Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you draw the line??

Old 01-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Where do you draw the line??

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I don't get is everybody saying they don't care about antlers. BS,
It's the ones that are raised like cattle that I don't care about.One that are accustmed to a human's.

I will admit this, killing a deer off the ground with my bow, would mean more to me then killing a large racked deer from a distance with a gun that I didn't know was around.

Being able to spot and stalk a large racked buck and kill it with my bow. Or patterning a big buck and killing it. Just the thought of it gives me goose bumps.
This is what I meant about the animals being 100% wild and free roaming. I only shot pen raised pheasants when I was training my puppy. Otherwise I don't shoot game farm animals.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg I have to agree with most everything you said ..I think its a goal that most of us set and are measured by in this sport...Ive seen your pics of the bucks you have posted and gained a lot of respect for you as a hunter... but I can tell you a 150lb deer here is like a 200lb deer from where your from ...

dd
Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 PM

saw a hunt on t.v. the guide told his hunter ,put your rifle where you can cover the two tree's on your side the, deer will come out around 4;00 pm. The hunter waits ,them bang he told the guide your 5 min. late .That is not hunting in book ,I would rather do for myself.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Greg I have to agree with most everything you said ..I think its a goal that most of us set and are measured by in this sport...Ive seen your pics of the bucks you have posted and gained a lot of respect for you as a hunter... but I can tell you a 150lb deer here is like a 200lb deer from where your from ...

dd
That's the kind of s*#t I'm confused about. I thought deer were smaller the closer they live to the equator ( Bergmanns rule or something like that ) , then I see pics and articles from Texas, Georgia or some other place down south that is supposedly 200 pounds or so. Are these imported deer?
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 PM

I like to hunt open public land..by open public land I mean public land that is open to anyone with hunting license and is open the whole season. No baiting, no food plots, no dogs no antler restrictions..5" on one side and he's a shooter for just about everybody that sees him.I hunt this type land because it's the most pressured and most challenging to hunt and the deer are as wild as they get. When I get lucky and kill a trophy buck there is a sense of accomplishment I can't get hunting anywhere else and it's nice knowing no-one can belittle your accomplishment. You didn't shoot over bait, in a food plot, it wasn't passed over for two or three yrs. and allowed to roam around until time toslaughter...it was shot at from the day it had one antler5" long and survived to become a trophy by being wild and cunning.
Thistype of hunting is not for everyone because you may go a full season without even seeing a buck..the deer are very nocturnal and population is low.Istarted this yr. to hunt with flintlocks I build and that has really added to the hunt.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about the big racks being the best hunt. My father's 13 point buck was probably the shortest and easiest hunt of his career. This last year, the biggest rack inmy area was taken by someone hunting in the middle of an open field with minimal cover. That's not to say that some big bucks can't be a damn hard hunt, though. As for quality of meat, if I have one tag to fill, I'll take a young'in that translates into some very good steaks and roasts as opposed to a 200 pounder that gets turned into burger. No problem with those who do the opposite, I'm just offering another post on where I draw the line.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:28 PM

If a buck is legal I shoot him..if I feel like it. That's what I like about the public land I hunt..2 bucks a day..if you can and want to. I personally don't really think the trophy bucks are any harder to come by than any other deer...until you decide to hunt one particuliar one on open public land. Then it gets tough. I may see a big one right out in the open, during the middle of the morning or afternoon..but 99.9% of the time it's the first and only time I will see him. It's that 1/10% of my hunting time that is successful that gets me up every morning to do it all over again.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Greg H.
Sounds like the only thing that brings you satisfaction withhunting is killing something withbig horns. That's a shame IMO. The sport is heading more and more that way and farther away from the pure essence of hunting.

I think your blanket statement that "everyone is after big racks" couldn't be farther from the truth. There's a lot more that drives me and others to hunt than chasing the biggest buck in the county. If that ever becomes the sole purpose for me, I'll hang it up. I get as much enjoyment out of shooting a doe as I do a 150" buck. My heart beats just as hard watching a small buck go by my stand as it does when I'm about ready to release an arrow at a mature buck.

Obviously if a big buck was standing in front of any hunter they would shoot it. That's a moot point. If I ever get to the point where my only enjoyment from hunting is whether I get a certain class buck or not then I'll quit.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Greg H.
Sounds like the only thing that brings you satisfaction withhunting is killing something withbig horns. That's a shame IMO. The sport is heading more and more that way and farther away from the pure essence of hunting.

I think your blanket statement that "everyone is after big racks" couldn't be farther from the truth. There's a lot more that drives me and others to hunt than chasing the biggest buck in the county. If that ever becomes the sole purpose for me, I'll hang it up. I get as much enjoyment out of shooting a doe than a 150" buck. My heart beats just as hard watching a small buck go by my stand as it does when I'm about ready to release an arrow at a mature buck.

Obviously if a big buck was standing in front of any hunter they would shoot it. That's a moot point. If I ever get to the point where my only enjoyment from hunting is whether I get a certain class buck or not then I'll quit.
HERE HERE NY ... WELL SAID..CAN I GET AN AMEN! ....

dd
Old 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as "drawing the line,"as I've said, I have not hunted high fences, guided hunts, or even high dollar places!
But, like it or not, $$$ is becoming a big part of hunting! While its not exactly what most of us would call "hunting," not all "high fences" are "feeder pens!" Do the math! 30,000 acres is several square miles!
As for guided hunts, I can see if you are 1000's ofmiles away from a hunting spot,and paid big $$$ to book a hunt, you might want a "guide," because of distance, and time restrictions!
I can also step back, and see that not all people have the time, or maybeeven the physical ability to scout out a place of their own, and do all the "work" involved in hunting! I just happen to like it all! From the scouting, to the meat proccessing!
Yes, some may just be lazy, some may have more money, than time, or even brains, for that matter! But, if it is legal,it really does allow more people to enjoy the sport of "hunting!"
Even if its not, what most of us would call "hunting!
There was a time when I have been in awe of, and even maybe a little envious at people who could afford 180+ class bucks, that didn't take near the effort I put into hunting!
Now, I say if you want to spend 15,000 dollars on a deer, go ahead!
My doe, or "better than average buck for the area," are my trophies!
So, I guess I draw the line at being legal!

Quick Reply: Where do you draw the line??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.