Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Help.. what do you do?

Old 10-17-2002, 04:46 PM

Default Need Help.. what do you do?

i have been thinking about what i am going to do when i am in my stand this year. I have never hunted in a tree stand before and i am curious on where do i put my gun?
i just bought a summit python XLS. it dosen't have any kind of gun holder like on them tree lounges.
i would like to hear what you all do with your rifles when you are on stand all day?
i was thinking of a utlity belt or one of the hangers on the tree. but i would like to hear FROM EXPERIENCE.
thank you for your all help

Old 10-17-2002, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need Help.. what do you do?

Your foot rest flips over to be a gun rest. Put it together and sit in a tree in your backyard to get familiar with your stand.

Old 10-17-2002, 05:44 PM

I went to Wal-mart and got some of those rubber covered Y things.they have threads that screw in. you can put them on the side,and lay your gun in them. or you can put one on each side and lay it across.

you can get <font size=5>L shapes,Y shapes,or hooks.</font id=size5> I use the Y shaped ones.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Timber is right,try it in your back yard and get to know your stand first before going out in your woods.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ABSOLUTELT. Set the stand up in the back yard then customize it for YOUR needs. Install plastic tubeing/tape if require to dampen any noises dureing transport to and from. Add some hooks,ect, a place to hook your back pack. Make a small shelf where you can put game calls, camera, ect. Make the stand fit your needs and be compfortable and above all, BE SAFE. Good luck, Bobby
Old 10-17-2002, 09:31 PM

I am not familar with the stand but if you have rails on the top part you might also consider getting some of that foam rubber pipe insulation.

&quot;Size may not matter but it sho IS nice!&quot; [/quote]
Old 10-17-2002, 09:52 PM

guys I just don't see the comment about the footrest turning over. I looked at one and it doesn't make sense.

http://www.fallfever.com/pics/sum_pythonxls.jpg

Edited by - sooner_hunter on 10/17/2002 22:54:23
Old 10-18-2002, 02:55 AM

the foot rest flips up to be as a kind of gun rest to steady as shot.
as for practicing in my backyard. i have 2 trees that are small enough for this stand. if i brought my gun out. my neighbors would call the cops.
i have tried the thing with the rest upwards, but if i have to get up tp take a piss i would like to have my hands free.

Old 10-18-2002, 03:36 AM

can't edit for some reason..

timbercruiser...
forgot to add thi sin. but the gun rest/foot rest, when it is in the &quot;UP&quot; position it is also kinda far frontwards wise.
if i knew i was gonna have this problems with the python XLS. i would of bought the viper instead.