Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes I've hunted with snow on the ground!
91.46%
No I have never hunted in the snow!
8.54%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Hunting in the Snow

Old 01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hunting in the Snow

Who has and who hasn't hunted while there was snow on the ground! I myself just love to be in the woods while there's snow on the ground or while it's snowing, for me there's nothing like it!
Old 01-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the Snow

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I myself just love to be in the woods while there's snow on the ground or while it's snowing, for me there's nothing like it!
Same here...
Old 01-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wish we could just get a little cold weather. Today it was around 80 degrees, pure miserable. The bucks still havn't started a full rut. With the season ending on the 31st it looks like we may completely miss the full rut this year.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, I can't say that I've hunted in the snow, its only snowed about 4 or 5 times in my lifetime here!
Old 01-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I LOVE hunting in the snow. It's awesome. This year I had an interesting experience with it though. I shot a huge and I mean HUGE doe 150 lbs. dressed,....I hit by the back hip, exited through the front shoulder, *she was quarting away hard* and found lots of hair on top of the snow (this was very very fresh snow) found some hair with matted blood on it. The blood she was losing made a trail in the snow, but showed no red because it melted right down through the snow, all you could see was a path where here feet were, and blood on both sides that had fallen through the snow. It was tough picking up blood due to the fact it had melted through but you could see where it had melted through and there were lots of long streams of blood. We dug up where we saw the blood had melted through and found it frozen about a foot down. It was about 10 degrees that day. It was one of the most memorable hunts I will ever have i believe. Other than that I love hunting in snow that's only a couple inches deep and it's been on the ground for a while. It shows blood extremely well.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it before, but I can only remember seeing one deer and it was about 200 yards off.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:08 PM

There is nothing like a fresh snow fall the night before you go hunting. Because then there is alot of fresh track, it is really quiet walking and it's really easy to track your animal. I hunt in the snow all most all the time and if there is snow on the ground i find that it sucks for hunting because then the animals arent up and moving trying to keep warm so therefore you have to go in after them.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:22 PM

blood and snow is like a neon sign for finding a deer!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:07 AM

I love it if it is notwindy. The wood just comes alive with all tracks on fresh snow telling what has happened during the night.
Beatiful and quiet, just great.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

hate snow ( Satan Salt )

Quick Reply: Hunting in the Snow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.