Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

West Texas Elk

Old 01-18-2006, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default West Texas Elk

This is an Elk I shot in West Texas last year. He was huge to me. I had a shoulder mount done, my first Elk. I didnt know it at the time, but there is huge heards of elk in west Texas and some world class bulls.........uhhhhhhh, this one isnt world class but a trophy to me for sure. 5X4 and went about 500lbs. I was sitting in my blind on a rainy evening deer hunting and out steps this thing......I almost passed out. Shot him with my weatherby .270, he ran about 40 yards and down he went.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 PM

Default RE: West Texas Elk

Thats a nice bull you got there. Here in alberta if the horns are that long they are usually just a spiker so it's weird for me to see that it has tines.But for your first elk it's one hell of a kill.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

looks big to me i have never seen one
Old 01-18-2006, 06:06 PM

congrats. on a nice one. as you said , I would have also passed out.[&:][&:][8D]
Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! I wouldn't have thought there were elk in TX either.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice bull! Congrats any animal I shoot is a trophy in my book!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 PM

No way! I didn't know there was elk in Texas! haha I'll have to go out west one of these days, nice job!
Old 01-18-2006, 07:17 PM

Nice Kill thats awesome!

About elk in texas, any elk that are in Texas, besides small herds in the Guadalupe mountains which are not hunted, are either behind a high fence or have escaped from a high fenced ranch. It is not uncommon after a heavy rain in the hill country or any part of texas for that matter, for the fences to get knocked down on some of those exotic ranches and have exotics wandering off onto a ranch nearby. Anything that escapes from an exotic ranch is fair game, all year long, and no tag is necessary and this is true for elk.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

8Point, where were you hunting at?Near what town? I have heard various reports of elk in West Texas, and that they are becoming more common. One I heard about 2 years ago was killed up in Tulia. The bull weighed over 900 lbs. What the TPW said was that when New Mexico had all these fires in the mountains at the time, it pushed alot of elk to the east into Texas. Larry
Old 01-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.rmef.org/wapiti/pages/05spring/texas.html

I was hunting westof the Uvalde area. This is an article I found online.

Quick Reply: West Texas Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.