Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

CWD found in the muscle.

Old 01-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default CWD found in the muscle.

I read an article this morning in Guns and Ammo that CWD virus had been found in the meat and muscle of deer, Up until now I thought it was just found in the brain and spinal cord, wonder what this means for us that clean and eat our deer, I hope nothing, I would hate to have to give up that delicious venison, anyone else heard anything about this?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CWD found in the muscle.

New Scientist Prion disease found lurking in deer muscle ...
Old 01-28-2006, 05:10 PM

I don't know if CWD can affect humans, but there is evidence that mad cow disease can which is another TSE.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

My NYbuck tastes just great and I won't worry.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I here ya strut, I would hate to give up them back straps.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:48 PM

I hunt 10 miles from where CWD was found in Wisconsin. There is still much to be learned of this disease. It should not surprise anyone that CWD has been found to reside in the meat.

The fact is, CWD is hear to stay and it is spreading quickly. I was involved in the Wisconsin's Eradication Zone hunts. We had 100-135 deer per square mile near Mount Horeb, Black Earth and Blue Mounds, WI. We eradicated a lot but certainly not all. When deer travel up to 3 miles a day in some instances, how can you contain this?

CWD will not keep me out of the woods nor should it anyone else.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would'nt go as far as to saying that I worry about it but I sure don't want to feed my family something that might be deadly.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Reb for the article, that is a different one than the one I saw.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well CWD is not going away anytime soon. Rest assured it will become MUCH, MUCH worse before it gets ANY better.

As it seems right now thebest defense against spread is to try to do everything we can to eliminate transfer of infection thru mucous at places where many deer gather such as things like cattle feeders and bait piles.

Equally important is thinning the herds to balanced population levels.

As MDBUCKHUNTER sez..... We had 100-135 deer per square mile near Mount Horeb, Black Earth and Blue Mounds, WI.

It's darn near impossible to not have spit swapping with herds at those levels. Heck at those levels, you practically have to climb over deer to get to a stand.

Let's face it - we're in for a long run. Sp let's top the tanks off and do what we can. I believe first priority is whacking ALOT of does. And when I say whack ALOT of does I do mean.................... ALOT!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 PM

I'd agree that CWD is not going away anytime soon and I'm sure it will eventually make its way into the Minnesota herd. I think taking swift action like you're doing in Wisconsin is about the only solution. I guess its a matter of probably never being able to eradicate it totally, but manage it the best you can to hopefully miniscule levels.

I don't know much about the New Scientist publication. Checked out their web site and seems like they like to take a sensational angle with many of their articles - as do many publications these days. But they did report the testing was done on mice and not people and sometimes those tests are apples to oranges given the amount of the drug or disease the mouse is exposed to. They also mentioned that the muscle tissue given to the mice was only from sick animals, not animals who were simply incubating the disease. So they have not yet determined if that makes a difference.

It will be interesting to see how organizations and other publications who are keeping close tabs on CWD will respond to this new report. One -theChronicWasting Alliance - has a lot of good practical information on its site.

I definitely think CWD is a serious matter but I think we need to review new information like that in the New Scientist carefully before jumping to any conclusions. They haven't proved bird flu can jump from human to human yet but that's all the news media clamored over for weeks/months.

I'd rather be safe than sorry and not find out after the fact that muscle tissue can indeed transfer CWD to humans, but I also don't want to spread fear. Case in point - one of our local news channels did an investigative report during sweeps week claiming a local man died of a brain disease he got from eating CWD infected deer at a Wisconsin game feed. They had his widow on the news crying. Turns out afterward, they belive the disease was the result of something else and the news channel had to correct itself. But that didn't matter, the damage had already been done.

Quick Reply: CWD found in the muscle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.