Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Should Hunting with Drug Tipped Arrows Be legal? >

Should Hunting with Drug Tipped Arrows Be legal?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes it should be legal in all states becasue it is more humane
10.71%
No I think it should be illlegal in any state
72.32%
Im not sure I need to do more research on the topic
16.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Should Hunting with Drug Tipped Arrows Be legal?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Should Hunting with Drug Tipped Arrows Be legal?

Archery would quickly be a 200 yard shot poke and hope derby. No ethics needed,just let her fly.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Archery would quickly be a 200 yard shot poke and hope derby. No ethics needed,just let her fly.
Im sorry but why would that be a problem if the only options are clean hit or clean miss?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

You don't think that would be a public relations nightmare?

Plus the fact that not what archery hunting is about.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you bowhunt in Sweden 3D?

Do you know the problems we face already with how our sport is protrayed?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer (& all the hoofed animal family) are stated to be approximately 1000 times more sensitive than humans to Anectine®. Anectine must be introduced into the blood stream to have any effect. The only scenario that Anectine® would possibly allow you to harvest a deer with a marginal hit is with a flesh muscular wound where the Anectine® powder is introduced into the blood stream via absorption by the muscular blood vessels. In addition to the National Bowhunting Educational Foundation, the Pope & Young Club, The National Field Archery Association, The Professional Bowhunters Society, and The American Archery Council are opposed to the use of drugged arrows.
Information on Anectine® (succinylcholine)

As a surgeon I have access to the pure biological grade of Anectine® (succinylcholine) and in my formative years as a bowhunter I used Anectine® and had the opportunity to witness its effects on harvesting deer. I soon realized that a properly placed shot in the vital zone would achieve a quick clean harvest before Anectine had a chance to take effect (as manifested by generalized muscular twitching). It is a potent muscle relaxant used primarily as a supplemental agent in anesthesiology during surgery.
This is the 'poison' used to load the pods that are secured to the arrow. Deer (and all the hoofed animal family) are stated to be approximately 1000 times more sensitive than humans to Anectine®. A human adult takes approximate 60 milligrams to produce complete muscular paralysis while a deer will require less than 1 milligram to accomplish the same paralytic state. Anectine® must be introduced into the blood stream to have any effect. It will usually not be of any benefit on a gut shot as it is diluted by the paunch and intestinal contents and rarely gets into the blood stream via the paunch.
The only scenario that Anectine® would possibly allow you to harvest a deer with a marginal hit is with a 'flesh' muscular wound where the Anectine® powder is introduced into the blood stream via absorption by the muscular blood vessels. After careful analysis of all available information and experience, the National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) has taken the stand that it does not approve the use of drugged arrows or drug carrying mechanisms, such as the Pod. In addition to the NBEF, the Pope & Young Club, The National Field Archery Association, The Professional Bowhunters Society, and The American Archery Council are opposed to drugged arrows.
Another issue is that use or legalization of the pod on a widespread basis would lead the public to believe that our conventional bowhunting equipment is not effective enough to use without the aid of drugs. Nothing could be further form the truth, but the truth would not matter, if we send a totally different message. I personally no longer use Anectine as I don't want to give the anti-hunter any additional ammunition to assist in their efforts in banning bowhunting. I have too much passion for our sport.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
bigcountry

So Charlie where do you draw the line on whats ethical? Let me guess, it takes common sense.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ethics are a personal thing,where do I draw the line?

I wouldn't use a pod.
I don't bait.
I don't shoot after dark.
I would never shoot an animal out of season,for the meat. I would kill one that's injured.
I don't set up a stand within 100 yards of someone.

Do you want more examples.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
bigcountry

Not at all, I was just pointing out, that ethicsare a personal thing and should involve common sense.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie at least you know the meaning of the word "ethics" unlike some people.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

You don't think that would be a public relations nightmare?

Plus the fact that not what archery hunting is about.
Charlie I am NOT trying to pick at you ...BUT when you make a blanket statement like these it really bothers me (not that you care) "Not what archery is about" WHO say's?? ...and "no Ethics" ....the meaning ofWhat archery is all about and eithics is all conjecture .... if you want to try a 200 yard shot with a bow knowing it will either be a clean kill (using a pod that I am NOT promoting just making a point)or a clean miss what is unetical about that ..I see no difference in that and a rifle hunter taking a 500 yard running shot at a buck on a bush push ... I understand it if YOU find it unethical and not YOUR definition of archery but others may not find anything wrong with it.

dd

Quick Reply: Should Hunting with Drug Tipped Arrows Be legal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.