Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Trail Cam - expensive luxury or money well spent? >

Trail Cam - expensive luxury or money well spent?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trail Cam - expensive luxury or money well spent?

Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trail Cam - expensive luxury or money well spent?

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a trail cam or not. I've been checking the prices and they range from $400 on the high side to less than $100 on the cheap side. From what I've been reading, Cuddeback is the standard, but for $400 I could buy another rifle or something. I'm just having a tough time trying to convince myself that a trail cam is worth the money when someone could steal it or vandalize it. My biggest fear is that I'd be out $400. I have my own land that is posted, but that has never stopped anyone but the law abiding.

I've learned my lesson when it comes to buying cheap stuff. So quality is the way to go here. I would like to get some opinions from some fellow deer hunters here. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:54 AM

Default RE: Trail Cam - expensive luxury or money well spent?

My one buddy swears buy them and he gets nice big bucks every year. He has come to work and actually said that "tomarrow im going out and kill that nice ten and it will be around 10:30am" And sure enough he comes back to work with dead pics[:@]. and he is the one that has convinced me to get one. You can pattern deer realy good with a trail cam. I just bought a cudeback and I know its hard to spend the money and I would have not but I got an award from work for cabelas so thats what I got. Have still not set it up just got it last week but cant wait until I do. I also know alot of guys having good success with the 100 multitree. Myother buddy has the multitree and gets about two thirds good pics and one third blank or bad but hey when its digital does it matter?

Old 01-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

they get stolen around my area to much
Old 01-24-2006, 04:10 PM

depends on how you use it......

And yes I have had three stolen in the past two years... SOB's
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 PM

i'd save your money and buy a rifle scope or putittowards a new rifle. this is just me, but i think of it's kinda cheating. i get alot ofpleasurefrom taking a deer by scouting around and finding tracks, bedding ares, etc. i like to givethe deer a chance.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marinepride
I have owned an oldMoultrie film camera and a Cuddeback which were both junk. My brother did some research and learned howto build a digital trail cambefore therewas anaffordable commercial model. I still have my homemade digital camand also a Camtrakker digital which I love. I am considering buying a Camtrakker Ranger for $425. TheRanger is a great unit and very user friendly.

Trail cameras are an expensive luxury, but I won't be without at least one.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Idon't own the expensive models, but I have to say, I enjoy setting and checking the camera. It is knida exciting to see that you have several pictures taken over nite and I get anxious to see what I got pictures of. Those with cameras will understand.

Maybe buy a cheap one and see how you like it before you take the plunge.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

My one buddy swears buy them and he gets nice big bucks every year. He has come to work and actually said that "tomarrow im going out and kill that nice ten and it will be around 10:30am" And sure enough he comes back to work with dead pics[:@].
This is the main reason why I don't have alot of interest in them...I think they are great for general scouting, but when it gets to this level I personally would find something missing from such a hunt.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM

my step dad and i went in and got one of the $99 wildviews after seeing some post on here. we tested it and its ready to go now. tonight will be the first night so hopefuly we get some pictures in a few days.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too think it cheating to a point. Some day we will have a way to follow a certain deer with a g.p.s. and just go out and shoot it.

Istill forgoing out and hunting. We don't need to have all the advantages over the deer.

Quick Reply: Trail Cam - expensive luxury or money well spent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.