absurd and a philosophical mistake. Speaking for myself, the quality of my hunting experience is not related to the size rack of the beast I kill. I am as happy taking a doe as a buck, probably happier because typically the meat of the does is better. In my short big game hunting experience I have taken one pronghorn doe (no pronghorn bucks), three whitetail does, and two whitetail bucks. The desired result of a hunt for me is to obtain good meat for my gourmet feasts, and good quality game meat satisfies that objective very well. I also want an enjoyable hunt, which for me has particular elements to it. I want to feel like I have solved the "hunting problem" myself, designed a hunting approach or method on my own. Thus, I'm not attracted to a guided hunt because the guide would be solving the hunting problem, I would just be the final instrumentality of his hunt. I prefer to hunt from the ground, from impromptu ambushes -- at least for whitetails. I like to use different ambush spots rather than reuse old, tried and true locations. I like hunting with rifles and have no interest in bow hunting or muzzle loader hunting. I acknowledge these are a bigger challenge to the hunter, but that just doesn't attract me. I feel a romance for high power centerfire rifles with a scope, and thisfeeling for such rifles is part of the fun of hunting, preferably rifles with beautiful walnut stocks and glossy blued metal.

I prefer to hunt in a unit with a high probability of drawing, even though non-trophy animals are expected, rather than submiting for a draw in a limited entry area many years before being drawn. That isn't hunting, that is hunting 1/3 the time or 1/10 the time. Because the size of the rack doesn't correlate to the quality of my hunt, this works well for me.

When did the size of the rack become the principle objective of hunting or even one of the main objectives of hunting? I think it is partly caused by the commercialization of hunting. Think about it. What better way to persuade people to spend a whole bunch of money on hunting equipment than to realign their hunting values so the size of the rack was the all-important parameter? Isn't it worth spending $1,600 on your binculars rather than $300 on your binoculars if it improves your odds of taking that B&C buck by 1%??? Now, if any old buck or doe will do, I submit that you can go afield and succeed with your grandpa's .30-30, blue jeans and a flannel shirt, and a buck knife 110, and you can hunt on some good ol' boy's property that you know from high school. But if you have to have a big rack, well now you need to be getting a tag in a hot region, and the outfitters have the leases secured on these places, and you will have to pay those outfitters top dollar to hunt with them. At least this seems plausible to me.

Its a free country. Everyone can hunt they way they want to. I agree, to me it is the hunting experience that counts and not the size of the rack.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

"personal gratification" I think is the key to what you said. I think in a lot of ways things have become easy and will continue to get easier in the hunting world. I'm with you 100% and pressing the pause button and if anything heading the other way. It's easy to get caught up in the technology and opportunities that are provided to make it "easier".

For me having someone scout the deer out for me, set up a shooting hut, drive me out to that shooting hut, point their finger, shoot a deer with my high powered rifle that can shoot 300 yards seems a bit.............. well ...... not like hunting. For others maybe that's what they're into....... so be it. To each their own. Goes back to personal gratification. For me, I'd get more gratification hunting and killing a spike with my bow.

Where do you draw the line is a good question. Treestands, tinks, grunt tubes, camo, 80% letoff bows, compound or recurve, release or fingers, scopes, rifles, etc...... its' endless. Personal preference and how much you want to take advantage of all the gadgets and still feel like you're "hunting".

I give myself enough equipment and technology available to succeed in my expectations with my hunting ability. Hopefully someday I'll be out there with a spear and loin cloth.[:-]
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hopefully someday I'll be out there with a spear and loin cloth.
There's a visual I could do with out.

I was on another site when a guy that's a sponser here stated, I pass on 200 in grossing deer, when people got on him about it, others retorted your just jealous.

Jealous of what? Putting up on a fence and not letting anyone but myself shoot a particular buck isn't my idea of hunting.

Is this where we are headed?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Dominant Buck

For me having someone scout the deer out for me, set up a shooting hut, drive me out to that shooting hut, point their finger, shoot a deer with my high powered rifle that can shoot 300 yards seems a bit.............. well ...... not like hunting.

Well said!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would only say "to thine own self be true"who am I to draw the line for someone else if its legal ... if you want to hunt deer with a rifle ..shotgun ...bow ...or blowgun if that is what makes your boat float go for it !

dd
Old 01-31-2006, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's not the topic or the question asked.lol

Where do you draw the line??
Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have always thoughtthe truest sign of a sportsman ,was what they give back.I am not saying we need more hunters we need a better class of hunters.We need people that are dedicated to the future of hunting.And hunters buying hunting land is the only thing that will make hunting in the future possible.
We have a group of people that think a new Switchback will enable them to hunt next year.Investing in land is not even a thought.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

For me, it's just being able to get outdoors! Scouting, hunting, camping, processing,the whole nine yards of it! I know that I don't, and won't ever spend the money that many people spend on trophy hunts, but I do accept that this is just a part of today's society!
As I have said many times, I support legal hunting! If someone chooses to spend big money on a guided hunt, or high fence, thats fine by me! I don't consider them to be "canned hunts," unless its a really small piece of property! Some people don't realize that many of these, "ranches" are 30-50 thousand acres! Those are not exactly feed lots! As I said, that type of hunting is just not for me, but it is for some people!
I really like watching wildlife, and Whitetail deer in particular!
Its the animals themselves that impress me!
Most deer we see in magazines, or on TV, are of the expensive type! I still love the animals though!
I've come to the conclusion that for me, a "trophy" is a better than average buck for the area hunted! For some, it may even be a freezer full of meat!
Some of us are blessed with areas with plenty of deer, some are blessed with big deer, that can rival big, "raised" deer!
Some are blessed with the money, and/or opportunity to hunt where they wish!
Maybe, it would be best if we just count allthese blessings, and enjoy legal hunting, instead of getting too side tracked on what the "others" are doing!
Again, to me, a "better than average" buck for my area is a trophy, and just getting out in nature is a real trophy!

Quick Reply: Where do you draw the line??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.