Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 So....How'd your season go??  Doc, we all know bout yours >

So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

Old 01-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

since this was my first year hunting deer i guess i did ok.
missed a doe at 35-40 yds. then we went back in the blind thinking no more deer would come through but one unlucky doe did. there were two big spikes fighting at a feeder 10 yards away! it was the first time me or my dad had seen deer fighting and he had been hunting for 29 years! it was management property and i couldnt shoot a buck or there would be a nice spike in the freezer. i took the doe down quick, dragged her out, then took off to drag out another HUGE doe, and track another guys deer. we got back at about 1:30 am. but it was an experince i will never forget!

(i was the only one to get a deer this year in our hunting group)

Old 01-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

since this was my first year hunting deer i guess i did ok.
missed a doe at 35-40 yds. then we went back in the blind thinking no more deer would come through but one unlucky doe did. there were two big spikes fighting at a feeder 10 yards away! it was the first time me or my dad had seen deer fighting and he had been hunting for 29 years! it was management property and i couldnt shoot a buck or there would be a nice spike in the freezer. i took the doe down quick, dragged her out, then took off to drag out another HUGE doe, and track another guys deer. we got back at about 1:30 am. but it was an experince i will never forget!

(i was the only one to get a deer this year in our hunting group)
Well KIlla sounds like a HECK of a first year ...CONGRATS of that FAT doe !!

dd
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

thank ya dd, if only i had the time to hunt like you did!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I shot 2 doe, my friend shot a doe, and my cousin shot a button buck[:@](my mistake). No misses. My first doe was an almost miss. Tracked her for five hrs.! My dad and I were crosseyed for 2 days afterwards from following the tiny droplets of blood.Can't wait till next season!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Thanks for the feedback ya'll. I'm glad to hear that you have had productive seasons.
Doc-- I have considered a pendulum sight, but hear that it's worthless on level ground. Is that true? If not, I'll certainly consider getting one.
NY-- Yep, I practice from stands using my hunting clothes in various conditions and am usually pretty consistant. The first and second bow misses came less than 5 minutes apart. I misjudged the first and shot over her and then was so pissed that I flubbed the chance at the second doe that came in a few minutes later. The bow miss last night I'm convinced was an anchor point problem. It was windy and cold and I neglected to move my face mask out of the way and therefore did not get my kisser button into the corner of my mouth. Stupid rookie mistake and I deserve the miss. I'm just grateful that it was a "clean" miss and I did not wound the deer. The other miss really befuddles me. I had lasered the yardage, was not nervous, conditions right and it just missed. Who knows sometimes.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Craig
I had a good season, buck with a bow, buck with a gun and three turkeys, one spring and two fall. I took five shots and got five animals, I can't complain.

I'm not trying to start any arguments here, but I just don't like sights that move and hinge on my bow. Too many moving parts leads to more problems. Over the years I've learned a few tricks for shooting out of tree stands. First of all, when shooting out of a tree stand, you must keep your form in tact. You must bend at the waist and keep your form at full draw just like you are when standing on the ground. Do NOT lower your bow arm to aim, it changes your sight angle and you will shoot high.
Another important thing to consider is the yardage you are shooting for. Once you get about 20 feet and higher in the tree, you have to subtract yardage from what your range finder tells you. This is because you are ranging the hypotenuse ( long side ) of a right triangle. The correct yardage to shoot for is the yardage from your target to the base of your tree. For example, when I ranged to a trail from 25 feet in my tree stand, it told me the distance was 23 yards. It just didn't seem right, so when I got down, I ranged it from the ground and it was 20 yards. For stands 27 feet or higher, I subtract 4 yards from distances ranged from the tree stand. These differences may seem small, but in the right situation it can mean the difference between a hit and a miss or worse yet, a wounded animal.
In short, if you bend at the waist and know the correct yardage you should be ok with your fixed pin sight. Excitement, buck fever - that's a whole nother thing, pick a spot the size of a quarter and focus on it until your arrow hits the target!
Old 01-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Thanks for the feedback ya'll. I'm glad to hear that you have had productive seasons.
Doc-- I have considered a pendulum sight, but hear that it's worthless on level ground. Is that true? If not, I'll certainly consider getting one.
NY-- Yep, I practice from stands using my hunting clothes in various conditions and am usually pretty consistant. The first and second bow misses came less than 5 minutes apart. I misjudged the first and shot over her and then was so pissed that I flubbed the chance at the second doe that came in a few minutes later. The bow miss last night I'm convinced was an anchor point problem. It was windy and cold and I neglected to move my face mask out of the way and therefore did not get my kisser button into the corner of my mouth. Stupid rookie mistake and I deserve the miss. I'm just grateful that it was a "clean" miss and I did not wound the deer. The other miss really befuddles me. I had lasered the yardage, was not nervous, conditions right and it just missed. Who knows sometimes.
Again, thanks for the feedback.
Craig
I had a good season, buck with a bow, buck with a gun and three turkeys, one spring and two fall. I took five shots and got five animals, I can't complain.

