Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Near Death Experience

Old 01-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Near Death Experience

Too many times to count, the two that i remember the most were; once when I was coyote hunting with a friend of mine. He was using a 30/30 that hadn't been fired in many years and we were just walking side by side and his gun just went off on it's own sending the bullet inches in front of my nose. It scared him more than me, but it was to close for comfort. The other time I was bowhunting and I was slipping up on some deer at the end of a brushy fencerow. As I was doing this, I noticed a truck drive to the back of the field across the holler from me. I saw 2 guys get out and walk towards the woods, then one yelled there's one! About that time I heard a gun shot and a limb snapped off at eye level about 8 inches in front of me, then another shot hit right behind me. I dove behind the closest tree as they continued to unload their rifles on my position, They fired some 15 shots or so, kicking up the dirt on both sides of me. I was MORTIFIED, too scared to yell or anything. You really got to watch those poachers
Old 01-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Spike

I had 2 experiences myself. First one happened while turkey hunting. I had just left my father set up in his blind and I started to walk through the field to the other side. It was about 9 am. As I'm walking toward the crest of the hill I noticed something walking directly toward me in the middle of the field. It was a black bear, just under 200lbs. I stopped, but it just kept walking. Finally it stopped about 30 yards away. It stood up on It's hind legs and bobbed his head a few times. He walked to the left then back to the right. Finally he figured I was no threat and he continued to walk directly toward me. I started to back up to stay between the bear and my father, and he backed me right up to the blind. He smelled the turkey decoys and then just continued to walk past us as if we were not there.
The second not as exciting... I had just attached my tree stand to a large old pine tree, that I've hunted from before. I was just about to climb and I realized that I forgot to put out my scent. As I walk away from the tree a huge branch came crashing out of the tree and smashed my tree stand.
The branch was so bigit my mangled stand.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well about 3 yrs ago I shot a nice ten ,and my uncle shot a spike on a drive in WI. We had the deer back to the truck and taking about the hunt when we heard a rifle go off and the bullets whizzing by. one after another. we hit the ground and I low crawled to the truck and honked the horn for a while and the shots stopped. may not have been to close, but when when you here the bullet its to close.

My uncle had a black bear climb his tree and swat at him.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:36 AM

If a wolf got the jump on me like that I would have put an arrow in him. I have already decided that when a large predator is within arms length of me he is TOO close and he is going to get it, before he gets me.

Yet another reason why I don't bow hunt. You want the thrill of bow hunting? Stalk your game within 40 yards and shoot it with a rifle! Deer hunters who want the thrill of bowhunting should use a 12 gauge with buckshot.

My safety comes first in the woods, and if I was hunting where there were bears or wolves or lions I would have at least a pistol with me.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: lildevock

i had just shot a doe, and after my buddy and i tracked it,we decided to return to my stand so i could get my pack out of it, well, i was climbing up the ladder, and he was right below me when allof a sudden a heard a loud bang and my ears started to ring. Wha thappened was he was right below me and the 7mm mag accidentally went off and went right next to where i was climbing.. i was so scared i start checking myself for holes.
Just curious - who's gun was it? Was someone holding it when it went off? Do you have any idea why it went off?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: TomFromTheShade

If a wolf got the jump on me like that I would have put an arrow in him. I have already decided that when a large predator is within arms length of me he is TOO close and he is going to get it, before he gets me.

My safety comes first in the woods, and if I was hunting where there were bears or wolves or lions I would have at least a pistol with me.
I don't have any problem if you take a wolf for hunting purposes - assuming legal. But they don't attack humans, not like a bear or cat. I'm totally with you about being in bear or large cat country - protection is important.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 PM

I live in SW lower Michigan and about 15 years ago I got permission to hunt a 40 acre square swamp about a mile off the road. It had very thick brush and was so mucky you couldn't walk through it without sinking in. A river made a big bend around it so it never froze in the winter time. We had a week of temperatures below zero and I figured now was my chance to get in there because I knew there were some nice deer in there late in the season. I was gingerly making my way through the middle of it when I heard a crack and the next thing I knew I was in up to my armpits. I tried grabbing some brush to pull myself out but it just broke off in my hands. I had to break ice for about 20 yards struggling through the mud until I finally found some brush strong enough to pull myself out. My truck was still 200 yards away and boy was I cold! The temp was right at zero. I headed for my truck as fast as I could but by the time I got there my pants were frozen so solid I couldn't bend my knees. It was all I could do to dig out my keys and unlock and start my truck. I pulled myself onto the seat and laid with my feet sticking out the open door until the heater unfroze my legs enough so that I could drive home. Afterwards, I realized I hadn't told my wife where I was going hunting. I might not have been found for awhile. ps-during my struggle, I lost my favorite orange hunting cap. I didn't go back for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: zekeskar

ORIGINAL: lildevock

i had just shot a doe, and after my buddy and i tracked it,we decided to return to my stand so i could get my pack out of it, well, i was climbing up the ladder, and he was right below me when allof a sudden a heard a loud bang and my ears started to ring. Wha thappened was he was right below me and the 7mm mag accidentally went off and went right next to where i was climbing.. i was so scared i start checking myself for holes.
Just curious - who's gun was it? Was someone holding it when it went off? Do you have any idea why it went off?
He was using another buddy of mine's 7 mag and didnt know it was loaded when he tapped the trigger... freakin dumbass, that was the last time i hunted with him.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:45 AM

Very near death... November 4, 2000 I was dragging a deer out through a thick stand of small pines, bow kill. I was 10' from the trail and a 14yr old Native took a sound shot at me through the pines, 20 yrds away. The 30-06 bullet went through the middle of my right bicep. Luckily for me the way my arm was turned from dragging the deer bullet missed the bone and my artery by 2mm. My buddy heard me yelling at the kids and came running through the bush. He took me out 1 mile by atv to the truck and it was another 12 miles to the hospital in Spooner, WI. I ended up being air lifted to another hospital in Duluth, MN where I spent 2.5 hrs in surgery to have the artery in my arm replaced with a vein from my leg. Had nightmares for almost a year. Finally went back to the area 2 weeks ago for the first time. I guess it could have been worse.