I'm not trying to start any arguments here, but I just don't like sights that move and hinge on my bow. Too many moving parts leads to more problems. Over the years I've learned a few tricks for shooting out of tree stands. First of all, when shooting out of a tree stand, you must keep your form in tact. You must bend at the waist and keep your form at full draw just like you are when standing on the ground. Do NOT lower your bow arm to aim, it changes your sight angle and you will shoot high.
Another important thing to consider is the yardage you are shooting for. Once you get about 20 feet and higher in the tree, you have to subtract yardage from what your range finder tells you. This is because you are ranging the hypotenuse ( long side ) of a right triangle. The correct yardage to shoot for is the yardage from your target to the base of your tree. For example, when I ranged to a trail from 25 feet in my tree stand, it told me the distance was 23 yards. It just didn't seem right, so when I got down, I ranged it from the ground and it was 20 yards. For stands 27 feet or higher, I subtract 4 yards from distances ranged from the tree stand. These differences may seem small, but in the right situation it can mean the difference between a hit and a miss or worse yet, a wounded animal.
In short, if you bend at the waist and know the correct yardage you should be ok with your fixed pin sight. Excitement, buck fever - that's a whole nother thing, pick a spot the size of a quarter and focus on it until your arrow hits the target!
Greg I think you make somevery good points ..but it still comes down to being able to judge yardage from an elivated stand and not everyone ( the average hunter)can do that on a consitant basis...andI have to say that I hunted with the Penduglum for over 20 years and never had any type of equipment failure with the mechanism ...the first Kellers where kind of noisie but they later corrected that problem.
dd
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM

i had a good year in the begininig but then after i got my first buck a 9point i never got a chance to shoot again
Old 01-25-2006, 03:38 PM

let's see...

2 does on back to back days off of the local lake( public) during bow season. A fat doe on the shotgun opener, and a tall tined 8 with 2 identical kickers off the G2's on the second day of shotgun.

4 shots, 4 deer.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a good season it is the best one i had in a while i missed a doe early in the season with my bow i missed judged it with a sharp angle out of the deer stand and i got my 8 pt during the rut on nov 24 wit the 7mm-08 biggest deer i have killed yet
Old 01-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

I had an awesome yr, I seen all kinds of action, bucks fighting, responding to the grunt, etc.
I took 7 total. 2 with the bow a buck and a doe, and 5 with the rifle a buck and 4 doe. and let a nice young 6pt and a young 8pt walk, seen numerous spikes. I cant wait for next yr.
on the yardage deal I practice at 20 yrds and pace it off at 25. usually whenI set my stand up I try to get a tree thats in the 25 range.I dont like taking shots over 25 yrds. usually that 1 pin will cover anything up to 25.

Quick Reply: So....How'd your season go?? Doc, we all know bout yours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.